How do you review your videos?

Margate5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since there is no cloud available at this time what is the main way people watch footage? Is to take the card out of the device and hook it up to your computer that has a card reader? My only computer is my work laptop and it’s pretty restricted because of corporate security working for a financial institution. I use my iPad Pro personally.

And I don’t like having to sit in my car connected to the camera in order to watch footage which is the only way I’ve been able to watch so far.

Is it possible to connect the camera to my home WiFi network while the vehicle is parked in my garage so I can access from inside on the app or something along those lines? The WiFi signal is strong so the camera system should easily be able to connect to the home internet network. I just am not tech savvy so don’t know how to do it if possible.

I have AT&T fiber and have Google mesh WiFi connected if that means anything.

Thank you!

Most people transfer their video to a computer from their sd card to view, edit and archive selected videos.

One would use a standard media player or a dedicated dash cam media player such as Dashcam Viewer.

This would be the most optimal method.

Plugging the card into a laptop or PC works faster, makes it easy to save files, gives you a choice of several viewing platforms, and allows you to check/maintain the card.

Phil

Card in reader on USB 3,0 port = full speed enjoyment
I have had the option to play the memory card in my car Head unit, and also on a reader connected to my phone, but i have never used these inferior ways.

Mid you ! you have to be damn careful with these little spring loaded suckers, you will soon end up in the in the club of Unintentionally Ejected Memory Cards
Its only a few weeks since my last premature ejection, but i did find the card the next day, many loose it forever.

I had fiber in my house 10 years ago, and i do also have gigabit now on DOCIS 3.1 cable, so just 100 mbit going up :cautious: i am looking for apartment so i can get fiber again and not least proper 1000/1000 mbit, but i am picky about where i like to live.
The wifi in the dashcams are all slow, far from the 2 newest protocol speeds, maybe even slower still.

There is a ISP offering 5/5 gbit on fiber here, at a price my pension can afford, but they are not out on the greater net, more hanging out in building complexes around the Danish capitol.
But ! i am hoping they come out on the wider Danish fiber backbone, which is rather elaborate in expanse, but not in people on it as they have yet to get permission to tear up sidewalks in the major cities as they all have good cable options.

I can drive 10 KM in either direction, and fine a small village with 2 small farms and 10 houses and not long ago a shared outhouse, and you will be able to get fiber there.
Denmark are only so low on the connection speed charts as many where the fiber is are old people that do not care, or few people live in those areas.
When the fiber get into the major towns i recon that will change dramatic.

Also have 3 nationwide 5G networks going up

Last edited:
This is where cameras like the Viofo A119 score for me.

It's designed to quickly slide off and on the the mount with one hand. After each journey I lift it off, take it indoors, plug into USB and offload the footage using the dashcam as a card reader.

Far easier than my previous Nextbase 402 and 412 that always needed realigning due to ball joint movement.

I've read numerous posts of SDCards being ejected and lost in cars so that scenario I avoid.

Needs to on recent OS version and there's a files app used to access the card reader
Hi thanks for that I'm a bit noncomputer literate ‍I'm using an iPad Pro and using OS 14.4.2 what app do I need? Thanks in anticipation.

Wonder what specifically I need to buy as far as a card reader and adaptor for my specific iPad Pro. It’s the 2015 second generation model. Has lightening and I believe per this website can handle up to USB 3.0

So I would need a lightening to usb 3.0 adapter and then a micro SD card reader.

Something like these two items?

[Apple MFi Certified]Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter USB 3.0 OTG Cable Adapter Compatible with iPhone/iPad,USB Female Supports Connect Card Reader,U Disk,Keyboard,Mouse,USB Flash Drive-Plug&Play https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08LBL7Q6S
SmartQ C307 DUO SD Card Reader Portable USB 3.0 Flash Memory Card Adapter Hub for SD, Micro SD, SDXC, SDHC, MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, UHS-I for Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome, PC, Laptop, Switch (Duo) https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07VB6C3QJ

I find it very nice i can play footage directly from the memory card in the reader, you cant do that on inferior card readers on old USB ports.
The ports on the MAC should be plenty fast to do the same, so just need a reader that can keep up, and i would assume the original APPLE readers can do that.

I did a test not long ago comparing the readers provided with some cameras, and also the viofo A139 camera itself acting in mass storage mode, compared to my USB 3.0 Kingston card reader they was no chance.

Something like these two items?
Yes to what @jokiin said! Apple is VERY fussy about compatibility requirements for anything you want to plug into their mobile devices. Many aftermarket products that claim to be "Apple Certified" are not. If you check the reviews on the alleged "Apple Certified" link you posted you'll notice that many people report that the device doesn't work.

Buy the Apple card reader and you can be sure that it will function because it will communicate properly with your device.

Back