Powering off in Parking Mode

Josh01

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently purchased an A119 V3 and the official HW3 kit to hardwire the kit into my car's fusebox.

For some reason, when the ignition is turned off and the vehicle parked, the camera loses power and dies after 3 or so minutes of recording in parking mode.
The camera records normally when the ignition is on, and does record in continuous parking mode before it dies 3 or so minutes in.

Things I've diagnosed / noticed:

-When I turn the ignition off, the camera does recognise this change and goes into parking mode
-Both electrical connections (Battery and AAC) are good as with either one disconnected the camera fails to power up at all, even with the ignition on
-12.35v is present in the fuse connected to the Battery wire, even after the 3 or so minutes of the ignition being off has passed when the camera dies.
-12.35v is present on the AAC wire when the ignition is on and not present when the ignition is turned off.
-The grounding point that I'm using is a factory grounding point and the same point I used with the multimeter to check voltages.
-I've tried 12.0v and 12.2v on the battery protection box on the HW3 kit
-I've tried both mini USB connections (the camera itself and the GPS module)
-I'm using the latest firmware as of 20/08/22.
-I'm using a SanDisk 256gb high endurance SD card.
-I'm using an add a fuse kit to make connections.
-The battery wire is connected to a 20A fuse with a 5A fuse bridging the gap to the Battery cable.
-The AAC wire is connected to a 5A fuse with a 5A fuse bridging the gap to the AAC cable.
-Car is a BMW M240i 2019.

Photos Attached.

Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• Fusebox Stock.jpg
    Fusebox Stock.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 8
  • Fusebox Installed.jpg
    Fusebox Installed.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Battery Fuse Detail.jpg
    Battery Fuse Detail.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 5
  • AAC Fuse Detail.jpg
    AAC Fuse Detail.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Fuse Diagram 1.jpg
    Fuse Diagram 1.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Fuse Diagram 2.jpg
    Fuse Diagram 2.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FIles (with duration details).png
    FIles (with duration details).png
    295.4 KB · Views: 9
When you say that it dies, presumably it actually shuts down normally with the normal power off sound?

When you say that it dies, presumably it actually shuts down normally with the normal power off sound?
I don't believe so - there's no VIOFO logo, all that happens is the red recording LED turns off and the recording stops

For some reason, when the ignition is turned off and the vehicle parked, the camera loses power and dies after 3 or so minutes of recording in parking mode.
The camera records normally when the ignition is on, and does record in continuous parking mode before it dies 3 or so minutes in.
Try 11.8V setting on the kit. Be sure to "reboot" (turn ignition off/on) the kit after changing the cutoff.

I don't believe so - there's no VIOFO logo, all that happens is the red recording LED turns off and the recording stops
You don't get a logo on power down.

The last files are playable, not corrupted?
And if you check the little red LED inside the HK3, does that extinguish?

Try 11.8V setting on the kit. Be sure to "reboot" (turn ignition off/on) the kit after changing the cutoff.
I don't really want the battery to get that low even if it does fix the problem. I also don't think the 12.0v it's currently set to is a problem as i'm measuring 12.35v from the fuses.

You don't get a logo on power down.

The last files are playable, not corrupted?
And if you check the little red LED inside the HK3, does that extinguish?
Correct.

The files are not corrupted, just cut short.
Do you mean the red LED on the camera itself, i'm not aware of an LED on the hardwiring kit?

Inside the converter box is a red led light. Should always be on unless your battery has reached the low voltage cutoff. You can see the light through the vent slots.

Inside the converter box is a red led light. Should always be on unless your battery has reached the low voltage cutoff. You can see the light through the vent slots.
Just checked:

- No Light on HK3 with ignition off
- Light visible on HK3 when ignition is turned on (and camera powers up)
- Lights on HK3 and camera last around 3 minutes after ignition is turned off)
- Getting 12.43V on fusebox even after both lights turn off

Just checked:

- No Light on HK3 with ignition off
- Light visible on HK3 when ignition is turned on (and camera powers up)
- Lights on HK3 and camera last around 3 minutes after ignition is turned off)
I would test with the 11.8 setting, just to see if the camera remains on longer than 3 minutes. Also, the kit cuts power 90 seconds after it first senses voltage below the set point. Do you think maybe it's actually 90 seconds and not 3 minutes?

