A129 Duo, any point upgrading FW yet?

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a A129 Duo that’s on v1.5. It’s hardwired as I wanted parking mode. I haven’t been on a while and all seems well with the camera. I’m going to get some footage off to check as haven’t lately and format the SD card as recommended.

So is it, while I’m doing this, worth updating the firmware? I haven’t read everything but seems a lot are actually downgrading back to v1.5?

What is up? Do VIOFO know about the problems etc? What has been supposedly fixed and/or added?

Thanks

I have a A129 Duo that’s on v1.5. It’s hardwired as I wanted parking mode. I haven’t been on a while and all seems well with the camera. I’m going to get some footage off to check as haven’t lately and format the SD card as recommended.

So is it, while I’m doing this, worth updating the firmware? I haven’t read everything but seems a lot are actually downgrading back to v1.5?

What is up? Do VIOFO know about the problems etc? What has been supposedly fixed and/or added?

Thanks
1) Viofo do know about the problem.
2) Viofo tried to fix the problem without success (within 2 years).
3) Viofo does not have enough competence about SDK coding. Their added to native SDK "authorial" code spoils basic video-processor functions. "Everything he touched turned to garbage." (c)
4) Viofo forgets about sold (with problem FW) models and just offers to buy new ones.

Last edited:
1) Viofo do know about the problem.
2) Viofo tried to fix the problem without success (within 2 years).
3) Viofo does not have enough competence about SDK coding. Their added to native SDK "authorial" code spoils basic vodeo-processor functions. "Everything he touched turned to garbage." (c)
4) Viofo forgets about sold (with problem FW) models and just offers to buy new ones.

Ah ok thanks. That’s not good then, that they know and can’t or won’t fix. What is the exact problem please, and what does it do/not do?

Do you suggest I just stay on v1.5 then?

I can understand that once being new products that they just ignore old ones. A lot of manufacturers do that, not good.

This would put me off a return buy though as well if they do this.

Thanks

Do you suggest I just stay on v1.5 then?
If You use two cameras and BT knob (external button) - the only v1.5 is stable (LowBitrate mode is fine).
With older versions second camera does "freeze/gap" recording, and BT knob works very slowly and stupidly.

Last edited:
If You use two cameras and BT knob - the only v1.5 is stable (LowBitrate mode is fine).
With older versions second camera does "freeze/gap" recording, and BT knob works very slowly and stupidly.

I do use 2 cameras, and can’t remember what I’ve set to for parking mode, I’ll have to check. Not sure what BT knob is though sorry?

I should really check more often on footage though, it’s just a set and forever device. Although I think you are supposed to format the SD often (once a month?) in the camera.

So I should just stay on v1.5

Thanks

I don't have this cam, but to address the thread title there is never a need to update FW if your cam is doing what you want it to do. Given how many dashcam FW updates have problems with any manufacturer, the wisest approach is to let other people update awhile then see if they have problems. Only if there are no problems found should you update too. If a new feature or function you want is in an update follow that same rule- let others try it first. And when possible, keep a copy of the FW you're happily using on your computer so you can go back to it if you need to ;)

Phil

I have 2x A129 installed in different cars. I keep both on V1.50 because it just works for me and has been very reliable. I've tested lots of FW versions since then, but whenever I was done with testing I always went back to V1.50.

Back