I paid to have U1000 installed professionally - rear view camera doesn't record and it is not possible to register my system on the Cloud App

Paulo99

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is also impossible to get the hotspot connection to work using the instructions provided by Thinkware. What is the best replacement for this expensive, defective system? I though I was buying a premium product.

Welcome to DCT @Paulo99

I don't have this cam but several here do, and you should get some knowledgeable assistance here soon.

I do know from what I've read that it's not as easy to set up as some others but it is a good cam despite that; you don't need to be thinking "replacement" yet.

Phil

Welcome to DCT @Paulo99

I don't have this cam but several here do, and you should get some knowledgeable assistance here soon.

I do know from what I've read that it's not as easy to set up as some others but it is a good cam despite that; you don't need to be thinking "replacement" yet.

Phil
Thanks

Yeah a few people here with extensive knowledge about this brand / model, so just hang in there and something probably happen.

sadly with these smart cameras, well often it is just more things to fail, or at least the complexity go up, not least in regard to get going and understanding all the features.
For instance a IOS update, well that often leave people with smart cameras with some problems until there is a update to the APP, and it is not like the users of google phones are much more lucky.

O and where are my manners :rolleyes: welcome to the forum Paulo99

Doesn't sound very professional leaving it broken like that :p

It is also impossible to get the hotspot connection to work using the instructions provided by Thinkware. What is the best replacement for this expensive, defective system? I though I was buying a premium product.
By chance, did you purchase your dashcam through BlackBoxMyCar or The Dashcam Store? Both have pretty good tech support. - Unfortunately, I've heard not so good things about Thinkware's tech support.

What sort of hotspot are you using for your connection?

can you be more specific as to why you can't register you camera
and what the difficulties are when trying to add a hotspot ?
(did you first add your phone as hotspot, before adding a 2nd one?)

As for the rearcam not working; when the camera is on, unplug & replug the rearcam
if that doesn't work, reset the camera with the reset button
you can also check for a FW update . even if you have the latest you could just flash it again, that somtimes works

First thing I'd do is check to make sure the plug is pushed in all the way! It's pretty tight.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

By chance, did you purchase your dashcam through BlackBoxMyCar or The Dashcam Store? Both have pretty good tech support. - Unfortunately, I've heard not so good things about Thinkware's tech support.

Purchased from Car Toys to get installation and local service. First installation looked well done. Second unit installed today with same issues.

First thing I'd do is check to make sure the plug is pushed in all the way! It's pretty tight.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Plugs were OK but rear cam problem traced to spliced cable made by Car Toys. Front view works OK on two units tried but WiFi comms lost every time powered down.

Plugs were OK but rear cam problem traced to spliced cable made by Car Toys. Front view works OK on two units tried but WiFi comms lost every time powered down.

I don't know who Car Toys is, but presumably they do enough business with them to know Thinkware dashcams and the issues that pop-up with them. Btw you might go to the websites of the retailers I mentioned above as they are the 2 biggest Thinkware providers in the U.S. - Other users posting there may be experiencing the same problem.

I would double-check to make sure your dashcam wires are connected correctly. That of course can make a huge difference.

Are you connecting to wifi at work, home, in-car? Do you get same disconnection on multiple WiFi connections?

The problem is the installer. Camera cables cannot be spliced or altered and doing that to USB power wiring often results in problems.

1- Video cables are almost always shielded; cutting the cable breaks the shielding allowing EMI interference to occur
2- Cables are cut to specific lengths to avoid resonance and harmonic issues allowing cross-channel interference.
3- A less-than-perfect connection in a cable alters it's resistance and function. Even adding right-angle adapters to ease installation often gives trouble.

If a cable isn't long enough you can either re-route it to a shorter path, get a longer cable, or if neither of these work use a different cam with a longer cable. Going over the top of the headliner usually gives a short enough path for a rear cam; as always all wirinf and cabling must be ran in such a way as to not cross in front of or otherwise interfere with airbags.

I'd be seeking a full refund and another installer.

Phil

The problem is the installer. Camera cables cannot be spliced or altered and doing that to USB power wiring often results in problems.

1- Video cables are almost always shielded; cutting the cable breaks the shielding allowing EMI interference to occur
2- Cables are cut to specific lengths to avoid resonance and harmonic issues allowing cross-channel interference.
3- A less-than-perfect connection in a cable alters it's resistance and function. Even adding right-angle adapters to ease installation often gives trouble.

If a cable isn't long enough you can either re-route it to a shorter path, get a longer cable, or if neither of these work use a different cam with a longer cable. Going over the top of the headliner usually gives a short enough path for a rear cam; as always all wirinf and cabling must be ran in such a way as to not cross in front of or otherwise interfere with airbags.

I'd be seeking a full refund and another installer.

Phil
Thanks - Car Toys and Bestbuy are the only national chains in this area and CT have most of the commercial business. I see a refund in the near future. I will be calling Thinkware tech support today on the app problems.

I am using the hotspot service on my Apple iPhone 12. Car Toys insists that the U1000 works best on Wi-Fi but it looses this connection every time the vehicle is shut down, requiring a complete repeat of the set up every time.

I am using the hotspot service on my Apple iPhone 12. Car Toys insists that the U1000 works best on Wi-Fi but it looses this connection every time the vehicle is shut down, requiring a complete repeat of the set up every time.

Why not take the camera back to the installer? Any modifications to the hardwiring kit and cables provided by the manufacturer is ill advised. The manufacturer created these cables in a manner to best work with their product.

1. Sounds like installer (if a national chain) hired someone who was little experience installing dash cams.
2. You have a faulty camera.

Both of which can easily be troubleshooted. So take it back where you had things done and have all features and functions verified in your presence by staff before leaving.

Just curious... you said you're using your iPhone hotspot. When you leave your car after turning your car off, I assume you take your iPhone with you. - - What are you using for hotspot when you take your iPhone out of range?

Just curious... you said you're using your iPhone hotspot. When you leave your car after turning your car off, I assume you take your iPhone with you. - - What are you using for hotspot when you take your iPhone out of range?
I was planning to use a wifi connection to my in-range home network when parked (to get alerts while in parking mode).

Last edited:
Okay, try this. - See attached instruction on what someone did this week with the same dashcam that you have... (Thinkware U1000)

I'm assuming you can change the name of your hotspot...

SmartSelect_20220503-130843_Gallery.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T U1000 2
H U1000 1
T U1000 2
R U1000 0
M U1000 2
Back