New A119V3 V2.5 Firmware announced in VIOFO Blog

Any change in hardware and housing requires the manufacture of new molds,
which is very expensive and not always advisable. I understand you perfectly
and partially agree with you, in this case I offer only the simplest and least costly solution option...

This version of the dashcam has already been:
I still have one in my hands. I still can't find time to implement some changes in the firmware.
An interesting device. Left for experiments until better times...)

I remember that camera! I recall it lead to a lot of discussion on the topic of day/night capture. At the time I was happy to at least see a manufacturer like SeeZeus attempt the concept.

I'm not sure a hole in the housing would require a whole new mold but it would certainly require design changes and new circuitry.

Another idea that intrigues me would be to use a two channel DSP but instead of a front and rear camera the two lenses would face forward with one channel optimized for daylight and the other channel optimized for night driving. It could switch from one to the other either with a photo diode or a timer setting or manually.

I own a CCTV camera with two channels and two lenses that functions like that. At .5 lux it switches to night mode and is very effective. Mine is a bullet style camera but the lens array is almost identical looking to this one.

dual-dome2.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't the light of oncoming cars, hell even other light sources in and around a road mess with a photo diode.

Couldn't one do some code like
If exposure = < than 1:60 second then set WDR on

Or something :giggle: i cant code if my life depended on it.
I can only manage simple things like
If thirsty: then drink water
If no light: flip switch on wall
ASO

Wouldn't the light of oncoming cars, hell even other light sources in and around a road mess with a photo diode.

Couldn't one do some code like
If exposure = < than 1:60 second then set WDR on

Or something :giggle: i cant code if my life depended on it.
I can only manage simple things like
If thirsty: then drink water
If no light: flip switch on wall
ASO

I've thought about that too. I don't think the diode would need to face forward to detect that it is night time. Maybe it would be facing down or to the side?

Yeah some other direction would probably work, i am not really familiar with these little light sensors and how much or little would take to trigger one.

Yeah some other direction would probably work, i am not really familiar with these little light sensors and how much or little would take to trigger one.

Your CCTV camera will have a photo diode. Observed how dark it is when it switches to IR and you'll know how sensitive it is at dusk.

Last edited:
My car has a light sensor, top of dash. It works quite well there as it picks up when you enter a tunnel or even a wide overhead bridge, but, being top of dash pointing upwards, it isn't affected by oncoming headlights.

I'm interested to try your modified firmware...
There were no and no risks. Absolutely! This is the same official firmware,
but with more correct settings for better video quality.
First, I will check the latest official firmware and if it suits me,
I will make a modified version based on it...

Can you post a link here for those of us that can't read Cyrillic?
https://translate.google.us
Joe Biden Smile GIF

is 1440P @ 30FPS still the best settings then?
WDR on?

Back