SG9663DC - freezes when trying to set speed unit

nephilim

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi,

I have been using a 9663DC for a few years and saw occasional loss of settings noticed by the start-up sound being played even though it had been switched off before. When that happened I would walk through the settings and correct them. This has now turned into a bigger problem, as the camera freezes as soon as I try to open the menu item "speed unit". It needs to be powered off. Firmware is the latest (1.49). I have replaced the SD card with a new one but that has not solved the problem.

Cheers,
Torsten

Sounds like your camera have been playing tricks on you from a early date, have you tried to reset the camera ( hardware ) as i recall there should be a little hole somewhere on the side of the housing where you can do that with something thin that fit in there.

It do sound like you are outside of warranty by your " few years" thats sad you should have contacted SG as soon as the camera started to act funny, and having to redo settings like that after a boot is indeed funny.

Anyway the SG boss Jokiin are in the hospital since Friday having surgery, so i will tag in the USA rep from the brand so you and him can figure out something.

All yours Jon @Street Guardian USA

Your issues, both the old one and this new one, are new to me, i can not say i have heard about those before, but we will figure something out for / with you.

Looks like Torsten in located in Germany. I can only assist with USA addresses.
@niko should be able to give some upgrade options for EU locations if troubleshooting is exhausted. If this is the original DC I’m assuming it’s been 3+ years.

If things dont work out, let me know i still have my SG9663DC test sample i was sent from SG, i can send it down to you if you guys dont work out something.

Damn,,,, for some reason i was not able to find niko searching for him or i would have highlighted him, but you got him Jon (y),,,,,, as i also expected you would have.....

I had reset the camera via the menu and after that I was able to configure it w/o issues. I will try again.

Honestly, I have no clue how old the camera is... Need to check my mails but probably Niko will know.

Maybe it's time to upgrade anyway ;-)

The olde DC are not a bad camera, but things have moved on since then, even for SG that do not rush into things with the head under the arm.

I have just looked at my old DC camera, the reset hardware hole are on the Left side when you look at the camera from the front.

You can press the switch inside with a needle or a SIM eject tool, or something else that will fit a few mm inside the little hole.

DC.jpg

If you get a new SG camera, make sure to tell niko you are a old customer for a little discount. https://www.hiniko.com/

Anyway what ever new camera you get, if it start to make you think " das kann doch nicht wahr sein " come in here and there will be plenty people who would like to try and help you. :)

If it freezes when selecting "speed unit", try unplugging the GPS antenna. Not sure if that helps, never had similar cases before. Just want to check if it is not related to the GPS antenna fault.
About occasional loss of settings, do you mean it goes back to the factory default or only some certain settings (like time, date) are lost / reset?
Just in case want to ask what exact new microsd card do you use (brand, model, type, speed, capacity etc.)?

Will try the GPS antenna tomorrow! You probably remember... I suspected an antenna fault "a few years" ago, ordered a new antenna but never installed it because the old one seemed to work well again. Will unplug & check tomorrow. If that helps a new antenna is waiting in the shelf.

Typically a loss of settings brings back the logo, removes the speed info and activates the startup sound. Not sure about time... I think time is set once GPS link is established. Time zone was not affected, nor screensaver. Maybe video quality... not sure about that.

I was using Samsung 256GB EVO Plus for the past years until it broke a week ago (beeping sound and card read-only). It was replaced by a SanDisk Extreme 256GB.

Update to the latest firmware if you haven't already, reload it if you hadn't updated recently, will reset everything back to defaults

I tried to set speed unit w/o the antenna connected - no success. I waited until GPS connection was established and tried again - no success. I pressed the reset button (next to the SD slot) but that seems to be just a power off/on - again no success. I flashed the firmware again (it was running on 1.49 already) and that worked. Maybe the easiest way is to simply flash the FW whenever I run into trouble.

I tried to set speed unit w/o the antenna connected - no success. I waited until GPS connection was established and tried again - no success. I pressed the reset button (next to the SD slot) but that seems to be just a power off/on - again no success. I flashed the firmware again (it was running on 1.49 already) and that worked. Maybe the easiest way is to simply flash the FW whenever I run into trouble.
Ok very good, thanks for the update. Yes, performing a firmware update is the only way to truly flush out and reset everything.

Back