V3 Dashboard reflection

M4ttc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used the new Dashcam on a run up to the Lake District yesterday and all worked great Inc parking mode
It was a particularly bright day in NW England and when I reviewed the footage, I could see a reflection of my dash in the image. This maybe down to having a heated windscreen and the metallic mesh may increase the reflection?
Are there any settings I could tweak to.minimise this?
As it is only normall sunny for about 7 days a year here, it might not be a showstopper
Cheers
Matt

The heated windscreen isn't great for the image, but it doesn't cause reflections except that just occasionally it can produce white specks in parts of the image.

The normal reflections are off the windscreen glass surface, the normal way to improve them is to use a CPL filter, some people use a black dashmat. The CPL normally does the better job, is cheaper and easier to fit, but has the disadvantage of doubling motion blur due to it blocking half the light, so if you really only get sun for 7 days a year, maybe only use it on your summer holidays, although even then it is very likely to be raining in the Lake District :D

I've been driving a Ford recently with a ridiculously shiny dash, no idea how that got through the design process, it's a problem for my eyes as well as the camera! If it was mine I think I would look into a dashmat for it rather than the CPL, for my own car the CPL is very a good solution.

Cheers again @Nigel

I didn't know about the CPL filter..I will investigate this and have a look on Amazon or Ali for one.

Make sure it is an A119 V3 compatible CPL.

It is not a complete cure, but can make a big difference for some cars.

If one is on a really tight budget.

Cut a disc from a pair of cinema 3d glasses and sticky tape with electrical or cloth tape to the lens. The tape only needs to stick to the edge of the disc to grip.

Make a small mark, a scratch, near the edge of the surface that will face outwards so you have a reference point for polarisation. Also these plastic lenses do in general need to face the same direction outwards as if you are wearing them.

IMG_20210630_094843681~2.jpg
IMG_20210414_105822951_HDR~2.jpg

If you dig back far enough on these forums, you'll see where DIY CPL's were the norm and comparisons were made of the different materials used. It was still somewhat common when I came along due to many cam's not having them or the DIY method being cheaper. Now you can buy one for almost every cam, or adapt one from a different cam.

The kids of today have it SO easy... :ROFLMAO:

Phil

If you dig back far enough on these forums, you'll see where DIY CPL's were the norm and comparisons were made of the different materials used. It was still somewhat common when I came along due to many cam's not having them or the DIY method being cheaper. Now you can buy one for almost every cam, or adapt one from a different cam.

The kids of today have it SO easy... :ROFLMAO:

Phil
yeah it was mostly about lack of options back then, very few cameras had them available, wouldn't think about doing a DIY solution these days unless it's some odd model you can't get a filter for

What one should be aware of is that an expensive glass filter performs virtually the same as polarising film which used in most of the plastic clip on filters.
IMG_20210411_175607628~2.jpg
IMG_polarising-filter.jpg

In this instance the request is for the A119V3 and those images are ....... not.

Some cameras can be DIY filtered but some can't.

It is actually easier to cut a rectangular filter than a disc, polarising film north south so there will never be a mix up, and a narrow strip of VHB tape both sides.

I had a dash reflection problem when I bought a new car and here is how I made things better.
I found the easiest and simplest way is make sure your CPL filter is aligned properly, see link below:
Tips - CPL Filter Alignment - YouTube
Once you have your CPL filter aligned properly tilt the lens up or down to obtain most optimum results. I minimized the sky in my image.
You would be surprised how much the dash reflection varies when you do the above.
Lastly, make sure the inside of your windshield is clean. I use a mixture of vinegar and water for best results.

I had a dash reflection problem when I bought a new car and here is how I made things better.
I found the easiest and simplest way is make sure your CPL filter is aligned properly, see link below:
Tips - CPL Filter Alignment - YouTube
Once you have your CPL filter aligned properly tilt the lens up or down to obtain most optimum results. I minimized the sky in my image.
You would be surprised how much the dash reflection varies when you do the above.
Lastly, make sure the inside of your windshield is clean. I use a mixture of vinegar and water for best results.
if you bought your CPL from Viofo there's no need to align it, it's already done, that video only applies to the very first batch where they got some that were not set correctly and it wasn't discovered until after they had shipped them, that stock was sold through a few years ago

I'll have had my dash cam 4 years next month.
I wasn't aware the CPL comes aligned correctly now.
However, it's easy to check to make sure it is aligned, if it is, no problem, just carry on.

I am a person who uses the basics to clean windows, especially the home windows. Just a drop of dishwashing detergent to make the water "wetter".

But I have to admit I have found cleaning inside a car window is a lot easier with a quality windscreen cleaner & a top quality microfiber cloth.

So you can see residual cleaning marks on the glass. If you clean the inside horizontally. Clean the outside vertically, then you will "clearly" see if the remaining clean issue is inside or outside.

I use Isopropyl alcohol and a q tip to clean my camera lens and cpl filter.
I clean the outside windshield with vinegar/water mixture almost every week or sooner if need be.
So far so good.

With the Viofo OEM CPL it can be fitted both ways but I think, from memory, the long slit goes to the top. Nothing to do with the filter but to stop it falling off ?

With the Viofo OEM CPL it can be fitted both ways but I think, from memory, the long slit goes to the top. Nothing to do with the filter but to stop it falling off ?
Not to stop it falling off as such, just prevents the glass from moving within the holder

Back