Status
Not open for further replies.
"You broke no traffic rules, the guy who hit you did, but you should have been able to read his mind."
If the OP laid a charge of hit & run I'm the case is going to end up in court so the accused will need to get legal representation.
I'm just thinking how the defense attorney is going to fight this case.
I don't know USA laws & I know each state has different laws but I do know how a lawyer thinks & can give the OP a general idea of what to expect when the case goes to court.
If you look carefully from 1:09.
The Lexus came from the slip road, crossed two tuning right lanes (breaking multiple traffic bylaws) assuming everyone would stop for him, then at 1:17 he starts to go over into the op's lane.
Can you honestly say between 1:15 & 1:17 the OP had no idea the Lexus was going to make another idiotic move & turn into his lane & therefore did not hoot, brake or even swerve?

After colliding the OP made no attempt to slow down or stop.
How do you know the accused saw the OP drive into the garage?
(Take not the driver of the Lexus was just involved in a collision & is now in a state of shock.)

Has the driver of the Lexus reported the accident?

If the OP laid a charge of hit & run I'm the case is going to end up in court so the accused will need to get legal representation.
I'm just thinking how the defense attorney is going to fight this case.
I don't know USA laws & I know each state has different laws but I do know how a lawyer thinks & can give the OP a general idea of what to expect when the case goes to court.
If you look carefully from 1:09.
The Lexus came from the slip road, crossed two tuning right lanes (breaking multiple traffic bylaws) assuming everyone would stop for him, then at 1:17 he starts to go over into the op's lane.
Can you honestly say between 1:15 & 1:17 the OP had no idea the Lexus was going to make another idiotic move & turn into his lane & therefore did not hoot, brake or even swerve?

After colliding the OP made no attempt to slow down or stop.
How do you know the accused saw the OP drive into the garage?
(Take not the driver of the Lexus was just involved in a collision & is now in a state of shock.)

Has the driver of the Lexus reported the accident?

In this country, that video would be shown by the prosecutor, and case closed. Judge would be annoyed the defendant and his lawyer wasted the court's time.

That's assuming that the Lexus driver and his attorney were dumb enough to let this get in front of a judge. OP's video makes this one easy, from a legal perspective.

Lexus driver is lucky he didn't get chased down and that no witnesses reported him with his plate number. Likely ran because he had no insurance, no license, a warrant, could have been anything. He'll probably never be found now.

In this country, that video would be shown by the prosecutor, and case closed. Judge would be annoyed the defendant and his lawyer wasted the court's time.

That's assuming that the Lexus driver and his attorney were dumb enough to let this get in front of a judge. OP's video makes this one easy, from a legal perspective.

Lexus driver is lucky he didn't get chased down and that no witnesses reported him with his plate number. Likely ran because he had no insurance, no license, a warrant, could have been anything. He'll probably never be found now.
I would go ask the garage owner if he hasn't got any cctv footage of the accident.

I would go ask the garage owner if he hasn't got any cctv footage of the accident.

Pointless most likely. Chances security footage on a business caught the accident are high. Chances security footage provides a plate number. Nonexistant. Not giving OP any more than we already see from his own footage.

Questions have been raised here (by @Nigel) about whether and where the OP's car got hit by the Lexus.

Don't see any evidence of a collision on the video

And member @Nigel repeatedly excoriates the OP for failing to avoid the other car because he proceeds through the intersection without slowing down or making an effort to avoid getting hit by the other driver.

it would have been sensible for the OP to have avoided the collision

the OP accelerated into the collision so did get damaged.

Unfortunately, the OP has not posted anything further (so far) to enlighten us with more details of what occurred but I reviewed the first of his two posts he provided to this thread and learned something we all seem to have skipped over.

He was hit by the Lexus RX 350 in the REAR left corner of his vehicle!

So, it turns out that the OP probably reduced the severity of the accident because he continued through the intersection when he had a green light and the right-of-way. He didn't "accelerate into the collision" as he has been accused of. Indeed, he might have been T-boned had he slowed down and would have been better off if he had accelerated more than he did! He might even have avoided the collision entirely! Apparently, it was a good thing he couldn't read the mind of the Lexus driver so that he could anticipate the pre-crime he was about to commit!

Today i was just about to go into work when a car 2 lanes over to my left decided last minute to cut off everyone and not see me and hit my left rear end.

This would explain the OP's actions when he got out of his car at the convenience store and made a phone call from behind his vehicle at the end of the video.

Last edited:

I would think leaving the scene of an accident is a crime most any place. Unless this is some 90 year old person who shouldn't be on the road in the first place and had no clue what transpired. At which time, I doubt they throw'd criminal charges, and more likely take their license for good. Short of that, having been hit a few times in my years of driving, there's no missing the fact two cars collide. Between the jolting and the sound of metal grinding, it's pretty clear what happened!

I'd be going back to the scene and see if there are any CCTV cameras around and try and grab something from them.

This seems the best solution.

That certainly seems like a worthwhile avenue to explore but I have a hunch that CCTV footage from that distance wouldn't be any better at capturing a license plate number. Then again, the Lexus may have stopped somewhere nearby to inspect the damage to his own vehicle so inquiring at several business along the route after the right hand turn might prove fruitful.

Between the jolting and the sound of metal grinding, it's pretty clear what happened!
Metal grinding? I can't hear anything but "MUSIC"!
It's certainly not good audio evidence.

