2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about Vermont, but here, for farm grassland, which is the biggest use of ammonia, and one of the biggest contributors to CO2 emissions, the Nitrogen is typically treated separately from the other nutrients rather than being blended in. Also, for farm grass crops, the Nitrogen is the main component of the fertiliser and by far the biggest contributor to CO2 emissions, partly because the other nutrients often come from organic fertilisers such as slurry.

That is why I used the phrase "depending on the crop". Obviously, you see what you want to see when you read and reply to my posts.

The slurry I mentioned above, is often farm slurry, generally from cows, but on farms that don't have cows, it typically comes from human waste treatment. Yes, it is rich in potassium and phosphorous, and many other useful plant nutrients. Has been used since last century, so not exactly a unique new idea!

Vermont agriculture sounds far more diversified than what you describe in the UK.

Farm slurry is rather a different animal than human urine. The same applies to "human waste sewage" which contains solids and all kinds of other unknown stuff.

Human sewage waste being spread on crops in the UK sounds like a very risky practice, especially because it includes these solids (poop and many harmful contaminants). Human urine used alone is different because it can be pasteurized and research at Rich Earth Institute is exploring how to remove contaminants such as pharmaceuticals. One of the worst things being found in sewage waste sludge are PFAS "forever chemicals". The farmland being treated with sewage is being ruined literally forever!

If successful the research being conducted by Rich Earth Institute may have enormous benefits to places such as small rural agricultural communities in third world nations that have poor soils and otherwise inadequate waste treatment available to them, as well as few resources to afford to purchase fertilizers. Here in Vermont it is only being used experimentally at this point on hay fields, not crops directly consumed by humans.

Apparently, the UK is woefully behind the times of the practice of spreading human waste on food crops.

Self promotional hyperbole like comparing your questionable prototype invention to the success Elon Musk has finally achieved with Tesla after 18 years of hard work and near failure is simply cringe worthy.

(Speaking of which, just last night I noticed that our local Tesla supercharger facility that was recently expanded to 16 chargers from 8 was almost completely full of cars as the Thanksgiving holiday travel season here in Vermont gets under way. Never seen it that full!)

80% of Electricity in the United States is powered by fossil fuels (Coal), fracking (Natural Gas), and nuclear power. Meaning only 20% of that energy coming to those recharge stations is renewable right now.

So those "Tesla Drivers" are still contributing to Carbon Emissions, Pollution, and the consumption of fossil fuels......

Until benign, environmentally friendly methods of producing energy become mainstream, you're cherry picking one "poison" for another.

outlet-graph-large.jpg

Last edited:
80% of Electricity in the United States is powered by fossil fuels (Coal), fracking (Natural Gas), and nuclear power. Meaning only 20% of that energy coming to those recharge stations is renewable right now.

So those "Tesla Drivers" are still contributing to Carbon Emissions, Pollution, and the consumption of fossil fuels......

outlet-graph-large.jpg
Well, so what?

The advent of electric cars is in its infancy. We have to start somewhere. And we need to bring about this paradigm shift as soon as possible. Towards that end, Elon Musk literally gave away the patents to his Tesla technology all the way back in 2014 to "accelerate the advent of sustainable transport".

All Our Patent Are Belong To You - Elon Musk, CEO, Tesla - June 12, 2014

"Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology."

In the meantime, every electric vehicle on the road requires no fossil fuel gasoline, no fossil derived oil changes, no toxic radiator fluid, emits no toxic emissions or pollutants and requires a fraction of the maintenance. And increasingly, electric car changers are being integrated with solar chargers.

Solar Panel for Electric Vehicle Charging Market Outlook 2021: Big Things are Happening

The goal is to transfer to solar, wind, nuclear, hydrogen, tidal and wave power and other forms as soon as conceivably possible.

You appear to be making a ridiculous, gratuitous argument. Why am I not surprised?

Until benign, environmentally friendly methods of producing energy become mainstream, you're cherry picking one "poison" for another.

outlet-graph-large.jpg
Pretty sure that they're not.
Not the ones in Vermont at least.

US-State-Energy-Mix-scaled.jpg

STATE (ELECTRICITY SOURCE 2020)COALGASOILNUCLEARHYDROGEOTHERMALSOLARWINDBIOMASS AND OTHER
Vermont0%0%0%0%58%0%8%16%18%

Pretty sure that they're not.
Not the ones in Vermont at least.

