VIOFO A139 Pro - Testing / Review Info

rcg530

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue, Thinkware, VIOFO, Vantrue, Blueskysea, FineVu
I've been a tester of the VIOFO A139 Pro 3-channel dash camera for the past couple of months.

A139 Pro Features

The A139 Pro will be offered in a 1, 2 or 3-channel configuration. If you currently have a VIOFO A139 dash camera and want to upgrade to a A139 Pro, you can purchase the A139 Pro 1-channel version and swap out the front camera. The interior and rear cameras and cables are the same in both the original A139 and the A139 Pro.

The front camera's image sensor has been updated to the Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 1/1.8" 8.29 MP image sensor. Image quality seems quite good with this new image sensor, but I'm still testing it and I'll be testing nighttime video recording soon. HDR recording is possible with any video resolution using 30fps or 24fps. There is an On/Off toggle switch setting for the front camera HDR feature. There is no "HDR Timer" feature as in the A119 Mini dash camera since the A119 Mini's HDR feature is targeted for nighttime use.

viofo_a139_pro_features.jpg

Video Resolution Options

The 3-channel configuration has three video resolution options:
  • 4K 2160P 24fps (Front) + 1080P 24fps (Interior) + 1080P 24fps (Rear)
  • 4K 1600P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior) + 1080P 30fps (Rear)
  • 2K 1440P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior) + 1080P 30fps (Rear)
The 2-channel configuration (Front + Interior) or (Front + Rear) has four resolution options:
  • 4K 2160P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior or Rear)
  • 4K 1600P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior or Rear)
  • 2K 1440P 60fps (Front) [No HDR] + 1080P 30fps (Interior or Rear)
  • 2K 1440P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior or Rear)
The 1-channel configuration (front only) has four resolution options:
  • 4K 2160P 30fps (Front)
  • 4K 1600P 30fps (Front)
  • 2K 1440P 60fps (Front) [No HDR]
  • 2K 1440P 30fps (Front)
Parking Mode - Video Resolutions

All three parking modes (Auto Event Detection, Time-Lapse and Low Bitrate) create front camera video files with 2K 1440P 30FPS video resolution. The physical MP4 video file that time-lapse video content is written into has its FPS value set at 30 FPS, but the video content playback speed is the selected 1/2/3/5/10 FPS speed.

Parking Mode - Video Bitrate
  • 3-Channel - Normal Mode: Bitrate = Maximum / Resolution = 4K 2160P 24FPS (front) + 1080P 24FPS (interior) + 1080P 24FPS (rear)
    • Auto Event Detection
      • 2560x1440 30FPS 12.06 Mbps (front) + 1080P 30FPS 9.66 Mbps (interior) + 1080P 30FPS 9.66 Mbps (rear)
    • Time-Lapse - 10 FPS selected
      • 2560x1440 30FPS 26.40 Mbps (front) + 1080P 30FPS 16.00 Mbps (interior) + 1080P 30FPS 16.00 Mbps (rear)
    • Low Bitrate
      • 2560x1440 30FPS 4.06 Mbps (front) + 1080P 30FPS 3.90 Mbps (interior) + 1080P 30FPS 3.90 Mbps (rear)
MicroSD card filesystem status – Supercapacitor vs Power Button

During my testing, I would power down the A139 Pro dash camera by removing the 12-volt power being supplied to the HK3-C hardwire adapter which invokes the supercapacitor based power down of the dash camera. The A139 Pro would power down, I would remove the microSD card and then attempt to mount the microSD card on my Windows 10 laptop. Windows 10 would report "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it" as it would attempt to mount the microSD's file system. I would run the "Repair drive" operation and no errors were found. The video files on the microSD were always functional/viewable.

