Dash cam keeps saying format Micro SD card yet won't work

Ahh right. I followed the guide on their site and it mentioned having to connect it to the PC.

With my current cam (Mio MiVue618 - I appreciate cams are different) I update the firmware exactly as you just said so I'll try that.

Slightly off topic, with my current cam the 618, I put the .bin file on a card and update the FW but to update my wifes 698 I can't just then put it in her camera. I have to format the drive again (quick works) and put thr exact same bin file on the card and then insert. If I just go from cam to cam then in the 2nd cam it starts recording.

That applies whether I go from the 618 to the 698 or vice versa. Weird.

Ahh right. I followed the guide on their site and it mentioned having to connect it to the PC.

With my current cam (Mio MiVue618 - I appreciate cams are different) I update the firmware exactly as you just said so I'll try that.

Slightly off topic, with my current cam the 618, I put the .bin file on a card and update the FW but to update my wifes 698 I can't just then put it in her camera. I have to format the drive again (quick works) and put thr exact same bin file on the card and then insert. If I just go from cam to cam then in the 2nd cam it starts recording.

That applies whether I go from the 618 to the 698 or vice versa. Weird.
Camera will auto delete the .bin file after the update, so if you need to update 2 cameras, you need to copy the .bin file to the card again.

Since the camera needs a FAT32 card I was wondering how it will accept cards larger than 32gb which must be exfat or ntfs, no?
I think most functions work OK with an exfat card, it normally won't complain unless it has the wrong sector size or something like that, which is why any problems are best sorted with the sdformatter, it is possible you have had the cards in something that has changed the lower level formatting. FAT32 is recommended, all functions work correctly with that.

sdformatter is not quick, but your time for 32GB seems exceptionally slow, might be worth trying to find a faster card reader. My fastest is a built in one in an android tablet, some of the USB2 card readers are very slow in comparison.

Camera will auto delete the .bin file after the update, so if you need to update 2 cameras, you need to copy the .bin file to the card again.
That's interesting, because when I then plug it back in to the PC to format and then put the file back on there, the file is still there, it hasn't been deleted.

I think most functions work OK with an exfat card, it normally won't complain unless it has the wrong sector size or something like that, which is why any problems are best sorted with the sdformatter, it is possible you have had the cards in something that has changed the lower level formatting. FAT32 is recommended, all functions work correctly with that.

sdformatter is not quick, but your time for 32GB seems exceptionally slow, might be worth trying to find a faster card reader. My fastest is a built in one in an android tablet, some of the USB2 card readers are very slow in comparison.
The card reader I have is similar to this one which is in my PC connected to the motherboard. Just a cheapy unit. Whether it should be working faster than it is doing or not, I don't honestly know.

The only other card readers I have available to me are a USB drive which can accept SD cards or my laptop.

Am i likely to have busted my SD card?

It was taking forever last night as i've mentioned, so i closed the program. It wouldn't close down so i kept hitting X and eventually it did.

I put the card in the reader tonight and it doesn't show as usual in My Computer. When i double click it it says the drive is not accessible, access denied. I use the SD Card Formatter tool but it instantly says formatting failed.

Ok to report back....

Problem solved. Thanks to all.

The full overwrite seems to be what was needed. FW now updated. Cards sorted. Bit of an odd one but we got there in the end.

Thanks again for the help.

Ok to report back....

Problem solved. Thanks to all.

The full overwrite seems to be what was needed. FW now updated. Cards sorted. Bit of an odd one but we got there in the end.

Thanks again for the help.
you're not the first person that has had this problem, sure you won't be the last, not all formatting is equal unfortunately so sometimes you do need to reset things correctly before you can go any further

The thought of sending the unit back to China was scary.

As you're in the UK your contract is with the retailer, but, my gut feeling was that the cam was OK.

The vast majority of problems are card or low power, often from third party car USB adapters.