US-State-Energy-Mix-scaled.jpg

STATE (ELECTRICITY SOURCE 2020)COALGASOILNUCLEARHYDROGEOTHERMALSOLARWINDBIOMASS AND OTHER
Vermont0%0%0%0%58%0%8%16%18%

Hydroelectric is very destructive to the environment. That's called "Damming" rivers, redirecting water flows, changing migration patterns, natural flooding patterns, etc.

The point remains, is that 80% of the energy generating in the United States is not renewable.

Hydroelectric is very destructive to the environment. That's called "Damming" rivers, redirecting water flows, changing migration patterns, natural flooding patterns, etc.

The point remains, is that 80% of the energy generating in the United States is not renewable.

Hydro Quebec which is one of eastern Canada's and New England's largest suppliers of electric power has been in business since 1944 and supplies 37,370 megawatts of renewable, carbon free power.

Yet another gratuitous argument, apparently.

Well, so what?

The advent of electric cars is in its infancy. We have to start somewhere. And we need to bring about this paradigm shift as soon as possible. Towards that end, Elon Musk literally gave away the patents to his Tesla technology all the way back in 2014 to "accelerate the advent of sustainable transport".

All Our Patent Are Belong To You - Elon Musk, CEO, Tesla - June 12, 2014

"Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology."

In the meantime, every electric vehicle on the road requires no fossil fuel gasoline, no fossil derived oil changes, no toxic radiator fluid, emits no toxic emissions or pollutants and requires a fraction of the maintenance. And increasingly, electric car changers are being integrated with solar chargers.

Solar Panel for Electric Vehicle Charging Market Outlook 2021: Big Things are Happening

The goal is to transfer to solar, wind, nuclear, hydrogen, tidal and wave power and other forms as soon as conceivably possible.

You appear to be making a ridiculous, gratuitous argument. Why am I not surprised?

So What? - Here you're chastising an attempt at reusing waste and creating fertilizers, by defending a farmer's lost productivity by having to blend ingredients together.

But when I point out that America is a wasteful country (80% of it's energy is derived from fossil fuels and damaging practices), you tell me "So What", we have to start somewhere.

Farmers get a free pass because it's wasteful of their time, but America's over reliance on fossil fuels "has to start somewhere". Yes, your doesn't surprise me one bit. Tongue and cheek response. Reducing waste, has to start somewhere, too. Even if it results in some lost productivity!

FYI: So what that Elon Musk shared his patents? Warren Buffet and Bill Gates pledged to give away 90% of their wealth to charity upon death. Your Point?

The article makes it all sound so simple, but it fails to mention the other ingredients involved in fertilizers, such as potassium chloride, phosphorus and other ancillary ingredients that all must be carefully blended together before application. This places a lot of burden and loss of productivity on farmers who may otherwise have fertilizers delivered ready to apply depending on the crop. In any case, ammonia has great potential for carbon free power to eliminate green house gases so anything that promotes it will be a good thing. I've been following developments with a young company called AMMPOWER that is engaged with interesting pioneering work with ammonia production and cracking using a catalyst technology to release hydrogen for use in marine, rail and cargo logistics.

Here in Vermont, a state with a primarily agricultural based economy has been shunning chemical fertilizers left and right in favor of organic methods, even in larger more industrial operations. It has been quite a revolution to witness over the years since it began as a counter culture phenomenon on hippy communes back in the late 1960s.

Hydro Quebec which is one of eastern Canada's and New England's largest suppliers of electric power has been in business since 1944 and supplies 37,370 megawatts of renewable, carbon free power.

Yet another gratuitous argument, apparently.

Again, nonsensical response without merit. Keep trying! Dams are very harmful to the environment.

Environmental impact of Dams.

How Hydroelectric Power Works - I.E. Creating a Dam

So just how do we get electricity from water? Actually, hydroelectric and coal-fired power plants produce electricity in a similar way. In both cases a power source is used to turn a propeller-like piece called a turbine.

The theory is to build a dam on a large river that has a large drop in elevation (there are not many hydroelectric plants in Kansas or Florida). The dam stores lots of water behind it in the reservoir. Near the bottom of the dam wall there is the water intake. Gravity causes it to fall through the penstock inside the dam. At the end of the penstock there is a turbine propellor, which is turned by the moving water. The shaft from the turbine goes up into the generator, which produces the power. Power lines are connected to the generator that carry electricity to your home and mine. The water continues past the propellor through the tailrace into the river past the dam. By the way, it is not a good idea to be playing in the water right below a dam when water is released!

