Circular polariser for Viofo A119 V3

jlim138

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I bought the circular polariser for the Viofo A119 V3 and found it difficult to use. It does not seem to help much in reducing the glare from the windscreen. The CPL is also hard to adjust. I have seen video on adjusting the CPL on YouTube but it's down right difficult to rotate the the lens of the CPL to obtain the best result for minimising glare. Does anyone has the same problem with the Viofo CPL?

It is not supposed to be adjusted, it was preset to the correct setting!

Post some with and without images if you want some comments on if it is working correctly or not...

I bought the circular polariser for the Viofo A119 V3 and found it difficult to use. It does not seem to help much in reducing the glare from the windscreen. The CPL is also hard to adjust. I have seen video on adjusting the CPL on YouTube but it's down right difficult to rotate the the lens of the CPL to obtain the best result for minimising glare. Does anyone has the same problem with the Viofo CPL?
CPL that comes with VIOFO dashcam works great and, like Nigel said, is not adjustable.
If you bought some third party CPL then it may be an issue with that.

Plus, although not for polarising, the wider slot goes to the top.

If you have tried adjusting it it may now be useless.

Last edited:
CPL that comes with VIOFO dashcam works great and, like Nigel said, is not adjustable.
If you bought some third party CPL then it may be an issue with that.
Why so?
Everything is configurable there.

In that video the recommendation to use an LCD screen (phone, TV, monitor, etc.) is wrong because that method is dependent on the orientation of the polarizing layer of the device being used which could be horizontal, vertical, or 45 degrees right or left. There's much discussion of that (with examples) in this thread:

Within that thread there's a 'foolproof' method(s) using the actual reflections in the windshield (windscreen) of the vehicle to make any needed adjustment without relying on anything other than the actual reflections starting at this post:

Generally it's quite a frustrating issue that manufacturers of products in China do not provide adequate or even zero information on how to use the product. If the CPL is non adjustable there should be a pamphlet advising the end consumer of it.
Similarly there is a problem with vibration noise creeping in on the A119 V3 dash cam after a period of use but there is no information to advise end consumers to fix the foam pad to eliminate the vibration. It annoys me that Viofo does not provide adequate information. Consequently I wasted hours on end trying to figure out what the cause of the noise was. Initially I thought I bought a dud.

Last edited:
Generally it's quite a frustrating issue that manufacturers of products in China do not provide adequate or even zero information on how to use the product. If the CPL is non adjustable there should be a pamphlet advising the end consumer of it.
You still did not say which CPL you bought. What brand is it?

If you bought Viofo A119 V3 CPL Edition or Viofo CPL separately there is nothing to adjust, it is preset to the correct setting at the factory. You just put it on the lens until you hear click and that's it.

Similarly there is a problem with vibration noise creeping in on the A119 V3 dash cam after a period of use but there is no information to advise end consumers to fix the foam pad to eliminate the vibration. It annoys me that Viofo does not provide adequate information. Consequently I wasted hours on end trying to figure out what the cause of the noise was. Initially I thought I bought a dud.
We'll solve the problem caused by the 3M Eva Foam Pad in the future. Could you please share a video of the noise that happens on the A119 V3?

You still did not say which CPL you bought. What brand is it?

If you bought Viofo A119 V3 CPL Edition or Viofo CPL separately there is nothing to adjust, it is preset to the correct setting at the factory. You just put it on the lens until you hear click and that's it.
I bought the Viofo CPL separately. I have been able to adjust it to suit my preference. The preset from the factory did not do the job in reducing glare from the windscreen.

Most CPL adjustments are to stop dashboard glare.

In the old days you used to put a white sheet of paper on the dash and rotate the CPL to make the sheet as dark as possible.

My guess is that Viofo have done the same, factory set.

My guess is that Viofo have done the same, factory set.
Not sure why the glass parts aren’t made a rectangular shape, then it would be impossible to either make or install them wrong!

But the new cameras, A139 etc, are back to using circular polarisers, so the users can easily adjust them if they want, which is good since the factory alignment is sometimes a degree or two out of perfection, partly because the cameras are not always installed perfectly level and sometimes because people don’t take account of road camber.

Have you noticed that the reflections come and go depending on the direction the car is facing? From what I know about using a CPL in photographs, the effect of a polarizer depends on the position of the sun relative to the filter. The greatest effect is when the sun is at 90 deg to the direction the camera is pointing e.g from the side .

Have you noticed that the reflections come and go depending on the direction the car is facing? From what I know about using a CPL in photographs, the effect of a polarizer depends on the position of the sun relative to the filter. The greatest effect is when the sun is at 90 deg to the direction the camera is pointing e.g from the side .
No, the effect depends on the angle of the windscreen glass, it is the glass causing the reflections, a windscreen of around 45 degrees is best for the CPL to do its job, it will not do anything with vertical glass. (Look up Brewster Angle if you are interested in why.)

You also get reflections off the road surface if it is wet, and the effect on them depends on the angle of the road, which is generally horizontal!

Like polarised driving glasses, your CPL should always be aligned perfectly vertically, to block horizontally polarised light.

It does also have some effect on the sky, and that does depend on the angle of the sun, the sky doesn't actually have a surface to reflect off. But the effect on the sky is not the reason for using a CPL on a dashcam.

Back