I have issue with my current cam recording which I hope this one fixes. It drops recording randomly and clips will vary from a fraction of a second to the full 3mins.
I sent it back to Mio after it didn't record an entire journey where I was nearly wiped out and they confirmed and replaced the motherboard.

Didn't fix the split files though.

Sent back again and they found no issue.

Has done it in 2 cars now though. My wife's 698 model which is the exact same but has a dual cam feature doesn't do this at all. Same person installed both cams.

Currently have it wired up in a way where I use the supplied original 12v lead but a female 12v socket is tapped in to the fuse box behind glovebox.

I hope the VIOFO doesn't suffer the same trouble.

I've got a Nextbase series 1 hardwire kit wired into an IGN pos 2 tap. That is delivering enough power as I've never had an issue.

I've got my Garmin DS61 SatNav wired to an IGN pos 1 tap so I can set it up on the car before starting the engine.

It drops recording randomly and clips will vary from a fraction of a second to the full 3mins.
Are you sure it is the cameras at fault and not your memory card?
What cards are you using?

As he said, let's see if the Viofo has the same issue.

Given that the card did have a problem and is now solved, hopefully ...........

This is one of those useful posts where a previously good card did have a problem and the full SDFormatter overwrite fixed it.

Given that the card did have a problem and is now solved, hopefully ...........
memory cards aren't red wine, they don't get better with age, better off to start using new cards in new cameras rather than bringing old problems into the equation

This is one of those useful posts where a previously good card did have a problem and the full SDFormatter overwrite fixed it.
got it working as it should, could still be a problem card given some time though, unfortunately because memory cards have no moving parts a lot of people don't understand that they wear out or develop problems, bad sectors etc

But for a number of them to all develop faults at the same time?

Just at work so can't go and check specifically what cards but I know the brands are

Toshiba
Transcend
Samsung

Think the Transcend is called endurance. I found it after googling what cards best to use in dash cams. That's a 32GB.

I have 32, 64 & 128 in Toshiba flavour
And 128 from the Samsung. May be called EVO or I may be confusing that with what's in my phone. As said I'm at work right now so can't check. Either way the Samsung one is a white card whereas the Samsung one in my phone I'm sure is red if that helps.

My Samsung Evo Plus U3 128Gb has been in 3 dashcams and is still going strong after 3 1/2 years. I have another in stock just in case.

It only gets formatted about every 6 months as I cut/paste the contents weekly to the PC so it just gets cleared.

It has a fast write speed, 60 Mb/s, which I think helps with reliability.

Out of interest why do you cut and paste your files? Just curious.

I copy files too, but only ones where something has happened. Someone going for a wild overtake and narrowly missing being wiped out for example.

I just like to keep a full journey copy for a few months just in case. Friend of mine got accused of an accident he was not involved with. If he'd had dashcam footage he could have proved them wrong.

Also I'm a speed camera verifier on PocketGPSWorld and they can come in useful when someone reports a new or removed camera on a road I've covered since Streetview was last updated.

I just like to keep a full journey copy for a few months just in case. Friend of mine got accused of an accident he was not involved with. If he'd had dashcam footage he could have proved them wrong.

Also I'm a speed camera verifier on PocketGPSWorld and they can come in useful when someone reports a new or removed camera on a road I've covered since Streetview was last updated.
It's always best to have the proof of dash cam footage but wouldn't the person accusing your friend of involvement in an accident need proof too?

He was falsely accused and it took many months for him to get the insurance companies to accept it wasn't him.

This was quite a few years ago, pre dashcam. These days dashcam and Google location can be valuable.

He was falsely accused and it took many months for him to get the insurance companies to accept it wasn't him.

This was quite a few years ago, pre dashcam. These days dashcam and Google location can be valuable.
OK, I see. Times have changed, haven't they?

Still, the laws about falsely accusing someone haven't changed. In fact, here in the US you can be charged for falsely accusing someone of something they didn't do but I guess that's where your archived video would come in handy.

Back