I would test with the 11.8 setting, just to see if the camera remains on longer than 3 minutes. Also, the kit cuts power 90 seconds after it first senses voltage below the set point. Do you think maybe it's actually 90 seconds and not 3 minutes?
Ok, I'll test on 11.8 and time it from ignition off.

Do you think maybe it's actually 90 seconds and not 3 minutes?
It says 3:35 in the file properties image.
Josh, Is this consistent or does it vary by eg 30 seconds?

It says 3:35 in the file properties image.
Josh, Is this consistent or does it vary by eg 30 seconds?
it varies by up to a minute or so. It might be timed from when the car is locked rather than from when ignition is turned off?

This is the confusing bit!

The rest just seems like the camera is losing power after the vehicle decides you have left.

Can you confirm that you have power on the power cable (or fuse it is connected to) after the HK3/camera is off.
You may need to check without opening the car doors, and if you have keyless access, then check without bringing the key!

The other thing to check is that the ground wire is at zero when the camera is off, I expect it is, but I'm not sure that you are using the ground wire as ground for the multimeter?

Ok, I'll test on 11.8 and time it from ignition off.
ok, still the same problem when set to 11.8v.

The camera and lights stayed on for 10 minutes with the ignition off, but the car door was open for the first 6.5 minutes, so not having the car locked means the camera works (not a suitable solution haha)

This is the confusing bit!

The rest just seems like the camera is losing power after the vehicle decides you have left.

Can you confirm that you have power on the power cable (or fuse it is connected to) after the HK3/camera is off.
You may need to check without opening the car doors, and if you have keyless access, then check without bringing the key!

The other thing to check is that the ground wire is at zero when the camera is off, I expect it is, but I'm not sure that you are using the ground wire as ground for the multimeter?
Yeah, even after the camera and hardware kit has died, i still have power going to fuse that is connected to the battery cable.
The grounding point i'm using is a factory grounding point, a bolt connected to a metal plate. I'm taking measurements from the left side of the fuse (power flowing left to right with the output cable on the opposite side) to the metal plate when using the multimeter.

So the camera stayed on about 7 minutes longer at 11.8V setting?

Are you able to continuously measure the voltage at the fuse your using for the BATT cable immediately after you turn off the car and see how much the voltage drops over those 3 minutes (or however long the camera stays on for)?

So the camera stayed on about 7 minutes longer at 11.8V setting?

Are you able to continuously measure the voltage at the fuse your using for the BATT cable immediately after you turn off the car and see how much the voltage drops over those 3 minutes (or however long the camera stays on for)?
it did stay on longer, but (i believe) only because the car was unlocked. Once the car was locked it lasted 3 minutes again. Battery voltage stayed at 12.43v across the 10 minutes

*NOW WORKING*

So it turns out the fuse I tapped into (door locks) loses power 3 minutes after the car is locked.
When the car is unlocked it always has 12v, which is why every time I measured it there was power since the car has to be unlocked for me to get to the fuse.

Was able to find a fuse (#161, headlights) that is powered when the ignition is off and the car is locked.

Thanks for all the help :)

In 2020 i had issues testing a camera, if the car was parked for over 18 hours the camera would not come on for the following drive, but do a 3 minute drive to the shop with no camera, and it would come on for the drive home and all other drives that same day.
Park for less then 18 hours and the problem was not there.
Another tester also experienced the same.
I tried all kinds of stuff to get it to work but park for more than 18 hours ( just using parking guard for 1 hour on the timer ) and the camera would fail like that.
The solution was to change the factory battery in my 2012 car, even if it did not really display any aging signs or other issues a old battery can do, but ! whatever it was the new battery fixed the problem for the next 2 years or so of testing. ( also using longer parking guard duration's )

I am still using the same fuses like back then, and have tested other cameras parking guard features and it have all been good.

IF ! you are seeing round numbers, like 1 minute on the dot or like here 3 minutes, then it is probably something in the car and its more or less smart wiring.

Back