How to Address A139 Firmware / Overheating File Corruption Bug

Try this if you don't believe me. Do a Timezone Sync with your phone when connected to wifi But manually set the GMT to a different time.
Manually setting GMT to a different time is an impossibility, GMT is defined and set by Greenwich Observatory.

But I think I know what you mean, and yes I am aware of a "bug" in the app where on a time sync, the app sends the phones local time to the camera instead of sending UTC. For most people this isn't an issue, but if you either haven't set the timezone correctly or you use a different time zone on the camera than on the phone (which is a perfectly valid thing to do), then it gets it wrong. I have reported this to Viofo in the past.

I hope this answers you're question
Yes, although since I don't actually know what was in the beta software you were testing, I will leave it to you and Viofo to resolve between you.

Manually setting GMT to a different time is an impossibility, GMT is defined and set by Greenwich Observatory.

But I think I know what you mean, and yes I am aware of a "bug" in the app where on a time sync, the app sends the phones local time to the camera instead of sending UTC. For most people this isn't an issue, but if you either haven't set the timezone correctly or you use a different time zone on the camera than on the phone (which is a perfectly valid thing to do), then it gets it wrong. I have reported this to Viofo in the past.

I don't know what happened here. But probably what you explained. I wasn't testing for time zone bugs, but I think you're right. I had the time zone to an improper GMT by mistake (manually). I noticed this right before flashing back to version 1.2. Apparently I had scrolled to some random GMT number while setting up 1.6 I couldn't find the necessary files until I looked at 21. But when my phone was synced phone the camera, the camera claimed displayed the proper time. But apparently in trying to set stuff up,

However, after the phone disconnected, the time was all wrong.

O well, time isn't a big deal honestly. I doubt evidence is "invalid" if the clock is wrong.

Yes, although since I don't actually know what was in the beta software you were testing, I will leave it to you and Viofo to resolve between you.

Enjoy. There's the 1.6 Beta I tested from Viofo. It didn't solve the last file corruption issue that I showed above. That was present in 1.1, 1.2, and 1.5 also.

I'm not sure this is an easy fix. I honestly think the "best solution" is Viofo to measure thermal maximums. If 65C is the true supercapacitor maximum operating temperature, then set file to shut down and exit at 64C or 63C I guess.

Don't really know where to go from here.

Now you answered your own question: All Viofo wants is Social Influencers to RAVE about a product, not actually test it.

Yes, I am MAD when I don't get a sample, and then BUY A PRODUCT where all the time and energy was spent getting 30 minute reviews from someone with ZERO INTEREST in thorough testing.

So when a product comes to market with very evident flaws that stem out of a manufacturer's LAZINESS from:

1. Not heat testing and stress testing their product prior to bringing to a consumer
2. Fail to target beta testers to hammer out flaws before moving on to Social Influencers.
You know there are a number of DCT members who did get the A139 to test, and collectively we have volunteered hundreds of hours of our time for testing without any hint of social influencing.

1. The issue over overheating in parking mode and corrupting files happened on two units. Remember, Viofo sent me a replacement and I replicated the problem exactly on the second unit.

2. Files are being corrupted on overheat shutdown. Both Units.
  1. It is not really overheating; it shuts itself down to prevent that from happening, or maybe to prevent the microSD card from overheating.
  2. It does not matter that the last file before an overheat prevention shutdown is not terminated.

All cameras have an upper temperature limit, above which they either fail or shut themselves down. Viofo have tested the A139, using proper testing ovens, up as far as its shutdown temperature, which according to the specification is 65 degrees C, which you have confirmed. This is a normal temperature specification for a dashcam.

You may want a dashcam that can cope with 100 degrees C, or maybe 110, but that is above the specification of many components used in dashcams, no consumer dashcam is going to have a specification that high.

So what is realistic? Reality is that whatever components Viofo use, the specification is still limited by the microSD memory card, and that is why all dashcams have almost identical temperature upper limits. I believe Blackvue have a slightly higher limit, but they also insist that you use their own very expensive memory cards!

If 65C is the true supercapacitor maximum operating temperature, then set file to shut down and exit at 64C or 63C I guess.
I don't know why that hasn't been done, but if it was feasible for Viofo to do this then I think it would have been done, so I suspect it is a processor or SDK issue. In any case, if it shuts down due to temperature then you don't get any recordings, the fact that you may also lose the minute of video from before the shutdown really isn't a significant issue.

I own 2 x A129 Duos (1080ps). Other than the dupe frame issue that was never resolved, those cameras HAVE NEVER FAILED. I mean COLD AS COLD and HOT AS HOT. Never a hiccup.
Yes, your A129 Duos are very reliable. You can thank @Nigel and a few other testers here for the countless hours we put into pre-release testing that helped the A129 become the reliable performer that you like so much.

You know there are a number of DCT members who did get the A139 to test, and collectively we have volunteered hundreds of hours of our time for testing without any hint of social influencing.
Some people took it for testing, some people took it in return for opinions, some took it in return for reviews, some took it in return for social influencing. Everybody is different, and nearly everybody is valuable in some way or other! Viofo does choose a wide variety of people to send samples out to in return for a variety of returns, they don't' only want testers, but they definitely do want some testers.

