A139 useless at "high speed"?

Amu

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello, I faced several times following problem and it seems (at least mostly) happening while driving like >160km/h. It happened today multiple times during an 4h drive and I don't have a clew why .... It was not a warm day outside so the cam was definitely not overheating.

- Is the dashcam "shaking" too much which simulates a press on the rec button?
- Hardware broken?
- Software broken?

I also have the feeling that some settings are "lost" with some time. I activated for example the Voice Notifications few days ago to see if the dashcam would tell me an error message while bipping (like on the video), but nothing happened. Watched in the settings and voice notifications where disabled again ... I can't explain that either ....

Anyone having similar issues?!

I would check SDcard and due to vibrations the coax cable for the rear cam (are you sure it's all properly "clicked" in place?). I'm quite certain that I drove at even much higher speeds without issues (but I have a quite big and heavy SUV with air suspension so not much vibration present)

EDIT: Btw, I must be dumb not to realize that :ROFLMAO: in the first place, what about G-sensor..? Are you missing files or getting footage flagged as events?
EDIT2: But it sounds like a stopped recording... I have to admit that I did get few (about 3-5 times over three months) of recording hiccups similar to this but most of the times it was happened when I wanted to flag an event.

Last edited:
That is not something i can test as 130 is the limit up here in Denmark.

Random beeping are very often associated with memory card issues.

The placement of your camera as it have the GPS antenna in the mount could be problematic ? how are your GPS data ( time / date / speed ASO )

The placement of your camera as it have the GPS antenna in the mount could be problematic ? how are your GPS data ( time / date / speed ASO )
Good point, that plastic part where is the dashcam installed could be wobbly as hell. But the GPS LED is rock solid in the video so it probably works ok (at least once my unit losts the signal it starts flashing basically instantaneously) - not to mention that I have one front unit mounted on the back of my car, on boot door, even further from rear window, under metal roof and there isn't a problem with signal.

Sounds like G-Sensor if flagging events. Which is it again. Is High Sensitivity the MOST sensitive and Low Sensitivity the Least Sensitive? I always run mine on Medium.

Sounds like G-Sensor may be set too high and every bump is being flagged as an event.

If the camera is not recording then it could be a memory card issue.

Sounds like G-Sensor if flagging events.
The sound recorded in the video actually refers more likely to stopped recording. Flagged event by G-sensor uses three quick double bleeps.

I dont think any German road where +160 KM/h speeds are legal have potholes / things that would set off the G sensor.
I dont think thats the problem, but it is indeed annoying on the A139 that you can not turn off G - sensor for while driving, but as i understand it that is coming.
I must say in months of driving only once have i managed to set off the G - sensor on LOW setting, but on high it only took me a day or two before it set off, and i changed back to low.

Most likely a slow memory card, maybe try a full format using the SDCardFormatter, or another card.

Faster means the image changes faster, so more bitrate is needed, so the most likely time for a slow memory card to have issues.

I just had a brand new 256GB card coming up with a write speed, wayyyyy lower than stated in the specs, using SD formatter made it much better / usable but still a bit under the stated specs.

This was a Adata endurance card

I was experiencing much the same thing with the SanDisk Extreme A2 64GB card, but it never happens with my Samsung EVO Select cards. Sandisk card bought new, sold and fulfilled by Amazon, tested with SDformatter and h2testw.All seems good. My A139 is set to max bitrate and resolution and I've driven at above 70MPH (113kmh).

My similar issues were at lower speeds, sometimes half that. There seemed to be no pattern to them; various temperatures, sky conditions, daytime/nighttime, city and rural driving. Sometimes mine would stop recordinhg, sometimes it 'boot-looped' then stopped. Sometimes it began with a G-sensor activatiion (3 beeps) and sometimes happened when I was stopped. Formatting the card made it work again till the next episode.

All I know for sure is that mine doesn't like that Sandisk card though it works perfectly in every other cam I'm currently running. So I think it's likely a card problem.

Phil

I have experienced the A139 giving errors upon inserting a memory card, but then i just take it out wipe the contacts and put it back in.
Thats the only memory card related issues i have had with the A139, but it have done that with almost every memory card i have put it it, maybe the hotter weather have chaged that CUZ it have not happened lately.

