Nextbase 5222GW Battery concerns

Jay888

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

So I've purchased a Nextbase 522GW and followed the instructions and left it on charger for 2 hours until the blue light switched off. However to my shock and annoyance, the battery literally lasts 90 seconds before it dies.

I thought maybe I did something wrong, so I charged it again and the same thing happened, the battery is dead within 90 seconds( I actually timed it with a stopwatch).

After some googling this seems to be a common issue, surely a brand like this and the price they charge this should not be happening?!?!

FYI:

The time it takes the battery to die was after performing the below steps:

a. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
b. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
c. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
d. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
e. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
f. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
g. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Anyone have any advice, or should I just return it an buy another brand?

You're not running it off the battery alone are you? You are plugging the 12v into the car?

You're not running it off the battery alone are you? You are plugging the 12v into the car?
Hi, I've not yet installed it. I was wondering if this was the normal battery life without it being plugged in. Wanted to know if whether to try and return it for being faulty.

This is my first dash cam, so wanted to get others experience on the battery life. Thanks

Hello,

I'd recommend performing a battery test, ensuring it's charged for four hours.

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 8+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 8 minutes, the battery may have expired. Please let me know if this is the case and I can advise on the best way forward.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

I'd recommend performing a battery test, ensuring it's charged for four hours.

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 8+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 8 minutes, the battery may have expired. Please let me know if this is the case and I can advise on the best way forward.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hello Millie, Thanks for the reply, but if you see my OP you will see I mentioned I performed the test using your method already.

I can attempt to redo the test again 3rd time and see if anything changes?

One problem , as I see it, is that many dashcams sit on the shop shelf for ages and if there's one thing rechargeable batteries don't like it's not being regularly charged. If left to go completely flat then that's often that.

As I've posted many times, if only the design incorporated an easily replaceable rechargeable battery without needing to put the whole thing apart and de/re/soldering.

One problem , as I see it, is that many dashcams sit on the shop shelf for ages and if there's one thing rechargeable batteries don't like it's not being regularly charged. If left to go completely flat then that's often that.

As I've posted many times, if only the design incorporated an easily replaceable rechargeable battery without needing to put the whole thing apart and de/re/soldering.
Hi, 100% agree. I really do not understand why a brand like Nextbase can't make the process of a battery change simpler than needing to solder.

Last edited:
Hello Jay,

I posted the test to ensure that you had charged it correctly for four hours, as your original message stated you had only charged it for two.
I would appreciate you repeating the test with the durations provided. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Millie

Hello Jay,

I posted the test to ensure that you had charged it correctly for four hours, as your original message stated you had only charged it for two.
I would appreciate you repeating the test with the durations provided. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Millie
Hello Millie,

Understood, I will repeat.

Thanks.

Back