Now you answered your own question: All Viofo wants is Social Influencers to RAVE about a product, not actually test it.
Did I ask anything?

Yes, I am MAD when I don't get a sample, and then BUY A PRODUCT where all the time and energy was spent getting 30 minute reviews from someone with ZERO INTEREST in thorough testing.
Welcome to the reality. Did somebody forced you to spend the time testing it? Except for community. If you are not satisfied with the product because you think it doesn't work as it should, RMA the product multiple times and eventually get refund...

So when a product comes to market with very evident flaws that stem out of a manufacturer's LAZINESS from:
Probably not "very evident" since only very few, almost "nobody" encountered this issue. But because Viofo supposedly acknowledge it, probably a rare combination of conditions have to be met. And please, don't repeat again how you tested two units. (I remember that well enough)

I'm not demanding attention. I'm making other's aware of a problem. Why should someone else be spending money without full knowledge of a product's limitations?

It'd be like you buying smart phone, and being told it works anywhere in Europe. You leave Germany / Czech Republic and then discover the phone has no coverage.

I bet you'd say... Well I'll send it back. Not leave a review and warn others.....Doubtful.
Sure, I have nothing against healthy review which covers experience of that particular user. Even mentioning that two units were tested with the same result is usable info. But I'll get quite annoyed seeing the same review repeating over and over again, being mad because they didn't gave him a sample of A139 which he had to buy, then noticed the issues and now he thinks he's entitled to get a free sample of another product...

1. My Car is a very dark color car
2. My Car interior is Black Dashboard and lighter seats
3. Windows Ceramic Tinted - Absorb lots of heat
Your car could be pitch black and probably wouldn't hit 65°C, even though 22°C was today's max temperature for Sweden.

4. I was several hours away visiting someone and left car parked. I guestimated temperature. Didn't look at phone to see exact weather. Could have been a bit hotter. Either way, it was irrelevant.
If you haven't cross a sea, then the whole north Europe was hovering around this or lower temperatures.

I'm not sure this is an easy fix. I honestly think the "best solution" is Viofo to measure thermal maximums. If 65C is the true supercapacitor maximum operating temperature, then set file to shut down and exit at 64C or 63C I guess.

Don't really know where to go from here.
You will get there at around 26°C ambient in garage. After such modification the dashcam then won't be usable at all around the globe. Viofo hits the supercaps maximum even almost at room temperature...

But why not him? He didn't get the chance to shine!

I agree and am very appreciative for other DCT member's time. The A129 Duo is by far the absolute most reliable camera I have owned or tested. Hands down. @Nigel and other's deserve endless amounts of credit.

Some people took it for testing, some people took it in return for opinions, some took it in return for reviews, some took it in return for social influencing. Everybody is different, and nearly everybody is valuable in some way or other! Viofo does choose a wide variety of people to send samples out to in return for a variety of returns, they don't' only want testers, but they definitely do want some testers.

We are on the same page @tony and @Nigel. However, my perspective is a bit different. Say you have 100 Samples. A smart business decision would be to first send out 25 samples to KNOWN testers in very cold climates. And 25 Samples to well known testers in Very Hot climate. Give them a few weeks to report feedback.

If problems are noticed in a very cold area or very hot, find additional testers and verify the problem. I.E. Send out another 10, 15, 20, etc to Hot Weather Testers.

If that problem is again verified, proceed to create resolutions.

Once testers report no more major bugs, send remaining units to Social Influencers for review.

Giving the consumer a truly working product that's not just "reviews" to get more promotional products. As tends to be the case.

I.E. Amazon, Youtube, Redit.

Not here...Never accused DCT of bias.

Did I ask anything?

Welcome to the reality. Did somebody forced you to spend the time testing it? Except for community. If you are not satisfied with the product because you think it doesn't work as it should, RMA the product multiple times and eventually get refund...

Seems pointless waste of time to keep RMA'ing a product where two units from different batches exhibit the exact same behavior. Isn't the definition of madness trying to repeat the same test over and over and expecting different results?

Is it definitive beyond doubts that two units could be faulty? No. Is it unlikely that two "faulty units" manufacturered in different batches (serial numbers are far apart) exhibit the same behavior. Yes.
Probably not "very evident" since only very few, almost "nobody" encountered this issue. But because Viofo supposedly acknowledge it, probably a rare combination of conditions have to be met. And please, don't repeat again how you tested two units. (I remember that well enough)

Well, I have a fine idea. Send out these units to beta testers, along with a hardwire kit, to people in Greece, Italy, Australia, Texas, Florida, South America, etc and tell them to let their units cook in the sun. Not rocket science.

If they can get their hardwired units in parking mode to exhibit the same behavior, then I'm not making it up. If not, then maybe I have a faulty unit.

Guess what? I've not seen any person on DCT from a very hot climate stating they ran parking mode and a direct sun test on an A139...

