622GW - Poor quality and No GPS

TiredPanda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally picked up a 622GW this week from Halfords.

First issue was lack of a GPS Lock unless placed outside of the car for 5-10 minutes , then rapidly loses it inside (Not a heated screen) , tried various positions in vehicle but no luck. Simply cannot get a GPS Signal. (Did get a new mount sent out, same issue)

Then after running it anyway with no gps , the quality is far below that of some of the youtube clips i've seen, night video is particularly poor.

Any tips/suggestions before i return it?

Check you've taken the plastic lens protector film off.

Regarding GPS it's unusual for all vehicle locations to be dead but outside OK.

How are you powering the unit inside/outside during your tests ?

Check you've taken the plastic lens protector film off.

Regarding GPS it's unusual for all vehicle locations to be dead but outside OK.

How are you powering the unit inside/outside during your tests ?

Powered via the included cig lighter cable for both methods. If I was to turn it on inside the car, mounted to the screen, it will not find a signal. If I move it outside of the car, its fine... Which I would say rules out interference in the cable... It's just odd that I can't get a signal inside when my phone is able to get a dead accurate lock?

It's just odd that I can't get a signal inside when my phone is able to get a dead accurate lock?
phones use A-GPS which is much better at getting signal, never a good comparison, doesn't have to be a heated windscreen, there are other types of windows which are also a problem for the simple GPS the camera uses, in some cases the vehicle will have a section of the screen which is not treated that doesn't interfere with the signal, if this is the case it is normally mentioned in the vehicle owners manual

What vehicle is it ?

Maybe someone else here has the same and can help.

You seem to be not alone:

The important bit "I’ve subsequently established that my car (2007 Audi Q7) has heat reflective glass so won’t allow a GPS signal through."

Interesting... Thanks for that, My google skills are obviously lacking!

Finally picked up a 622GW this week from Halfords.

First issue was lack of a GPS Lock unless placed outside of the car for 5-10 minutes , then rapidly loses it inside (Not a heated screen) , tried various positions in vehicle but no luck. Simply cannot get a GPS Signal. (Did get a new mount sent out, same issue)

Then after running it anyway with no gps , the quality is far below that of some of the youtube clips i've seen, night video is particularly poor.

Any tips/suggestions before i return it?
Hi there,

Our dashcams will use a combination of GPS and Glonass to provide telemetry information to your recordings so this would be very unusual to not be able to receive a signal, this is of course coverage area dependent.

In terms of the quality of the footage that you're viewing, can you confirm that you're viewing the High file and not the Low file on playback? Would it be possible for you to get in touch with an example of the footage to share with us at support@nextbase.com and also include the information regarding GPS signal so that we can investigate this further for you?

Regards,
Dan - Nextbase Technical Support

Hi, I'm having the same issue with the 622, I find the daytime footage is very grainy and the rear window camera footage is very blurry/out of focus on the 622, yet the same rear window camera plugged into my 522 is crystal clear and reads number plates no problems, I am very disappointed with the 622 the quality of the footage is poor at best, for a flagship model this is totally unacceptable, been in touch with Nextbase about it via Email and they just seem to give you a likely story "They'll look into it etc etc" a couple of months later still no update. There are far better Dashcams in the Nextbase range, namely the 522 than the 622 which are cheaper and miles better quality. I do regret buying the 622, I am just glad I only paid £150 for the 622 new from Nextbase website as I feel even at £150 it isn't worth it at all, so I feel sorry for anybody that has paid full for it as it is a very poor dashcam! If Nextbase don't fix it within the next few months it'll be getting sold on and I'll be trying another brand.

I've just hardwired a 622 into a brand new A4 and I'm massively underwhelmed by the quality of the images.

It's nowhere near the quality produced by the wife's 612.

On 4k, you can't see number plates at all, just a blur. Tried image stabilization on, that appeared to make it worse. Have set it to 1440p 60fps to see if that's any better, but I didn't expect to have to do that on a 4k cam.

Debating returning it and getting a Viofo.

I've noticed Nextbase have gone quiet lately on here again..

I went out in the car last week and the rear window cam footage is that poor you can't make any plates out at all and looks really of focus. Take the 622 out and put the old 522 in and the rear camera is crystal clear and make plates out even from distance. This 622 is not fit for sale imo.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I've noticed Nextbase have gone quiet lately on here again..

