The Viofo a139 camera freezes and gets hot when it's sunny

I am using all 3 cameras on my A139
But seeing how it performed yesterday while parked, then i do not have higher hopes for today, today's experiment are more about the SG9663DR system and if it do better VS the A139

I have always been pretty apprehensive about parking guard on sunny days, even if it is not a scorching summer day.
I am also happy i am just testing parking guard, personally i dont feel like i have a need for it, so if they fail i just get confirmed my suspicions.

I do think remote systems like the SG9663DR should stand a better chance, at least the main unit dont have to on in direct sun on the windscreen.

Since you've mentioned "locked", was it in parking mode? Because Viofo doesn't make this testing easy due to locking buttons in parking mode (not working until you switch to normal mode - and sometimes this lock bugs through even to normal mode :D ). And do you have voice notifications turned on?

The interesting part is that your camera loops in reboots and then freezes. In the other thread, posted by @HonestReview, his camera turns itself off (but I think we don't know what is happening prior the shutdown in his case).

The reason I'm asking those questions above is, and because you've sent Viofo only the front unit, that reboots and freezes could be caused also by the additional cameras or due to bad cable (could be working correctly until gets hot).

Correct. I'm not really sure how I am going to capture the camera actually powering down either. I think my cell phone would overheat if I left it recording in a hot car. I have a very old camcorder. Not sure if that would work or not.

My A139 has the exact same issue. It's been averaging 100 degrees plus, and the unit seems to freeze. I have sound off so it's not something I check on every drive, but just realized it hadn't been recording for the past week, and was unable to shut unit off by power button. Based on prior comments, I agree it probably has to do with parking mode heating up and affecting the memory card. I use gorilla heavy duty tape to mount, and while the tape remains adhered to the windshield it detached from the unit. I'm guessing it's from the additional heat output of the unit when it freezes up. Going to turn off parking mode and see what happens.

There seems to be some reliability issues connected to the last 2 FW versions. To help diagnose anyone's problems please list the FW version you're using when you post. I have done some serious heat testing with the 0315 FW and found no problems. I'm currently testing the 0507 FW which initially seems OK but I don't have enough data to make any conclusions yet. Hopefully this weekend will allow me another measured heat test.

Phil

FW 1.1_0324

Between not having time and the weather here hasn't been conducive to testing, I've not played put my camera through further rigor. I plan on running a test with 1.1_0324 and 1.6. in the heat when I get a moment.

Viofo is mailing me out a replacement unit, so will be interesting to see what happens there, too.

I made the mistake of taking out my memory card out a few seconds of turning off the cam. Nearly flung it a crossed the dash it was so hot. Shocked it wasn't melted. I did buy one of the max endurance cards tho.. so maybe that prevented it from melting lol.
I'm thinking I might have to have the parking mode set on a timer to turn off after an hour, maybe 2?

I haven't checked all the videos yet, but seems like some of them only play 6 min then ends (the progress bar stops at the half way mark) so I assume there WAS more footage on it.

Yeah the card in my A139 have been hot too, but i cant say it have been unusual hot.
But that is after drive sessions, i have never walked in on the camera still recording parking mode on a hot day, so i cant tell in that regard.

I made the mistake of taking out my memory card out a few seconds of turning off the cam. Nearly flung it a crossed the dash it was so hot. Shocked it wasn't melted. I did buy one of the max endurance cards tho.. so maybe that prevented it from melting lol.
I'm thinking I might have to have the parking mode set on a timer to turn off after an hour, maybe 2?

I haven't checked all the videos yet, but seems like some of them only play 6 min then ends (the progress bar stops at the half way mark) so I assume there WAS more footage on it.
Welcome to DCT :)
Seems you're in Oregon, what kind of temperatures are you testing in? Hoping the 'heat dome' in the PNW is going away. What length have you set for the video files? If your card is fat32 format that limits the amount of data per file and could be an issue. Also which FW version are you on? I've got the older V1.1_0315 available HERE Just remember to rename the file deleting everything after the letter "A" before loading it to your card. This FW version doesn't seen to have the issues the last 2 have had and if your newer FW is buggy you can run this version for testing or use.