Again, nonsensical response without merit. Keep trying.

So just how do we get electricity from water? Actually, hydroelectric and coal-fired power plants produce electricity in a similar way. In both cases a power source is used to turn a propeller-like piece called a turbine.

The theory is to build a dam on a large river that has a large drop in elevation (there are not many hydroelectric plants in Kansas or Florida). The dam stores lots of water behind it in the reservoir. Near the bottom of the dam wall there is the water intake. Gravity causes it to fall through the penstock inside the dam. At the end of the penstock there is a turbine propellor, which is turned by the moving water. The shaft from the turbine goes up into the generator, which produces the power. Power lines are connected to the generator that carry electricity to your home and mine. The water continues past the propellor through the tailrace into the river past the dam. By the way, it is not a good idea to be playing in the water right below a dam when water is released!

So What? - Here you're chastising an attempt at reusing waste and creating fertilizers, by defending a farmer's lost productivity by having to blend ingredients together.

But when I point out that America is a wasteful country (80% of it's energy is derived from fossil fuels and damaging practices), you tell me "So What", we have to start somewhere.

Farmers get a free pass because it's wasteful of their time, but America's over reliance on fossil fuels "has to start somewhere". Yes, your doesn't surprise me one bit. Tongue and cheek response. Reducing waste, has to start somewhere, too. Even if it results in some lost productivity!

FYI: So what that Elon Musk shared his patents? Warren Buffet and Bill Gates pledged to give away 90% of their wealth to charity upon death. Your Point?

One thing has literally nothing to do with the other.

As usual, when faced with someone disposing of one of your contentious, gratuitous arguments, you simply change the subject.

Why is it that you are so addicted to provoking these sort of arguments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, nonsensical response without merit. Keep trying! Dams are very harmful to the environment.

I guess we should dismantle the Hoover Dam according to your thinking.

One thing has literally nothing to do with the other.

As usual, when faced with someone disposing of one of your contentious, gratuitous arguments, you simply change the subject.

Why is it that you are so addicted to provoking these sort of arguments? Apparently, that's what gets your rocks off.

Seriously, when faced with facts, now you're name calling. I think to quote you, that's the actions of someone feeling threatened.

Vermont gets 56% of of it's electricity from Hydroelectric. Hydroelectric is NOT ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLY. It is very damaging on animal life, river patterns, etc.

Just because Vermont isn't pumping Coal into the atmosphere, doesn't mean damming rivers is less harmful to planet earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we should dismantle the Hoover Dam according to your thinking.

Considering Lake Mead created by the Hoover Dam is at record lows due to overuse of water in the Western U.S., it might be a good idea to restore the rivers natural water flow in hopes nature "recovers". The Hoover Dam has proved VERY DAMAGING to the environment.

There were also significant downsides to the project: Over 100 construction workers were killed, and the Dam had a large impact on the Colorado River, flooding wildlife habitats and changing its natural flow of the Colorado. Stevens notes this would not pass today’s environmental impact assessments.

Seriously, when faced with facts, now you're name calling. I think to quote you, that's the actions of someone feeling threatened.

Vermont gets 56% of of it's electricity from Hydroelectric. Hydroelectric is NOT ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLY. It is very damaging on animal life, river patterns, etc.

Just because Vermont isn't pumping Coal into the atmosphere, doesn't mean damming rivers is less harmful to planet earth.

I guess I had to hold your hold and walk you to that answer. It's "OK".

At a time when we need every kind of carbon free power when we can get hydro will play a vital roll even if you claim it is not "environmentally friendly'. Like it or not we will all have to make difficult choices going forward.

Recently, I was contacted by another member who like many others here is concerned and annoyed about your habitually provocative behavior towards me and others and I predicted that sooner or later you would do whatever you could do to provoke another gratuitous fight or argument with me and I noted that there were signs of this already happening in the climate change thread but that I had been ignoring you. And so, just as I predicted, here we are again.

This is clearly not about you having anything worthwhile or interesting to contribute to this thread. That much we know. It is time for you to stop with your provocations and move on.

At a time when we need every kind of carbon free power when we can get hydro will play a vital roll even if you claim it is not "environmentally friendly'. Like it or not we will all have to make difficult choices going forward.