I went out in the car last week and the rear window cam footage is that poor you can't make any plates out at all and looks really of focus. Take the 622 out and put the old 522 in and the rear camera is crystal clear and make plates out even from distance. This 622 is not fit for sale imo.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Hi Rick,

The development team have been actively working on providing an update to the 622GW to improve image sharpness and is still in the testing stages at present, as with any of our products the desire to improve and add features is always present and helped by bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards,

Screenshot examples below.

The black Fiesta pic is my 622GW at 4k 30fps.

The silver Honda is the wife's 612GW at 1440 60fps.

The blue Citroen pic is also my 622GWnat 1440 60fps. View attachment 56172View attachment 56175

View attachment 56173
This is posted in one of the other forums on this site.

Post in thread 'Which Viofo to get?' https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/which-viofo-to-get.44237/post-543661

But, I've decided this camera is not for me, so ordered a Viofo A129 Pro

Hi there,

Our dashcams will use a combination of GPS and Glonass to provide telemetry information to your recordings so this would be very unusual to not be able to receive a signal, this is of course coverage area dependent.

In terms of the quality of the footage that you're viewing, can you confirm that you're viewing the High file and not the Low file on playback? Would it be possible for you to get in touch with an example of the footage to share with us at support@nextbase.com and also include the information regarding GPS signal so that we can investigate this further for you?

Regards,

I've already been i touch with support, had a new mount sent out, same issue , so bought a second one and returned the first as your support said that could be faulty.

Lo and behold... Same issue as before, no matter where i mount it on the windscreen, No GPS reception at all.

Audi don't seem to think it's the windscreen at fault and it's an audi oem screen , not a pattern part / aftermarket screen.

Are you able to confirm for me, if you are aware of other Audi Q7's with this camera fitted, without the issues reported?

Thanks

Did you see my post above, Mar 21st, that your car probably has a GPS blocking windscreen, as also complained about by other owners ?

I've already been i touch with support, had a new mount sent out, same issue , so bought a second one and returned the first as your support said that could be faulty.

Lo and behold... Same issue as before, no matter where i mount it on the windscreen, No GPS reception at all.

Audi don't seem to think it's the windscreen at fault and it's an audi oem screen , not a pattern part / aftermarket screen.

Are you able to confirm for me, if you are aware of other Audi Q7's with this camera fitted, without the issues reported?

Thanks
Hello,

I'd recommend a GPS test to ensure the GPS mount is functioning.

Here's the test:

1) Bring the camera and mount into your home or office. Attach the GPS mount to an external facing window so that it has a clear view of the sky.
2) Plug the camera mount in using the USB cable. Ensure the USB cable goes directly into the mount, and not into the camera. Ensure the Blue LED is illuminated and that the cam is receiving power.
3) Wait for 10 minutes. Do you see a GPS icon in the bottom right of the camera? What colour is the icon?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

I'd recommend a GPS test to ensure the GPS mount is functioning.

Here's the test:

1) Bring the camera and mount into your home or office. Attach the GPS mount to an external facing window so that it has a clear view of the sky.
2) Plug the camera mount in using the USB cable. Ensure the USB cable goes directly into the mount, and not into the camera. Ensure the Blue LED is illuminated and that the cam is receiving power.
3) Wait for 10 minutes. Do you see a GPS icon in the bottom right of the camera? What colour is the icon?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

That seems to get it a signal.

Audi claim there's nothing special about the screen that should stop it working. Have tried plugging it into other 12v sockets and that doesn't change it.

Any suggestions? I'm now outside the 28 day return window so taking it back is not an option... I can't understand why it won't work with my vehicle.

Also, r:e the footage, i expected 4k to be much sharper than it is, plates are still blurry till you are "on top of them" so to speak and i've checked, i'm using the high-res not low-res files. Should i change some settings?

That seems to get it a signal.

Audi claim there's nothing special about the screen that should stop it working. Have tried plugging it into other 12v sockets and that doesn't change it.

Any suggestions? I'm now outside the 28 day return window so taking it back is not an option... I can't understand why it won't work with my vehicle.

Also, r:e the footage, i expected 4k to be much sharper than it is, plates are still blurry till you are "on top of them" so to speak and i've checked, i'm using the high-res not low-res files. Should i change some settings?
The 622 I have picks up a signal in a 21 plate A4 which has an acoustic windscreen.

The quality on my camera is like yours. I'm disappointed. I'm installing a Viofo tomorrow and taking the Nextbase back to Argos as it's not fit for purpose.

Back