Phil

Seems you're in Oregon, what kind of temperatures are you testing in? Hoping the 'heat dome' in the PNW is going away. What length have you set for the video files? If your card is fat32 format that limits the amount of data per file and could be an issue. Also which FW version are you on? I've got the older V1.1_0315 available HERE Just remember to rename the file deleting everything after the letter "A" before loading it to your card. This FW version doesn't seen to have the issues the last 2 have had and if your newer FW is buggy you can run this version for testing or use.

Phil

Should be noted, that 1.1 on my camera randomly drops to 2 channel mode. Again, could be my faulty camera, but worth noting.

Just thinking from afar as I only have a single channel but is processing 2 or 3 data feeds into a single windscreen mounted small box too much ?

Would it be better with multi channel dashcams to have the data collection somewhere under the dash, out of the sun, and potentially a better collection media than a tiny SDCard ?

Just thinking from afar as I only have a single channel but is processing 2 or 3 data feeds into a single windscreen mounted small box too much ?

Would it be better with multi channel dashcams to have the data collection somewhere under the dash, out of the sun, and potentially a better collection media than a tiny SDCard ?

I don't think technology is yet advanced to handle the rigors of a hot, enclosed car, and 3 channel recording. 2 channel cameras are fine. My A129 duo doesn't overheat. I surmise the Street Guardian's work fine in heat. Adding one more channel changes the dynamic. Seems cameras struggle here. At present, moving the main unit out of the direct sunlight seems like the only real solution, until chipsets the run cooler or better cooling methods hit the market.

Having 3 cameras all feed to a unit tucked under the glove box or out of sight, would definitely resolve the issue of overheating.

What made me think was that a friend has a Jag i-pace and he was showing me all the electronics. He showed me the camera system that is 4 channel, all 4 sides. He's never had any problems with it although I don't think it records. It's just a parking aid from what he was saying.

His main problem is charging as it's an EV. The council have refused a change to the grass verge so he can park next to his house where he had a charger fitted, the actual range is only 2/3 of the brochure range as they don't seem to test with anything on like lights, wipers, radio, heating or aircon. But his biggest problem is finding charging points. The nearest one to his office is 2 miles away.

Phil
Thanks =)
I think it was around the low 80's when that happened. Video length I believe was 5 minutes? I'm not entirely sure now since I've tried updating the FW. Yep I think it was fat32.
As far as which firmware... its been saying V1.2_0507 before and after updating it lol. I downloaded the beta test FW off the website (this page) updated it, but when I checked the app, it still showed 1.2_0507 and it looked like it updated correctly, lights flashed like it was working, then it restarted.
If I use the 1.1 you linked, will that still enable Station mode? I been wanting to try that and have yet to get that working.

This FW version doesn't seen to have the issues the last 2 have had and if your newer FW is buggy you can run this version for testing or use.

Phil
What issues do you mean? I had v1.1 0324 for quite a while in two 3ch units, even the temperatures well above the threshold were not a problem. I haven't tested v1.2 much because two hours after that I noticed the existence of v1.6 :ROFLMAO: and even with this beta firmware I had zero difference in summer days so far.
Have you tested the newer FW for yourself? We still don't know what causes the issues those few other have and since many users are either on v1.1 or v1.2 and don't report similar, I wouldn't think there is a FW issue.

Should be noted, that 1.1 on my camera randomly drops to 2 channel mode. Again, could be my faulty camera, but worth noting.
Should be also noted, that your camera has even other issues which not much of users (close to nobody) report and you wait for a replacement, so it's not the best example...