1667705254047.png 1667705272176.png 1667705291825.png

I found that when I would power down the A139 Pro by long pressing the power button, the microSD card's file system would mount successfully (no error prompt) on my Windows 10 laptop. I presented my findings to VIOFO and I was told that the power storage capacity of the supercapacitor in the A139 Pro may (at times) not be quite enough to allow the A139 Pro to dismount the file system on the microSD card. During the power down process, the video files are first closed and then it dismounts the microSD card's file system. If the microSD card's file system is not cleanly dismounted, that's when the error prompt is presented when mounting it on a Windows 10 computer (and likely others). I just thought I would mention this in case you observe this issue as well.

To Be Continued...

I'm still testing the A139 Pro. I'll post more info when available and allowed by VIOFO. I hope to have a review video out in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
A139 Pro - Power Consumption Test Results

The A139 Pro is a power-hungry dash camera. I recently spent good portion of a day testing the A139 Pro in its various modes of operation (some 2-channel configurations and some 3-channel configurations). Parking mode power consumption is similar to the power consumption during normal recording modes. Based on my test results, the A139 Pro 3-channel may only last 8 to 9 hours with the 6000 mAh / 76.8 Wh dash camera battery packs on the market. The higher capacity BlackboxMyCar PowerCell 8 7500 mAh / 96 Wh dash camera battery pack should be able to power the A139 Pro 3-channel for 10 to 11 hours. If you intend on using the A139 Pro 3-channel for long parking mode sessions, you may need to have the base dash camera battery pack plus a second or third expansion battery pack to provide power for your parking needs.

I do not have the previous generation A139 3-channel dash camera, so I cannot gather power consumption data for the A139 3-channel to compare it with the A139 Pro 3-channel power consumption. In my opinion, powering the A139 Pro 3-channel configuration with the HK3-C hardwire kit using fuse taps to source power from your vehicle's fuse box would not be recommended if you're intending on getting a decent amount of parking mode recording time.

* Updated 11-05-2022 20:19 GMT-7: Retested with v1.0_1105 firmware & tested ALL camera combinations :) *
* Updated 11-16-2022 10:55 GMT-8: Added a note that the "Infrared LED" setting was "On" while testing with the interior infrared camera *

3-Channel Power Consumption

viofo_a139_pro_power_consumption_3ch_10_1105_20221105.jpg viofo_a139_pro_3ch_runtimes.jpg

2-Channel (Front + Interior) Power Consumption

viofo_a139_pro_power_consumption_2ch_fi_10_1105_20221105.jpg viofo_a139_pro_2ch_fi_runtimes.jpg

2-Channel (Front + Rear) Power Consumption

viofo_a139_pro_power_consumption_2ch_fr_10_1105_20221105.jpgviofo_a139_pro_2ch_fr_runtimes.jpg

1-Channel (Front) Power Consumption

viofo_a139_pro_power_consumption_1ch_10_1105_20221105.jpg viofo_a139_pro_1ch_runtimes.jpg

You may notice that I added two columns to my power consumption spreadsheet showing the Max and Avg Watt values converted to 5-volt amp values. I noticed that the Watt values were quite high for some of the normal mode operations (Wi-Fi on with Live View active). The existing versions of the HK3-C and HK4 hardwire kits have a max power output rating of 5-volts / 2 Amps. The A139 Pro in a 3-channel configuration has power demands (calculated from Watt values) exceeding the 5V/2A max of the HK3-C and HK4 hardwire kits. At no time during my testing did I observe any odd/wrong behavior that might be attributed to a power starvation situation. I raised my concerns with VIOFO. I was told an updated HK3-C will be released in the near future that addresses this concern. The 12-volt cigarette/power port adapter has a max power output rating of 5V/3A, so it should be able to supply the proper amount of power to the A139 Pro in all modes of operation.

A139 Pro - Case Temps

The A139 Pro's front camera case can get a bit warm while the front camera is configured to record 4K 2160P 24fps or 4K 1600P 30fps video. The outdoor temperatures in my location have tapered off a bit over the past several weeks. Most of my testing was with outside temps in the 70F/21.1C to 80F/26.6C range. During today's test trip, outside temps were in the mid 50F/10C range.

Today, the upper portion of the A139 Pro front camera case had temps in 155F/68.3C range. The area around the buttons was a bit warm to the touch with temps in the 115F/46.1C range.