So now you admit that every method has shortcomings and that you were wrongly chastising @Nigel for pointing out one innovation, that while costing farmers productivity, is one of may attempts to find ways to be more environmentally friendly, produce less waste, and reuse the waste we do produce. And that right now there are a lot of ideas on the table (solar and wind) with fewer drawbacks, and others like hydroelectric (damming) or fossil fuel which can create significant environmental impacts.

Understood.

Recently, I was contacted by another member who like many others here is concerned and annoyed about your habitually provocative behavior towards me and others and I predicted that sooner or later you would do whatever you could do to provoke another gratuitous fight or argument with me and I noted that there were signs of this already happening in the climate change thread but that I had been ignoring you. And so, just as I predicted, here we are again.

This is clearly not about you having anything worthwhile or interesting to contribute to this thread. That much we know. It is time for you to stop with your provocations and move on.

Sorry, the days of you baiting me to then scream "See He Insulted Me" and I'm right are over. No Sir. Not getting this thread Locked.

Your lost this argument and I kept it VERY PROFESSIONAL, STUCK TO FACTS, and Refuted you at every turn.

On the other hand, YOU RESORTED to insults and talking down to me. To which like you so often do, I reported.

Why is it that you are so addicted to provoking these sort of arguments? Apparently, that's what gets your rocks off.

Last edited:

True, but none of those things have anything to do with the carbon emissions, pollution, and consumption of fossil fuels that you alleged.
"So those "Tesla Drivers" are still contributing to Carbon Emissions, Pollution, and the consumption of fossil fuels......"

Yes, but he was talking specifically about the local Tesla supercharger facility in his neighborhood in his home state and not the entire "United States".

True, but none of those things have anything to do with the carbon emissions, pollution, and consumption of fossil fuels that you alleged.
"So those "Tesla Drivers" are still contributing to Carbon Emissions, Pollution, and the consumption of fossil fuels......"

Yes, but he was talking specifically about the local Tesla supercharger facility in his neighborhood in his home state and not the entire "United States".

Except my comment was covering the "Bigger Issue" of @Dashmellow criticizing @Nigel article and stating his method resulted in loss productivity. I retorted that those charging stations aren't eco friendly either and that 80% of energy within the United States is from nonrenewable sources. You posted a Graph Showing Vermont generates 57.8% of its electricity (applicable to @Dashmellow Vermont Comment) from Hydroelectricity. I retorted that hydroelectricity is not any more environmentally sound than other aforementioned sources of generating power. Since hydroelectric dams are very damaging to the environment for a number of reasons (no need to restate them).

Thus it's hypocritical to chastise @Nigel suggestions, which is an attempt to reuse waste, but results in loss of productivity, When the current methods deployed by the U.S. (80% non renewable sources) and Vermont (57.8 Hydroelectricity) are also not sound and without fault.

Dams cause a lot of damage. Coal is very polluting and dirty. Fracking to obtain Natural Gas is extremely destructive to the environment. Nuclear isn't with significant risk and hazards (think Chernobyl).

Wind Turbines are a good option, albeit there are complaints birds sometimes meet an untimely demise when caught in turbines. And the turbines are eyesores. Solar of course requires mounting panels on roofs or huge solar farms.

So yes, there's no perfect method. Some are still far better and less damaging than others.

Aside Note: Driving a Tesla may make one feel better, but the energy to power that Tesla is most likely generated from unsound methods. Seeing 80% of the US energy as a whole isn't renewable.

Last edited:
Yeah not just good wholesome green power in that wall socket.
The Danish capitol and its environment commitment, well the numbers tallied are highly creative, for instance they have 20 wind turbines in there, but those 20 turbines are no way near the capitol, and the municipality those turbines are in, well it too have added those 20 turbines to its green tally.
And there are also things they have omitted to count, like for instance CPH ( Copenhagen airport the biggest and #1 airport in the country ) and the local waste disposal plant ( that burn waste )

This whole green thing, is highly contaminated by politicians and so should not really be trusted in any way,,,,, but i still think people should do what they can do, just be mindful that some things like driving a EV well it might not be as green as you think it is.

I think pr capita Danes are still some of the most polluting people on earth.

FYI 75% of all offshore wind equipment in the world are shipped from Esbjerg port in Denmark, on a good day 50 trucks arrive at the port with various wind turbine parts.