If I use the 1.1 you linked, will that still enable Station mode? I been wanting to try that and have yet to get that working.
No, StationMode is available since v1.6

Last edited:
No, StationMode is available since v1.6
Interesting. I figured downloading the FW directly from the viofo website would have given me the latest version. But it shows it as 1.1? this page. I'm totally confused xD

Interesting. I figured downloading the FW directly from the viofo website would have given me the latest version. But it shows it as 1.1? this page. I'm totally confused xD
Ignore the description, somebody only forgot to update the info. The latest official release for now is v1.2_0507 which is available through the link at the official website.

And StationMode got enabled only in the v1.6 beta firmware from the blog post you've mentioned above.

A bit late back to the party, but anyway...
Viofo's FW link always says "V1.1" but it contains the latest version; currently that's V1.2_0507. The V1.6 FW isn't in wide use yet and I haven't tried it.

Prior to these two FW versions there were almost zero references to any major issues with the A139; no apparent overheating, no loss of button functionality in driving mode, no cam 'freezing' except with possibly incompatible cards. I didn't personally try the 0324 version but enough people did to show it was OK; the last I used before updating was the 0315 version so either one is probably OK. Worth noting is that when 0324 was the newest, there was one used in SE Asia who reported ambient temps which probably reached the 65C temp limit of this cam numerous times, as well as a few of us who experienced similar temps occasionally, and during this timeframe nobody had problems. It was only after the 0507 FW came into use that numerous reports of malfunctioning began to surface. That is why I posted the 0315 FW on my Google Drive and requested that people having problems try it as a test, so that we could positively determine whether the problems were FW related or not. I have not heard whether anyone has tried this, only continuing complaints from those who haven't :(

It's well known and commonplace for dashcam FW updates to be 'buggy', especially those introducing new features or significantly expanding existing functions. Even SG who tests FW more extensively than anyone else before release has experienced this. Anyone who expects better than this either does not know much about dashcams or refuses to accept the reality of this. Whether or not things should be this way is irrelevant- they ARE this way. He!!, even MS and Apple who have the best people in the world doing their FW have update problems; it's just worse with dashcams :cry:

So until people will do back-to-back testing of known good FW and the later FW in identical conditions we can't know whether there is a FW issue here or not. I've tried the 0315 and the 0507 without any problems, and did a measured heat test with the 0315 too. I have had no problems with either version.

All that can be said for certain at this point is that some people are now having problems and it's always when using the 0507 or V1.6 FW. There have been a few reports of loose cam cable connections which may also have some bearing here, but some experiencing the other issues apparently do not have this problem, so these two are probably not related. Without more testing we know nothing more :cautious:

Phil

Should be also noted, that your camera has even other issues which not much of users (close to nobody) report and you wait for a replacement, so it's not the best example...

Yes, my camera is in therapy for a host of unresolved issues. Just mentioned, as I didn't know if the two channel bug is an issue in 1.1 or just my camera gain. Which is why I mentioned, but stated could just be my camera.

I believe replacement should arrive this week. I HOPE TO HELL it resolves the issues.

What made me think was that a friend has a Jag i-pace and he was showing me all the electronics. He showed me the camera system that is 4 channel, all 4 sides. He's never had any problems with it although I don't think it records. It's just a parking aid from what he was saying.

His main problem is charging as it's an EV. The council have refused a change to the grass verge so he can park next to his house where he had a charger fitted, the actual range is only 2/3 of the brochure range as they don't seem to test with anything on like lights, wipers, radio, heating or aircon. But his biggest problem is finding charging points. The nearest one to his office is 2 miles away.

Issue is accessibility. If the cameras go to a main unit that contains memory card, then you can't see the lights to know it's recording. So you'd need an auditory prompt like the A139. Problem is if unit freezes, and there's no auditory alert due to freeze, you'd never know if there's a problem.

So bringing the main unit out of sunlight is great, but there might have to be some other connection attaching to the main unit (like something you could attach to windshield) to show LEDS when things are working or not working.

Back