Vantrue E1 initial review

Skylar132

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 PRO 2CH
Note: this is my first time reviewing any dash cam so if there are any issues or misinformation feel free to correct me! And thank you to vantrue for this opportunity.

First Impressions:

I was aware that this was a mini dash cam but was surprised at just how small it was at only 1.54 inches. I do like the mount for the camera. It's a 3M tape mount rather than the usual suction cup that came with older vantrue cameras which is an improvement. Although I have two minor gripes, there is a slight vibration in the recorded video but this is to be expected with any dash cam that isn’t directly attached to the windscreen, also make sure you push the camera the full way into the mount to make a connection. The cable that comes with the camera is a USB-C car charger, although it does have an extra USB port which I like and would like to see from other manufacturers. There is also the bluetooth remote button which I honestly love and would love to see from more manufacturers.

Video Quality:
I do have to say I do really like the video quality coming from the E1, It has the options to record at:
2562x1944p 30fps
1440P 30fps HDR
1440P 30fps
1080p 30fps HDR
1080p 60fps
1080p 30fps

It's comparable to the video off my A119. You can pick out license plates in some scenarios but not others. I was really happy with night video quality with HDR turned on as it has a much better HDR than my A119 which would just sort of flicker (This was because it wasn’t a manufacturer added feature i presume) Although like all dash cams, its next to impossible to read license plates at night. But what is important is you can see what's going on even in areas without street lighting. Although I do think the colours from the E1 are slightly dull compared to my 522GW or A119.

Voice Control: This was one area I was rather eager to test out as I have never had any voice control other than wrestling to get Siri to work. I am honestly surprised how well the voice controls work even with my Northern Irish accent. You can turn the controls off if you don’t like them but I personally have found them to be convenient. With voice controls you can turn on/off wifi, turn on/off the microphone, start/stop recording, take a photo or lock the video. I personally use the wifi commands the most for when I need to change settings or view a video at the side of the road.

Wifi: On the topic of wifi, I was somewhat nervous to test it after seeing the reviews for the app on the app store but I was pleasantly surprised, everything went very smoothly, you can view recorded videos from the camera, see a live view, take a photo or change the settings. The settings are very good other than the fact I’ve had issues with the camera not displaying a number plate, I think this is only an issue with my unit because I haven’t heard any other complaints of this, it's not a massive issue anyway so I’m not fussed. Something I really liked was the options for the warnings, you can toggle on and off individual reminders and it has an “abrupt stop recording warning” where you are given an audible warning message, this is also the case with the format warning when your memory card needs formatted. I have mine all set to off other than the abrupt recording stop, format warning and the power up sound.

Parking Mode: This is an area I cannot really comment on right now, initially I was sent the E1 without the hardwiring kit so I just put it in the car as is. The next day a crash happened *directly* in front of my car while I went into the shop so I pulled the plug and bought the hardwiring kit and fitted it last night, will include parking mode performance in my update.

Final Thoughts: I honestly liked this camera so much that it’s now replaced my A119 and I have the E1 hardwired for the parking mode. I hope it continues to impress me. As of right now I can't recommend it on the terms of reliability as I only received this camera last week but I will have an update in a month's time. Thanks for reading my first review, if I missed anything I am sorry feel free to correct or add something in below.

Note: All samples are recorded at 1440p with HDR ON and polarizing filter attached
Daylight Video Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Okq15iEgdrmlWvBpwJGlhKBHoeQkErH1/view?usp=sharing
Nighttime video sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LnQDg9KXLx3TKGiGoJHN5x1SHw-eZ0DF/view?usp=sharing

Photos of Camera:
1666479022671.png
1666479049525.png
1666479087063.png1666479111792.png
1666479146316.png

Attachments

• 1666479136694.png
    1666479136694.png
    273.5 KB · Views: 4
Nice.
How do you like its mounting system ? I have a E2 on the way for testing and from the onset this is one of my concerns,,,,,, being biassed towards the traditional wedge cameras way of mounting.

O and also the hard wire kit which seem to drop to very low cut off voltages and not having much choice,,,, i do hope there are a timer function to cut things short then.
Normally i use 12.2 V cut off, and if there use a 3 hour timer cut off.

The HWK has the option for 12v or 11.2v cutoff, i find the mounting system to be okay, just make sure its all the way pushed in so the pins make contact. There is a slight shake to the video but my a119 had this even with a foam wedge

Nice.
How do you like its mounting system ? I have a E2 on the way for testing and from the onset this is one of my concerns,,,,,, being biassed towards the traditional wedge cameras way of mounting.