So now you admit that every method has shortcomings and that you were wrongly chastising @Nigel for pointing out one innovation, that while costing farmers productivity, is one of may attempts to find ways to be more environmentally friendly, produce less waste, and reuse the waste we do produce. And that right now there are a lot of ideas on the table (solar and wind) with fewer drawbacks, and others like hydroelectric (damming) or fossil fuel which can create significant environmental impacts.

Understood.

Sorry, the days of you baiting me to then scream "See He Insulted Me" and I'm right are over. No Sir. Not getting this thread Locked.

Your lost this argument and I kept it VERY PROFESSIONAL, STUCK TO FACTS, and Refuted you at every turn.

On the other hand, YOU RESORTED to insults and talking down to me. To which like you so often do, I reported.

No, I admit to none of what you say. Don't put words in my mouth.

For a guy who has repeatedly vowed to ignore me on this forum it's remarkable how often you go out of your way to provoke gratuitous, divisive arguments with me. These repetitious, contentious posts of yours full of invectives,
self aggrandizement and antagonism, all because I mentioned that our local 16 bay Tesla charging station was nearly full of cars is a perfect example. Attacking me or Tesla because of the source of their charging power here in Vermont and then attacking hydroelectric power when your initial argument falls apart is a perfect example of you arguing for arguments sake alone, not because you have anything worthwhile to say.

Accusing me of the exact behaviors you exhibit such as "baiting" or insulting you in these threads is laughable and nobody is buying it. All of this is a pattern we see from you all too often and this one is a virtual repeat of your behavior a week ago in another thread where you were warned by @DashCamMan to knock it off after he edited out your vitriol. Of course, where most anyone else here would have ceased with the insults at that point, your response was to castigate me as a "victim" because you resented that DashCamMan was merely enforcing the rules of the forum. As I predicted, it was simply a matter of time until you would come along and provoke yet another extended round of baseless discord and here we are.

Really HonestReview, the bottom line with this kind of habitual combative behavior in thread after thread is that you are nothing but a garden variety internet troll and most of us here are getting pretty sick and tired of it.

No, I admit to none of what you say. Don't put words in my mouth.

For a guy who has repeatedly vowed to ignore me on this forum it's remarkable how often you go out of your way to provoke gratuitous, divisive arguments with me. These repetitious, contentious posts of yours full of invectives,
self aggrandizement and antagonism, all because I mentioned that our local 16 bay Tesla charging station was nearly full of cars is a perfect example. Attacking me or Tesla because of the source of their charging power here in Vermont and then attacking hydroelectric power when your initial argument falls apart is a perfect example of you arguing for arguments sake alone, not because you have anything worthwhile to say.

Accusing me of the exact behaviors you exhibit such as "baiting" or insulting you in these threads is laughable and nobody is buying it. All of this is a pattern we see from you all too often and this one is a virtual repeat of your behavior a week ago in another thread where you were warned by @DashCamMan to knock it off after he edited out your vitriol. Of course, where most anyone else here would have ceased with the insults at that point, your response was to castigate me as a "victim" because you resented that DashCamMan was merely enforcing the rules of the forum. As I predicted, it was simply a matter of time until you would come along and provoke yet another extended round of baseless discord and here we are.

Really HonestReview, the bottom line with this kind of habitual combative behavior in thread after thread is that you are nothing but a garden variety internet troll and most of us here are getting pretty sick and tired of it.

Again with the "Victim Card" when the facts don't go your way. No one attacked you. Matter of fact, it was your post not mine, that was flagged for insults.

Remember, you stated that @Nigel was wrong, and his suggested method of producing energy cost farmer productivity. Your mention of Tesla charging stations opened the door for debate. Which I politely pointed out (with facts) aren't as green or earth loving as people insinuate. Especially in the united states where 80% of energy is not from clean, renewable sources.

@Lothar tried to "come to your defense" that Vermont uses Hydroelectric Energy and is a trend setter. Not realizing this type of energy production is its own environmental nightmare. You even attempted to retort with a "Sarcastic Comment" about tearing down the Hoover Dam. Which I again showed was an environmental nightmare as well.

It's ok man. From now on, I'll stick to facts so you can't go down the same self righteous rabbit hole to get a thread locked, every time the facts disprove what "Your Think in your Own Way" to be right. But the facts clearly state otherwise.. I.E. You're Wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back