Smartphone can be a dashcam easily!

CAlvin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There is only this one phone can do that now
Samsung S4, Note2 and Note 3

Mount on your windows and start recording.. but recording including front and back at the same time

check this out:

easy use from S4, Note2, and note3 with front and back camera recording at the same time!3

Check it out!
No need 3rd party apps!

Quite interesting. A lot of nice features.

Few questions :

- what happens if somebody will call my phone on same time when I using it as 2ch camera recording ?
- how long PCB will last under those extreme recording conditions ?
- how long battery last before "exploding" working under constant extreme recordings ?
- if I want to monitor car in so called "parking mode" and leave 700usd gadget ( smartphone ) in car, - do I have to hire a security guy to watch for my car not be brake in to stole a phone ?

;)

Quite interesting. A lot of nice features.

Few questions :

- what happens if somebody will call my phone on same time when I using it as 2ch camera recording ?
- how long PCB will last under those extreme recording conditions ?
- how long battery last before "exploding" working under constant extreme recordings ?
- if I want to monitor car in so called "parking mode" and leave 700usd gadget ( smartphone ) in car, - do I have to hire a security guy to watch for my car not be brake in to stole a phone ?

;)

I guess this is a good temporary solution for when you find yourself driving someone else's car for a short while. Or if you're riding as a passenger but still wish you had your dashcam with you...

The rear camera is mostly useless. It is nice as it gets a nice overview, but does not replace having a rear cam. It is a good supplement as you can kinda see sides too, but not good enough without additional material to pin point say a hit and run.

As for using the smartphone, I would not recommend it. I did this with my Samsung S2 and before the summer was over the battery was puffing out and needed to be replaced. Not something I want to leave in my car either...too tempting for a thief. That being said, with the use of Prey and internet . . . if someone does break in and steal your dash cam in this case it might be better to be the phone as you might have a better chance of catching them.

Good question

1) I recorded once with 98mins long drive with 4000 resolution because I have 128Gb SD card
2)since the navigation does not require data. .. save so much battery worse case, car charger charge the phone same time
3)this is my phone. ..I won't leave My phone there:p
4) Samsung galaxy have a feature call multi task which record n answer call At the same time
5) did I answer all your questions?

I guess this is a good temporary solution for when you find yourself driving someone else's car for a short while. Or if you're riding as a passenger but still wish you had your dashcam with you...

I been using this feature almost a year dashcam navigation without using data
it's not even temporary use
it replace lots of things

The rear camera is mostly useless. It is nice as it gets a nice overview, but does not replace having a rear cam. It is a good supplement as you can kinda see sides too, but not good enough without additional material to pin point say a hit and run.

but why would I leave it on my car??
It's my phone!
Note 3 s4 s3 can't compare with s2
I have recorded 98mins before
only used up to 15% of my battery
Thx

As for using the smartphone, I would not recommend it. I did this with my Samsung S2 and before the summer was over the battery was puffing out and needed to be replaced. Not something I want to leave in my car either...too tempting for a thief. That being said, with the use of Prey and internet . . . if someone does break in and steal your dash cam in this case it might be better to be the phone as you might have a better chance of catching them.

I been using this feature almost a year dashcam navigation without using data
it's not even temporary use
it replace lots of things
Although doable, once you get a real dashcam, you will never go back.
I used my smart phone as a dashcam for awhile, but once I went mobius I never looked back.
Having a smart phone in your windshield also takes up some of your field of view.

That's weird how everyone said I would leave my phone in my car?
Why would I?
I only need to record when I am driving just in case

That's weird how everyone said I would leave my phone in my car?
Why would I?
I only need to record when I am driving just in case
They are saying that because a lot of people who use a dashcam leave it there 24/7. They do not want to have to remove it and place it back everytime they get in and out of the car. Also, if you do not leave it there, you cannot do parking mode.

I used my smart phone as a dashcam for awhile, but once I went mobius I never looked back.
Having a smart phone in your windshield also takes up some of your field of view.

maybe you are right. .I respect that. .but I been using this for more than 1 year. ..I have no problem and i am driving a yaris too. I put my note 3 center of my window but still OK. Also it's a extremely nice quality recording.

S
They are saying that because a lot of people who use a dashcam leave it there 24/7. They do not want to have to remove it and place it back everytime they get in and out of the car. Also, if you do not leave it there, you cannot do parking mode.

And you guys not afraid that get stolen??
Weird..?

Its not that we are afraid, it is just the difference of $700 vs $100 (average). Phones are bigger and more noticeable compared to a cam.

It is great you are using your phone as a cam. A cam is better than no cam. In terms of dash cams, it is a solution but not a proper one.

I loved using my smart phone as a dashcam. Thought it was great. But like I said, once I got a real dash cam, I never looked back.

I will never leave my phone there
i need to use my phone

Once I get in the car, I start recording just in case someone hit my car

$700 included cam , gps, phone , tv, everything. .. so why not
replace my laptop

Back