1667634219685.png

Last edited:
Right on Robert,
How do we get Dash Cam Talk to make a separate category for the A139 Pro?
@DashCamMan
@administrator
Do we just say his name three times in the mirror, and he will magically appear? lol
-Chuck
Probably better to keep both in the same forum, A139 + A139 Pro, the 2 are very similar apart from the sensor.

You just need to say his name once: @DashCamMan ;)

Probably better to keep both in the same forum, A139 + A139 Pro, the 2 are very similar apart from the sensor.

You just need to say his name once: @DashCamMan ;)
Given this is a completely different sensor, it deserves it's own forum...Just like the A129 and all it's other variants have.

Daytime HDR Enabled / HDR Disabled - Screenshots

A139 Pro Front - FW v1.0_1101 - 4K 2160P 24 FPS - HDR Enabled Screenshot

1667603089417.png

A139 Pro Front - FW v1.0_1101 - 4K 2160P 24 FPS - HDR Disabled Screenshot

1667603176694.png

A119 Mini - FW v1.1_20221017 - 2K 1440P 30FPS - HDR Enabled Screenshot

1667603533241.png

A119 Mini - FW v1.1_20221017 - 2K 1440P 30FPS - HDR Disabled Screenshot (status line still shows HDR in optional car license plate text field)

1667603703496.png

I added power consumption test results and other observations in post #2

Reactions: Mtz
I added power consumption test results and other observations in post #2
Most people running in 2CH mode will probably only be using the front/rear camera combo rather than front/interior.
I'm curious as to if that changes anything with power consumption results and maximum bitrates.

Reactions: Mtz
If you are not doing ride share i see no reason to run a interior camera, even if it can be useful if one or more claim something in this regard, like phone use.
BUT ! A claim are just a claim, i think you need proof to actually get to pay for something.

And what others might claim in regard to phone use, probably erratic / unsafe driving / sudden lane change, well your front camera alone will prove that you are rock steady in your lane up until the event.
And if they claim you was talking on the phone, well your microphone recording no such talking will take care of that.

In a situation like that, i think it would be a good idea to get the other part to more and more exactly tell about their fraudulent claim, CUZ if you are not a politician or a hard core lying person, quickly whipping up a elaborate lie are hard.
That is why it is advised that if you are to lie, make it simple.

Also I expect the 3CH version to not be so used so the power consumption will be not so critical. Also the HK4 have a low voltage cut which is working OK. The problem for a car battery is not to go down to 11.8V sometimes, but to go down at that 11.8V value daily. Viofo will sell the correct power devices for A139 Pro and is not their business what batteries have the users and if are enough for what they want.

At no time during my testing did I observe any odd/wrong behavior that might be attributed to a power starvation situation. I raised my concerns with VIOFO. I was told an updated HK3-C will be released in the near future that addresses this concern.
My A139 Pro was used with one of the first versions of HK4 and I had no problems. The new HK4 will have the QC label in green color. Old versions of HK4 are with that label in blue color.
During the power down process, the video files are first closed and then it dismounts the microSD card's file system. If the microSD card's file system is not cleanly dismounted, that's when the error prompt is presented when mounting it on a Windows 10 computer (and likely others).
Also the A129 Pro have this behavior, but never created problems for the cards.
Given this is a completely different sensor, it deserves it's own forum...Just like the A129 and all it's other variants have
I agree that A129 Pro need a different subforum area just because it is with a Starvis 2 brand new type of 4K CMOS.
A119 Mini - FW v1.1_20221017 - 2K 1440P 30FPS - HDR Disabled Screenshot (status line still shows HDR in optional car license plate text field)
You forgot to update the text field for the HDR on. I know which snapshot is with HDR but most of the people doesn't know. Based on actual experience with testings of the HDR on A139P maybe Viofo will improve the HDR on A119 Mini too. And maybe A119V3.
The 11.04 beta firmware will show better HDR at night, at least regarding the over-exposure.
  • 4K 2160P 24fps (Front) + 1080P 24fps (Interior) + 1080P 24fps (Rear)
  • 4K 1600P 30fps (Front) + 1080P 30fps (Interior) + 1080P 30fps (Rear)
In this way hope people will be forced to understand that 3840x1600 is better than 3840x2160.
Just the 1600p definition is not correct for a 3840x2160 and is nice I see you used 4K 1600p and not just 1600p which is some 2K and not 4K.

