Second Major Problem on A139. - Voltage Cutoff Corrupt File.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The A139 has TWO MAJOR ISSUES.

1. Overheating Shutdown.
2. Corrupt File.

Corrupt file is NOT specific to overheating. It's no where near warm outside, but I have been cleaning out the house, so my car is sitting outside with parking mode running. Voltage cutoff set to 12.2V. I noticed with low voltage cutoff, the last file is corrupt on Voltage Cutoff Shutdown.

So the basic problem, is camera does not exit properly on Voltage Cutoff AND Overheat. Corrupting the last file AT SHUTDOWN.

Very easy for someone to test this one one. I am running Firmware 1.2 and Tested this on both 3 minute and 5 minute loop files. However, I imagine this will be a problem on ALL FIRMWARES since the Overheat Shutdown problem + Corrupt File remained on Version 1.6 since I last tested.

Meaning, the Voltage Cutoff Shutdown + Corrupt File will likely be there, too (Front + Interior + Rear).

Testing Conditions:

Park Car outside. Let car shut off with voltage cutoff. Check for Corrupt files.

Appears SuperCapacitor is dead on my camera. Soon as I yank the power cord, the camera shuts off. Corrupting the files. Doesn't speak highly for the A139's long term reliability.

Let car run 10 minutes. While car was running, yanked power cord, and camera immediately shuts off, resulting in corrupted files.

I hope my heat tests aren't the reason why this supercapacitor died or we're going to have longterm durability issues on the A139.

Last edited:
Haven't you done the power lead pull test in your extensive testing previously?
Just wondering if it had a different outcome when the camera was new and the super cap has now failed or if it’s been the cause of the corrupted files all along.

Reactions: EGS
Haven't you done the power lead pull test in your extensive testing previously?
Just wondering if it had a different outcome when the camera was new and the super cap has now failed or if it’s been the cause of the corrupted files all along.

Ya I'm 99% sure I did. Viofo is trying to blame this on firmware. I did power pull test I believe on Camera #1 and then Camera #2. Seems the overheat test might have fried the supercap. Not very encouraging for longterm durability.

Waiting for Viofo to acknowledge my camera is bad and send me replacement. It's 100% definite the supercap died on this one.

Do you still have camera #1?

No. Had to send back Cam #1 to keep cam #2.

I did the Power Pull Test on Camera #1. It worked fine, and retained power a few seconds, when it exited properly. Properly closing the file. I am 95% sure I did this same test on this camera in the beginning and it worked fine.

My guess, the heat tests fried the supercap. Could have gone bad on its own, too.

No. Had to send back Cam #1 to keep cam #2.

I did the Power Pull Test on Camera #1. It worked fine, and retained power a few seconds, when it exited properly. Properly closing the file. I am 95% sure I did this same test on this camera in the beginning and it worked fine.

My guess, the heat tests fried the supercap. Could have gone bad on its own, too.

You went from 99% sure to 95% sure... and dropping? Why not 100%
I see you are doubtful of your own test on that particular matter.

I just got home after 12 hours on the road. I am pretty damn certain I ran the same power pull test on camera #2 when I got it. 95 or 99%. Whatever the heck I wrote.

I'm sure when I am more coherent since its really early in the damn morning and I've yet to sleep, I can look back at the original thread and find the answer you want to make it 100%.

Either Way

Camera #1 on Firmware 1.2 = Retained power and Exited File properly on Power Pull.
Camera #2 on Firmware 1.2 = Shuts down IMMEDIATELY and corrupts file.

Supercap bad....Not sure what else would cause this issue.

To Answer Your Question... I 100% ran this test on the First Unit. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL:

Post #293

Viofo Support is useless. I asked them about the cable question and I got back "Camera May Overheat on Hot Days". Nothing to do with what I asked them of course. Then Supercapacitor is bad if last file is corrupt. Camera's supercapcitor is working at least on a "Clean Non Overheating" shutdown where I yank out power cord.

I've verified unit doesn't work with right angle cable on firmware 1.1, and this failure is not correlated to hot days. However, I want to test your second theory. Right Angle Cable is may be cause of camera failure on hot days.

@Nath Is there a way to test for heat related resistance without having another cable at hand? I guess the secondary way is if my replacement camera fails (upon receiving it), then we know there's more going on.

I am 100% certain, I ran this same test upon immediately receiving camera #2.. I'll have to find where I wrote that at.

Either way, Camera #2 has a bad supercapacitor. Since it doesn't cleanly shut down using the exact same firmware. Chances are the overheating tests from the camera or the supercap was just poor quality on this unit.

I'm 100% certain I tested the second camera by pulling power cord, when I first received. I discussed running this test on the first unit, which had zero issues on firmware 1.2 Positive Second unit had test run in beginning.