O and also the hard wire kit which seem to drop to very low cut off voltages and not having much choice,,,, i do hope there are a timer function to cut things short then.
Vantrue Element 1 has a compact design and a 1.54” screen. It uses a magnetic-assist mount, making the camera more stable on the windshield. With a robust build and clever magnetic adhesive mount system, it can be mounted neatly behind your rear view mirror with zero distractions. Easy to install and use.

Vantrue E1 smart dash cam features on its voice command, which meets all your video/photo needs while driving.

Voice Assistant: The default sensitivity is Standard. Voice commands can be recognized after the option is turned on. You can choose low sensitivity /high sensitivity/standard/off.

Hands-Free Voice Commands Includes:
  • Video Start (start recording)
  • Take Photo
  • Lock Video (emergency file save)
  • Turn Off Audio (microphone off)
  • Turn On Audio (microphone on)
  • Turn Off Screen
  • Turn On Screen
  • Turn On Wi-Fi
  • Turn Off Wi-Fi

For the WiFi Settings: The default setting is Off. After WiFi is enabled, mobile phones can connect to WiFi and operate the dashcam through mobile phone interfaces.

Additional Features (As I Value/Use Them):
1. GPS Connection: Besides automatically setting the camera's date and time this feature lets you show your location and speed on the camera and your videos. It's a neat feature and the speed measurement seems to be accurate.
2. Voice Command: Lets you verbally control the camera (Take Photo, Video Start, Turn on Audio, Turn off Audio, Turn on Screen, Turn off Screen, Turn on Wi-Fi, Turn off Wi-Fi, Lock the Video). Again a neat feature that's handy at times.
3. Car Charger: Has an 11.5ft cable if you want to route the cable so it's out of site. A nice extra is it has a USB port on the charger so you can connect a second device to USB power using the car's lighter.
4. Format Card Reminder: I routinely forget to do this even though every camera I've owned says to do it every so often to avoid issues. Nice to have a reminder.
5. Wireless Connection: Let's you use your phone to control the camera, display it's live view and download files. Since I normally use my phone for mapping I doubt I'll routinely use this, but perhaps I might have a passenger use their phone or maybe use an old phone.
6. Wireless Remote - Gives you some remote control using a small remote device (Turn off Audio, Turn on Audio, Lock the Video). I doubt I'll use this much since the voice control lets you do this and more.

Sitting here waiting for postman to drop off E2 dashcam

Additional Features (As I Value/Use Them):
1. GPS Connection: Besides automatically setting the camera's date and time this feature lets you show your location and speed on the camera and your videos. It's a neat feature and the speed measurement seems to be accurate.
2. Voice Command: Lets you verbally control the camera (Take Photo, Video Start, Turn on Audio, Turn off Audio, Turn on Screen, Turn off Screen, Turn on Wi-Fi, Turn off Wi-Fi, Lock the Video). Again a neat feature that's handy at times.
3. Car Charger: Has an 11.5ft cable if you want to route the cable so it's out of site. A nice extra is it has a USB port on the charger so you can connect a second device to USB power using the car's lighter.
4. Format Card Reminder: I routinely forget to do this even though every camera I've owned says to do it every so often to avoid issues. Nice to have a reminder.
5. Wireless Connection: Let's you use your phone to control the camera, display it's live view and download files. Since I normally use my phone for mapping I doubt I'll routinely use this, but perhaps I might have a passenger use their phone or maybe use an old phone.
6. Wireless Remote - Gives you some remote control using a small remote device (Turn off Audio, Turn on Audio, Lock the Video). I doubt I'll use this much since the voice control lets you do this and more.

1: For sure GPS are a must have, a select few dont want to use it or at least have data embedded in video, i think in fear of incriminating them self, a accurate speed can be obtained from any video recorded in a vehicle at least if the camera are steady.
2: I do use voice command but it is rare, most often on my phone if i want to navigate anywhere, but i have to press a button first for it to work on the phone.
3: That is very nice for most people, as a tester i have 7 USB ports to tap into ( a few 1 A but otherwise 2 A or +2 A ) and i have 2 X 3 12 V sockets in my glove box, actually the in dash socket i have not used for 5 years or something like that.
4: I have never tried that before, dont think it have been a option in systems i have tested, i think it could be nice to have. ( i think this format the whole memory card, could be a problem if you have something you want to save when you get the MSG to save )
5: wifi i am a hater of in any way,,,,,,, BUT ! I must also admit my eyes are old and tired, so can not read small dashcam screen without reading glasses, so using wifi and large Phone screen are very nice, i would never use on the go to share footage.
6: The wireless / BT remote seem to be default with the E2 system, that is very nice indeed, i just wish the CPL was also default, most people should use CPL

Nice.

