FineVu GX1000 Test / Review RCG

rcg530

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue, Thinkware, VIOFO, Vantrue, Blueskysea, FineVu
I started my pre-review checks of the two FineVu GX1000 dash cameras that I was sent by Finedigital. I started gathering power consumption data for the GX1000 and noticed a few issues with the four available parking modes. Before that, I noticed that FineVu app (android) did not notify me of an update being available for the GX1000.

1678117273421.png

My two GX1000 dash cameras came with firmware v1.00.001. The FineVu website has v1.00.002 available for download. I downloaded and installed firmware version v1.00.002.

File System on MicroSD Card

When an empty (not yet initialized by FineVu GX1000) microSD card is used, the boot up process will state it is initializing the microSD card's file system and after that completes the GX1000 reboots. The file system contents after the initialization looks like this:

1678118327654.png

Normal mode recording files are placed in the "normal" directory. The video files created by the GX1000 are AVI video files which has the front video, rear video and a mono audio track.

Normal mode filename example: 20230305-14h01m29s_FR_N.avi

The "FR" in the filename means that this video file has the "F"ront and "R"ear video contents in the video file. Most video players will only play/access the first video track which is the front video file. My video editing program (Adobe Premiere Pro) cannot access video track two (rear video), so I created a Bash shell script that uses the ffmpeg utility to copy front video track (track 0) and the audio track (track 2) to its own AVI file. I then use ffmpeg again to extract the rear video track (track 1) and audio track (track 2) to its own AVI file so I can access both the front and rear video within my video editing program.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
# Extract front camera video with audio
ffmpeg -i $1 -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy ${1%.*}_front.avi
# Extract rear camera video with audio
ffmpeg -i $1 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy ${1%.*}_rear.avi

Parking Modes

Within the FineVu app, you can select one of four available parking mode types.