No matter how you slice it, the supercapacitor is now dead in camera #2.

Not a great track record if a 2 months of summer weather fried supercapacitor. Hoping just a crap made unit.

Waiting on Viofo support. Told them im not going to spend money sending a unit that lasted 2 months to China. That's their responsibility! Also requested advanced RMA. Offered them a payment method if they don't trust me.

No matter how you slice it, the supercapacitor is now dead in camera #2.
It is odd the caps died that fast but definitely a possibility as they can only handle so much heat. Your description points to that possibility.

Have you used any power source/adapters other that what was provided in the package?

Too bad you can't open the unit without risking voiding your warranty.

Interesting to see what is the physical condition of the caps and see what kind voltage readings they bring, if any.

It is odd the caps died that fast but definitely a possibility as they can only handle so much heat. Your description points to that possibility.

I'm really hoping these caps have more longevity. I won't lie, my tint gets VERY VERY hot when in direct sunlight. I put my hand on it during the summer, and the ceramic tint absorbs a lot of heat.

This could be why I have been more successful at running these tests. Although, the A129 Duo in the same position on opposite side, has never once overheated or turned off.

The worrisome part is if this will cause the Supercapacitor to die prematurely or if this is a one off problem. Again, I don't know when it died. The weather is now colder (60F / 16C) so we know overheating isn't a problem now. I was cleaning out the house, and had car parked outside a few days. Just happened to check video and see corrupted files. Decided that was strange, left car outside again til camera shut off, and saw corrupted files a second time. I then ran a Pull Power Cord Test, and sure enough, the camera powered down immediately corrupting files.

Have you used any power source/adapters other that what was provided in the package?

Just the Viofo USB-C 3 wire Hardwire Kit hooked to the exact same fuses I use on the A129 Duo. Heated Seats (ACC) and Power Seats (Battery) And Ground. One uses Passenger Seat and Other Drivers Seat Fuses. No troubles on these fuses with the A129 Duo.

Too bad you can't open the unit without risking voiding your warranty.

Interesting to see what is the physical condition of the caps and see what kind voltage readings they bring, if any.

1. Not sure how the Viofo A139 Opens up. But even if I knew how, I can't risk voiding warranty. Last thing I want Viofo to do is refuse to replace the camera I paid full price for! No Promo here.

2. Not sure how I would test the voltage of the caps. However, my guess would be the SuperCapacitor is probably blown or leaking. Which it is easy to observe whether the head of a cap is blown, bulging, or leaking.

Heat test. My Ceramic Tint and Windshield got scolding hot in the sun during the summer. So why I probably had more luck with overheating the camera. Hope overheating tests didn't fry supercapacitor. As anyone in Southern Hemisphere will be screwed if that's the case. Hoping this is a one off defective camera with a poor quality SuperCap versus an issue where all cameras after overheating will result in a short lifespan and a dead SuperCap.

Maybe you need to remove that tint :p:D:ROFLMAO:

Has anyone else done what you do? That is, yank the plug out just to see if it causes damage? I'm thinking 99.99% of owners would never do this under normal conditions. Or are you the only person wise enough/daft enough to do it?

So why I probably had more luck with overheating the camera.
What has luck got to do with it? Deliberately subjecting the camera to intense heat is not luck...

If your job is to test things then that is fine, but not so sensible when you are buying the camera yourself!

When a reasonable person knowingly exceeds the listed specs of anything they accept that their actions can lead to failure. It was much the same for me when I was told long ago that continuous recording might kill my dashcam; I accepted the well-meant advice and the risk, but since I could not find anyone who had actually tried it I decided that I would. Happily my results were good, but if they hadn't been I would not have complained about it one bit :cool:

I'd say the lesson here is that if your car has ceramic tint, on the windshield then it probably isn't a good place to put a cam. If you exceed the listed specs knowingly or unknowingly you can have no complaint. It is up to the user to not exceed the specs, and solely their own fault if said excesses cause failure :cautious:

Phil

I'd say the lesson here is that if your car has ceramic tint, on the windshield then it probably isn't a good place to put a cam.
Also not a good place to put a CPL or use polarized sunglasses, unless you like rainbow patterns!

Maybe you need to remove that tint :p:D:ROFLMAO:

Has anyone else done what you do? That is, yank the plug out just to see if it causes damage? I'm thinking 99.99% of owners would never do this under normal conditions. Or are you the only person wise enough/daft enough to do it?
That's exactly what I was thinking...

What has luck got to do with it? Deliberately subjecting the camera to intense heat is not luck...

If your job is to test things then that is fine, but not so sensible when you are buying the camera yourself!
I also found it a silly way to brag about it.

Back