Hi, thanks for your input. I activated voice notification again and it happend today again. It's bipping and then telling "starting 1ch recording" and few seconds later "starting 2ch recording". So it looks like it's more a problem of the rear cam. I tried to plug it out and in again but still having the same problem. I must also say, that when I'm touching the rear cam coax cable I can still move it (up and down left and right). It is not "fix" (as the power cable for example) even if it is correctly plugged in.
As I said in my first Post, it's mainly happening at high speed but today it happened on a cobblestone street. So it seems to be a wrong contact/problem with my coax cable or with the connector of the front dashcam ....

I also formatted my SD Card with SD Card Formater so this is not the problem. I also don't have problems with GPS or Speed Data. Camera is stable (videos not shaking). Next picture shows where the camera is exactly mounted. The plastic is hard and not sensitive when I am touching it.

IMG_2422.jpg

Hi, thanks for your input. I activated voice notification again and it happend today again. It's bipping and then telling "starting 1ch recording" and few seconds later "starting 2ch recording". So it looks like it's more a problem of the rear cam. I tried to plug it out and in again but still having the same problem. I must also say, that when I'm touching the rear cam coax cable I can still move it (up and down left and right). It is not "fix" (as the power cable for example) even if it is correctly plugged in.
Yep, that's why I've adviced you to check the cable because it's one of the reasons this cam interrupts recording. Viofo's coax connector is a bit wobbly in dashcam's connector so that's normal (but it shouldn't be wildly wide). Have you checked whether the connector in the rear cam is properly plugged in as well?

What about when you try to move the connector by hand?

Dropping to 1 channel then back to 2 definitely sounds like a connection issue with rear camera, as nath says move the connections by hand both at the front camera and the rear and see if that recreates the issue. If I think on later I will pull a cable out and see if the same occurs.
if you use the app to live view the camera do you get any picture issues when moving the connectors or moving the wire around?
Is there any right radius bends anywhere in the cable to the rear camera?

Yes the remote cameras connectors are a bit weak, a stronger type would be appreciated, but i must also say i like the size of these, the thin cable VS the some times 2 X as thick USB cables i have been dealing with.

I dont know how you have the wire coming off the rear camera, but i have always used a cable holder "just" behind the remote cameras so the wire can not wiggle much, with the USB style cameras it have been no problem, but with these fine little plugs on the A139 cameras i could imagine that to be a issue.
At the camera end i do not have the wires secured as they come of the camera and in a few CM they are held in place by the headliner, your install do have a bit of slack near the main unit, so maybe try and secure that.

So far it is not something i have been experienced myself, and i have tried to seek out uneven / washboard dirt roads to see if i could force a disconnect.

This is my old setup ( had break in the car on January 4 and the A139 got vandalized ) the camera now sit a bit further right at the middle of the dotted area.
But as you can see not much wiggle possible in the 2 remote camera wires.

74aabfb3a73f4ec0f47dbaf83641fb3985642713.jpg

I must also say, that when I'm touching the rear cam coax cable I can still move it (up and down left and right). It is not "fix" (as the power cable for example) even if it is correctly plugged in.
The cable should "click" into place, you can rotate it but it not pull out without significant force to "unclick" it. If you can very easily pull it out of the connector, then you haven't pushed it fully in.

Yes there is a little click when you insert the plugs.

I tested mine on the way home (after a power reset to correct the locked buttons fault) recording 3 channels I pulled the interior camera cable out, it stopped the recording with the beeping and flashing rec light then it announced recording 2 channels so this seems to be what’s happening with yours, either connection issue on the cable or the rear cam unless the fault is in the main cam itself. If you can’t find anything with the cable and rear cam maybe swap the rear to the interior port and retest.

@Mtrev Yeah, that's what I've meant above. And the connection issue can even cause A139 to reboot or freeze (at least that's how few of my experiments with custom cables resulted in :geek: ).

Yes the remote cameras connectors are a bit weak, a stronger type would be appreciated, ...
Do you have idea how would end up miniUSB after that attack on your dashcam..? According to your misfortune, now we know that MMCX is actually quite durable. (I'm sorry :ROFLMAO: )

Both cables are correctly plugged in with the "click" noise.

Is your cable also moving like in the video when you touch it or is it more stable?

This is how the rear cable looks like:
IMG_2434.jpg

@Mtrev I'll try to swap the the rear to the interior port. Maybe it will work.

Back