Viofo A119 - Hardwire to record only when vehicle running

ElectricBullet

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a 2006 GMC Yukon XL 2500. Because of the age, the 12v port and the cigarette port are both connected to the battery, not with the ignition, so I can't plug the camera into either of those ports, as it would drain the battery.

I'm looking at the Viofo A119, and it has the HK3 hardwiring kit, but it looks like that kit is mainly for parking mode, to drain the battery and record while the vehicle is off.

I don't think I need parking mode, so I just want to hardwire to the fuse box and connect to an ignition (vehicle running) fuse to power the camera.

Am I able to connect just the yellow ACC cable and the ground, then have the camera run that way? Or would I need to connect the always-on power as well, then just set the voltage cutoff switch to the highest setting?

Again, I don't want the camera running with the vehicle off.

Thanks.

Am I able to connect just the yellow ACC cable and the ground, then have the camera run that way?
No.

You can either:

Connect ACC and BAT to a single switched fuse, plus GND to an earth point. (You can crimp the two wires into a single wire tap crimp connector.)

or

Connect ACC to switched, BAT to permanent, plus GND to an earth point.

The advantage of using switched and permanent is that when you turn the ignition off, if parking mode is disabled (default) then it will shut down as though the power is turned off, but you have the option to turn it back on using the camera power button, if for example you park in a supermarket car park and want it recording for half an hour. It will turn off if the battery loses voltage, so is safe to use, and you also have the option of enabling parking mode should you find yourself, for example in a hotel carpark.

You can also just buy the VIOFO HK2 2-wire kit if you’re sure you don’t want parking mode. You connect the red wire to an accessory fuse.

Back