Sure, I have nothing against healthy review which covers experience of that particular user. Even mentioning that two units were tested with the same result is usable info. But I'll get quite annoyed seeing the same review repeating over and over again, being mad because they didn't gave him a sample of A139 which he had to buy, then noticed the issues and now he thinks he's entitled to get a free sample of another product...

No. I'm mad that I have bought and tested the A139 to find flaws still exist. And that my opinion isn't valued enough to be included in the T130 test. Apparently, wanting a real review and camera run through the paces to help correct potential bugs prior to releasing to the consumer, is not Viofo's End Goal.

Note: I repeat: You know all my concerns are very easy to validate WITHOUT MY HELP, if Viofo wanted to take the time and effort....Again Mail units to VERY HOT climates. Send Hardwire Kits. Tell these people to park in the sun, and see if they get corrupt files. Beta testing and repeating results isn't rocket science.

Funny, but I believe you gave me the same nonsense speech with the Zenfox T3.

End Result: There's a Hypothesized Problem. Find out if the problem is "ME" or the "Hardware". Seek out others to test. Simple.

Last edited:
@HonestReview: do you still own the A139 and facing overheating issues including corrupted files? Just wondering because I just own a A139 2ch and noticed the camera booted when i returned to my car and turned on the ignition. That triggered me and after a couple of times I assume the camera was shut down due to heating issues.
I hardwired the cam, having parking mode on low bitrate setting and today, the ambient temp was only around 20C the cam was shut down around 11:30 am. The only difference with your findings, are that my files are NOT corrupted. At this moment I am running the latest FW from Viofos site (1.6 2022_0106).
I bought this cam because I really needed parking surveillace but now It dissapoints me that even with ambient temps of 20C it can not handle it.

Just wanted to know whether you've found out something? I've dowloaded some older FW's so I will try them tomorrow.

by the way: what I also noticed: the camera completed recording before sutting down. then when I return to the car and start the engine, It writes the last videos to the memory card.

example:
parking mode started: 8:15am
last file written on the SD: 11:29 am (video timestamp is from 11:28:00-11:29:00; so complete 1min file)
returned to my car at 17:14.
on my SD card there is a parking file written at 17:14 which has a timestamp of 11:29:00-11:29:38 so this were the last 38sec before the cam shut down but it was written to the SD card AFTER i returned to the car)

strange right? Or does it "work as designed"

by the way: what I also noticed: the camera completed recording before sutting down. then when I return to the car and start the engine, It writes the last videos to the memory card.

example:
parking mode started: 8:15am
last file written on the SD: 11:29 am (video timestamp is from 11:28:00-11:29:00; so complete 1min file)
returned to my car at 17:14.
on my SD card there is a parking file written at 17:14 which has a timestamp of 11:29:00-11:29:38 so this were the last 38sec before the cam shut down but it was written to the SD card AFTER i returned to the car)

strange right? Or does it "work as designed"
Are you sure it wasn’t just the low voltage shut off aspect of the hardwire kit?

Are you sure it wasn’t just the low voltage shut off aspect of the hardwire kit?
I doubt it because of the following (but maybe you're right):

1. Parking mode works fine during the whole evening+night. Cam has not shutdown the next morning
2. I have a second 60Ah deep cycle battery dedicated for the cam which is charged during drive and isolated from the starter battery when parked. Hardwire is connected to this deep cycle battery. Hw kit cutoff is set to 12v but I measured the voltage on the battery one time the cam was shutdown. It was around 12.5V

Only thing what CAN be the case is that there is a 0.5V loss in the cable from the battery (which is in the trunk) and the hw kit which is in the front of the car. Tomorrow I will measure at both sides to check and put the results here. If there is some losses, I can put the threshold to 11.8v

this morning I've measured the voltage on the (second) battery poles and at the HWkit. Both indicating 12.65V so there is no noticable loss in the cabling.
Therefore I don't expect the the low voltage shut off is the cause of the cam shutting down.
Today parked the car at the same place as yesterday. Expected ambient temperature today: 20C-23C (same as yesterday). Low voltage shut off changed from 12V to 11.8V on the HWkit so let's see what happens.....

I want to join the issue of broken data when overheating in parking mode.
City of Volgograd, Russian Federation. This is not the equator, this is the south of Russia. At 9 am the temperature outside is +33. The registrar after 30 minutes of work in the parking mode is stupidly cut down and spoils the files. The next time you turn it on manually, the registrar says that it is recording, but no new files appear.
And the registrar settings are lost, but not all, partially. After formatting the memory card through the recorder settings, recording resumes in normal mode until the next overheating.
And most importantly, the registrar does not report in any way that data is not being written to the card, but continues to speak, the recording of three channels has simply begun.
Installed firmware 1.6_0106
Why do we need such a parking mode of the registrar, which lands the battery in the winter and is cut down, and turns off in the summer due to the heat. I am sure that he can turn off from overheating even in motion, because. is under the sun on the windshield and I do not see his condition!

Back