This is one snapshot zoomed at 5X with an EU car license plate during night and HDR On at estimated total speed of 200km/h. My speed was a fixed speed of 100km/h.

a139-pro-4k-hdr-night-dashcam-speed-100-kmph-total-speed-200-kmph-zoom-5x-png.62283

rather poor policing

Danish police are also not too good.
BUT it is not like they write out tickets a lot, they get paid no matter what, so it is more of the opposite, either too lazy police or too few police.
But there have been cases of police coming up with laws of their own on video,,,, and getting away with that scot free.

Police here can now confiscate and sell your car, but you also have to go way beyond normal traffic infractions, whether or not this work remain to be seen, but the year or so this have been a possibility about 1200 cars have been taken.
Most famous are probably the Norwegian guy that went to Germany to buy a mice Lamborghini sports car, then driving home he opened it way up on a Danish road,,,,, so he had to get on the ferry to Norway without hit new car.

But minor traffic infractions like not using your car light correct, it not being on or use of fog lights with no fog around, or a ton of crap on your windscreen, when according to law just a stupid little thing dangling from your mirror are not okay.
Local police TV shows have proven this a few times, so guy get pulled over for something, but several other offenses in plain view go unmentioned.

I have tried to turn in serious traffic violations in plain daytime video, so nothing to do but watch video, and go do something about it,,,,,, i am not going to waste my time doing that again.

I have the 3ch a139 so curious about this camera. Will follow to see how it works out. What’s the max size card this will take? I think I use a 256gb card right now in mine. I wish the IR for the interior camera was stronger. When reviewing footage it seems like the IR is barely noticeably to useless.

256 GB will probably also be it for this new model.

I had no problems with the IR light and the interior camera testing the A139, maybe due to the fact i drive a puny little car any American wouldn't even see hos worst enemy drive in.

Have you tried to film the interior camera in night to see in all IR emitters are on ? could be one / some are busted / faulty.

256 GB will probably also be it for this new model.

I had no problems with the IR light and the interior camera testing the A139, maybe due to the fact i drive a puny little car any American wouldn't even see hos worst enemy drive in.

Have you tried to film the interior camera in night to see in all IR emitters are on ? could be one / some are busted / faulty.
During the day the colors are off on black things like the seatbelt so appears to be working but at night it’s still quite dark.

Yes the A139 cabin camera dont seem to have a active IR cut filter like i prefer but rarely seen in dashcams,, so have this color issue in the daytime.
But i think the IR light should only come on at night, pointing your phone camera at the interior camera you should be able to see the IR emitters if they are on

As i recall in the menu there are 3 options for the IR light, auto / on / off, i always had mine on auto.

Since the interior camera have colors that are off in the daytime, for sure you have not switched the 2 remote cameras around, which i think are possible to do ( been a while since i last handled the A139 )

Most people running in 2CH mode will probably only be using the front/rear camera combo rather than front/interior.
I'm curious as to if that changes anything with power consumption results and maximum bitrates.
I pulled the camera from my car to test the 2-channel (Front + Rear) power consumption tests. The rear camera requires less power than the interior (no infrared LEDs to power). The video bitrates look the same in normal recording mode, but they are different in parking mode. I've updated post #2 with an updated spreadsheet and I included a dash camera battery pack runtime estimation for the 2-channel Front+Rear configuration.

Last edited:
I expect to be much more people with Front + Rear instead Front + Interior. Much more.
I agree. My initial power consumption tests were targeting the most power demanding configuration(s) of the A139 Pro. I've now added the Front+Rear power consumption data to my spreadsheet.

Back