Thinkware U1000

badayuni92

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have been a long time lurker of this community. First time poster

I have just purchased the thinkware u1000, its replacing an old nextbase camera.

I'm going to be using the hardwire kit for the install so I csn make the most of thr parking modes

My question is about where to locate the camera please. The camera is going in to my 2019 audi a4, I am based in the UK

Is the best location for the camera behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side? Also how high up the windscreen should it be positioned please

Any photos you have of your installation would be really helpful. I see the connections are all on the left hand side so inevitably some cable will need to show

Thanks for any help

stick it right in the middle behind the rearview
as high as possible just under the plastic console

On My SEAT Arona the camera is mounted on the drivers side of the rear view mirror high up. There is a black, dotted bit of the windcreen high up behind the mirror and the camera is mounted on that, with the lens looking through the clear part of the windscreen lower down. I have a couple of inches of wiring coming out of the front of the headlining going down to the camera. Having the camera on the drivers side means you can see the status lights and reach the instant record button, and it's easier to remove the memory card.

Placement is a compromise.
Centered is best for left/right field of view, however, these cameras are very good and are generally wide enough to pick up the full width.

This is my Avalon, with the camera mounted to the left of the mirror (you can see the housing on the lower right). You can see my entire left fender, and only the rear half of the fender on the right side is blocked by the mirror housing.
I prefer a higher placement, as it allows for concealing the bulk of the camera behind the frit, and allows a bit more of a downward angle for better reading of license plates when the car is closer to you, and it helps to reduce glare when driving into the sun.

Some jurisdictions may also have laws prohibiting mounting devices such as cameras and radar detectors below the mirror, so be sure to check your local laws.
If you buy the radar unit for parking event detection to extend your battery life, that can be mounted behind the frit.

lp2.jpg

On My SEAT Arona the camera is mounted on the drivers side of the rear view mirror high up. There is a black, dotted bit of the windcreen high up behind the mirror and the camera is mounted on that, with the lens looking through the clear part of the windscreen lower down. I have a couple of inches of wiring coming out of the front of the headlining going down to the camera. Having the camera on the drivers side means you can see the status lights and reach the instant record button, and it's easier to remove the memory card.
"Driver's side" and the memory card... have to LOL, as mine is up against the mirror housing, but I can easily unplug the power cable if there is an SD card error and "Chatty Cathy" goes into reboot yapping mode.
But the camera slides easily to the left to release from the mount, so it's simply to change the card, though the only time I've done that is when there's been an error. I just download any video clips I want.

"Driver's side" and the memory card... have to LOL, as mine is up against the mirror housing, but I can easily unplug the power cable if there is an SD card error and "Chatty Cathy" goes into reboot yapping mode.
But the camera slides easily to the left to release from the mount, so it's simply to change the card, though the only time I've done that is when there's been an error. I just download any video clips I want.

There are pros and cons to where ever you mount it. Obviously as we drive on the proper side of the road it's easier for us to remove the memory card, but it's harder to remove the camera from it's mount as we have leave space for it to slide off sideways. I agree with you on the higher the mounting the better.:giggle::D

Back