I would think leaving the scene of an accident is a crime most any place.
Not here.

And calling emergency services would potentially be illegal here, as there is clearly no emergency, life threatening or otherwise.

Metal grinding? I can't hear anything but "MUSIC"!
It's certainly not good audio evidence.

Not here.

And calling emergency services would potentially be illegal here, as there is clearly no emergency, life threatening or otherwise.

Per not hearing Metal on Metal...OP's Stereo makes hearing anything impossible but Vibrations of his car and Speaker....Again, if choice of Music was a Crime, OP would be sentenced to life in prison....

It's a good thing you aren't a lawyer and qualified to dispense legal advice.

Fail To Stop And Failing To Report An Accident​

Hit and Run Offence​

The penalties for failing to stop following an accident or collision (often called hit and run) are significant. You face 5 – 10 penalty points on your licence, up to £5,000 fine and a potential prison sentence of up to 6 months.
Hit and run often deals with car park scrapes and damage caused, but becomes much more serious when personal injury has occurred

Only if you can catch the perp.

Or the person driving is astute enough to:

1. Not have a stalk mounted camera, a sh*tty taste in music, and a car that is being vibrated by said speakers and Sh*tty taste in music.
2. Doesn't assume the license plates is captured and follows the guy to get a plate.

Otherwise, while there is a crime, the person committing it won't be captured unless a witness got the plates and reported him.

Last edited:
Or the person driving is astute enough to:

1. Not have a stalk mounted camera, a sh*tty taste in music, and a car that is being vibrated by said speakers and Sh*tty taste in music.
2. Doesn't assume the license plates is captured and follows the guy to get a plate.

Otherwise, while there is a crime, the person committing it won't be captured unless a witness got the plates and reported him.

We essentially said the same thing...

It's a good thing you aren't a lawyer and qualified to dispense legal advice.
Fortunately I can read the law better than that lawer selling free legal advice that you found on the interweb :ROFLMAO:
If you look back to TonyM's story of his hit and run about a year ago, you will see how the law here actually works.

TonyM's story of his hit and run about a year ago, you will see how the law here actually works
I thought someone might bring that up

Short story:
- Oncoming driver in middle of road hits my car. I stop. She stops briefly, then drives away.
- I was testing 7 cameras. Thankfully I pulled the number plate from one of them. Reported incident to police.
- Police tracked down driver. Gave me her contact details. Police did not want any further involvement.
- My insurance company attempted to recover repair costs from other party.
- They offered 50:50, and actually claimed the accident was wholly and materially contributed to by my negligence, including failing to avoid her vehicle.
- Court date was set. My insurers finally sent the dashcam evidence to the other insurers (after 10 months or so). Other party withdrew their 50:50 offer and paid in full.

Last edited:
I thought someone might bring that u

Short story:
- Oncoming driver in middle of road hits my car. I stop. She stops briefly, then drives away.
- I was testing 7 cameras. Thankfully I pulled the number plate from one of them. Reported incident to police.
- Police tracked down driver. Gave me her contact details. Police did not want any further involvement.
- They offered 50:50, and actually claimed the accident was wholly and materially contributed to by my negligence, including failing to avoid her vehicle.
- Court date was set. My insurers finally sent the dashcam evidence to the other insurers (after 10 months or so). Other party withdrew their 50:50 offer and paid in full.

Moral of the story:

It helps to have your car literally bristling with dash cameras along with good imaging skills, otherwise you are at the mercy of law enforcement that does not care to be involved, defendants and insurance companies that are more than willing to falsely accuse you of failing to avoid a situation that is 100% unavoidable and clearly no fault of your own, and a legal system that allows for all of this to occur to innocent victims of another driver's dangerous actions who proceeds to flee the scene of an accident that they clearly caused.

No thanks. I'll take the American legal system that directly holds drivers accountable for their illegal and negligent driving behavior.

I thought someone might bring that u

Short story:

An Isolated and anecdotal incident, along with police laziness, doesn't negate the fact that a law regarding hit and run still exists. It appears since the police didn't press the issue, it became an insurance matter at that point.

Moral of the story:

It helps to have your car literally bristling with dash cameras along with good imaging skills, otherwise you are at the mercy of law enforcement that does not care to be involved, defendants and insurance companies that are more than willing to falsely accuse you of failing to avoid a situation that is 100% unavoidable and clearly no fault of your own, and a legal system that allows for all of this to occur to innocent victims of another driver's dangerous actions who proceeds to flee the scene of an accident that they clearly caused.

No thanks. I'll take the American legal system that directly holds drivers accountable for their illegal and negligent driving behavior.
+1

Fortunately I can read the law better than that lawer selling free legal advice that you found on the interweb :ROFLMAO:
If you look back to TonyM's story of his hit and run about a year ago, you will see how the law here actually works.

One word. Anecdotal. A law exists, the police were lazy and chose not to enforce it. If I were @TonyM I would have reached out to prosecutors office and tried to escalate the matter if that's possible in the UK.

The police failed to do their job.

So @Nigel, are you a lawyer then? Because that lawyer clearly cites UK criminal code for hit and run, so one does exist on the books.

I had an instance where a person rear ended my car and his insurance tried to laughably say they weren't responsible. I let the agent talk and tell me 1000 excuses on why they weren't going to cover the accident. That all ended with a stutter and an about face when they got my Dash Cam video...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back