How to Install the Vantrue E1 to Windshield (Comes with an Electrostatic Sticker)​

Vantrue E1's Shell Fireproof Test​

It turns out that it will not spontaneously combust, and won't be the accelerant to let the dash cam is on fire when something unexpected happens.

The static stickers are very nice for dashcams, i just can not use them where i install dashcams as it is on the share area on top of windscreen, and it is printed / baked on inside of glass and so uneven, so dont think static film will work there.
But on plain glass surface or my living room window where i also test cameras, it work very good.

Non flammable plastics are good, but can also be problematic due to flame inhibitor chemicals ( TBBPA ) in it, this chemical are problematic can give you cancer.
Well it can be a problem if you are a firefighter, but then again there are many other unhealthy things for firefighters to be careful off, other plastics when burning give off acids ASO, and of course there are all the nasty things that can burn.
I am glad i am skilled firefighter / smoke diver, so i am aware of these things.

Sitting here waiting for postman to drop off E2 dashcam

1: For sure GPS are a must have, a select few dont want to use it or at least have data embedded in video, i think in fear of incriminating them self, a accurate speed can be obtained from any video recorded in a vehicle at least if the camera are steady.
2: I do use voice command but it is rare, most often on my phone if i want to navigate anywhere, but i have to press a button first for it to work on the phone.
3: That is very nice for most people, as a tester i have 7 USB ports to tap into ( a few 1 A but otherwise 2 A or +2 A ) and i have 2 X 3 12 V sockets in my glove box, actually the in dash socket i have not used for 5 years or something like that.
4: I have never tried that before, dont think it have been a option in systems i have tested, i think it could be nice to have. ( i think this format the whole memory card, could be a problem if you have something you want to save when you get the MSG to save )
5: wifi i am a hater of in any way,,,,,,, BUT ! I must also admit my eyes are old and tired, so can not read small dashcam screen without reading glasses, so using wifi and large Phone screen are very nice, i would never use on the go to share footage.
6: The wireless / BT remote seem to be default with the E2 system, that is very nice indeed, i just wish the CPL was also default, most people should use CPL
Yes, definitely! The GPS function is one of the important functions of the dash cam. GPS is enabled by default, and the camera receives GPS signals through the GPS mount. It can automatically correct the time and date in your area, recording the location where the video was taken and the speed of the car at the time.
The default setting is standard sensitivity. Voice recognition has options such as low sensitivity/standard/high sensitivity/off. You can control the camera with voice commands. It would help with the hands-free features and helps you control the dash cam when driving.

Here's why we use Electrostatic Sticker:
  1. Easy to install, it just takes several minutes to stick.
  2. This is static adsorption that can be used on car windows windshield labels, such as an annual inspection sticker.
  3. Easy to tear, easy to paste, no trace to leave on a car.
  4. Environmental, don't need to wash when replacing it.
However, we would like to get any feedback of that any material is more useful.
The static stickers are very nice for dashcams, i just can not use them where i install dashcams as it is on the share area on top of windscreen, and it is printed / baked on inside of glass and so uneven, so dont think static film will work there.
But on plain glass surface or my living room window where i also test cameras, it work very good.

Non flammable plastics are good, but can also be problematic due to flame inhibitor chemicals ( TBBPA ) in it, this chemical are problematic can give you cancer.
Well it can be a problem if you are a firefighter, but then again there are many other unhealthy things for firefighters to be careful off, other plastics when burning give off acids ASO, and of course there are all the nasty things that can burn.
I am glad i am skilled firefighter / smoke diver, so i am aware of these things.

It's so beneficial insights that this kind of non flammable plastics may result to cancer. I think it's really important for raw material producers get more enviromental and humanistic awareness into producing. And also we manufacturers should take more consideration into account for better products.
I'll let my team know that and wish we can do it better!

Vantrue E1 Lite Dash Cam Firmware Update​

• Release time: 2023-04-23 18:35:16
  • Version: VT-ECD192
  • File size: 4.28M
  • Update note:
1. Added HDR timer function;
2. Added pre-recording(burffered parking mode) function;
3. Added WIFI always-on function;
4. Updated display screen driver to resolve distortion issue on high-temperature screens.

Back