1678117479233.png

(F) = Front, (R) = Rear
  • Motion
    • No Motion within the field of view
      • No video files are created
    • Motion within the field of view
      • 2560x1440 30fps combined Front/Rear H.264 AVI
      • Stored in "motion" directory - File basename suffix "_M"
      • 2560x1440 30fps 15.66 Mbps (F) + 2560x1440 30fps 15.66 Mbps (R)
      • Buffered: 20 Seconds Total = 10 seconds before / after triggering motion
    • Impact event
      • Stored in "parking" directory - File basename suffix "_P"
      • Buffered: 20 Seconds Total = 10 seconds before / after triggering impact
    • Returning to normal recording mode.
      • FineVu has stated this parking mode should announce the number of events that took place in this parking mode.
      • My testing has found this parking mode does not announce the number of events.
  • Smart Time Lapse
    • Continuously records 20 second videos
    • 2560x1440 30 fps combined Front/Rear H.264 time-lapse video files
    • Front/rear video is recorded at 2 fps - No audio is recorded
    • Each 20 second time-lapse video file equals 5 minutes of wall clock time
    • The smart time lapse videos are not interrupted by an impact event.
      • Both the smart time lapse and impact video files are written to the microSD at the same time.
    • Impact event
      • 2560x1440 30fps combined front/rear H.264 AVI file
      • FineVu has stated this parking mode should announce the number of events that took place in this parking mode.
      • My testing has found this parking mode does not announce the number of events.
  • 15 FPS
    • No Motion
      • No video files are created
    • With Motion Within The Field Of View
      • 2560x1440 15fps combined Front/Rear H.264 AVI
      • Stored in the "motion" directory - File basename suffix "_M"
      • 2560x1440 15fps 11.76 Mbps (F) + 2560x1440 15fps 11.76 Mbps (R)
    • Impact Event
      • Stored in the "parking" directory - File basename suffix "_P"
  • Power Saving [Parking Mode]
    • This is a low power consumption parking mode
    • When the accessory power is switched off
      • GX1000 enters into a surveillance mode for a 70 to 75 second period.
        • This surveillance mode will look for motion within the field of view and if present, a 20 second motion video files are created.
        • The somewhat odd behavior of this mode is that if the motion is continuous, each motion video file will contain overlapping video/audio
          • Second count is the number of seconds since the accessory power was turned off
          • Motion file 1 contains – seconds 10 to 30
          • Motion file 2 contains – seconds 21 to 41
          • Motion file 3 contains – seconds 32 to 52
          • Motion file 4 contains – seconds 43 to 63
          • Motion file 5 contains – seconds 54 to 74
      • After the initial surveillance mode finishes, the GX1000 goes into low power consumption mode (4 mA / 0.05 Watts) waiting for an impact event to occur.
      • When an impact event occurs
        • The GX1000 powers up and starts recording an impact video file.
          • The power up steps takes on average 5.6 seconds (not the 1.9 seconds as stated on the FineVu website).
          • Video info
            • 2560x1440 30fps combined front/rear H.264 AVI file
            • 20 second impact recording is created.
          • After 20 seconds, GX1000 enters a post-impact surveillance mode
      • Post-Impact Surveillance Mode
        • GX1000 remains in surveillance mode for up to 66 seconds if motion is detected and 61 seconds if no motion is detected
        • If motion is present while in post-impact surveillance mode:
          • Each “Motion” video file is 20 seconds in length.
          • If motion is continuous during this time period, the “Motion” video files will contain overlapping video/audio content.
          • My test involved having motion visible to the front and rear video cameras during and after the impact event that created the impact video file.
          • Impact video file contains seconds 1 to 20 for this test example:
            • Motion file 1 contains – seconds 12 to 32
              • Seconds 12 to 20 overlap with the parking mode impact video recording.
            • Motion file 2 contains – seconds 22 to 42
            • Motion file 3 contains – seconds 33 to 53
            • Motion file 4 contains – seconds 44 to 64
            • Motion file 5 contains – seconds 55 to 75
            • Motion file 6 contains – seconds 66 to 86
          • AVI video files are 30 FPS video files.
            • Video Info
              • Stored in the “motion” directory with file basename suffix “_M"
              • Front: 2560x1440 30 fps, H.264, 15.66 Mbps data rate
              • Rear: 2560x1440 30 fps, H.264, 15.66 Mbps data rate
              • Audio is recorded.
        • The FineVu website states the post-impact surveillance mode is 40 seconds in length, but my testing shows otherwise.
        • When the post-impact surveillance mode has completed, the GX1000 returns to the low power state waiting for the next impact.
        • Exiting “Power Saving” parking and returning to “Normal” recording mode
          • When accessory power is restored, the GX1000 will exit power saving mode and return to normal recording mode.
            • Announcements made:
              • If one or more impacts took place during power saving mode
                • Announcement: “Impact detection record, ‘Number’”
                  • If one impact event took place: “Impact detection record, one”
              • If one or more motion events took place during the power saving surveillance mode(s):
                • Announcement: “Motion detection record, ‘Number’”
                  • My testing had over ten events, so the GX1000 stated “Motion detection record, over 10”

Last edited:
Reserved for power consumption test results....

I updated post #1 with additional details for the FineVu GX1000 parking modes (Motion, Smart Time Lapse, 15 FPS and Power Saving).

FineVu GX1000 - Firmware v1.00.002 - Normal [Driving] Modes

The FineVu app "Record" settings page allows you to configure the "Driving Recording" (Normal Mode) and "Parking Recording" (Parking Mode) settings.

1678945816783.png
  • Driving Recording
    • You can select "Standard" (the default), "Smart Time Lapse" or "15 FPS"
  • Event Sensitivity
    • You can configure how sensitive the GX1000's G-sensor will be in detecting impact events.
    • Options are "Off", "Low", "Mid (the default) or "High"
  • Anti-Flicker
    • Options are "Disabled" (the default) or "Enabled".
    • Helps prevent video flicker when recording in specific regions.
    • The video frame rate it set to 27 FPS instead of 30 FPS.
  • Recording quality setting (Driving/Parking)
    • "Standard" or "High quality" (the default)
1678946976311.png
  • Parking Recording
    • You can select from "Motion" (the default), "Smart Time Lapse", "15 FPS" and "Power Saving"
    • See post #1 in this thread for a detailed description of these four options.
  • Event Sensitivity (Parking)
    • You can configure how sensitive the GX1000's G-sensor will be in detecting impact events while in parking mode
    • Options are: "Low", "Mid" (the default) and "High"
  • Motion Sensitivity (Parking)
    • Configures how sensitive the GX1000 will be in detecting motion within the field of view (front or rear).
    • Options are: "Off", "Low", "Mid" (the default) and "High"
  • Anti-Flicker
    • Options are "Disabled" (the default) or "Enabled".
    • Helps prevent video flicker when recording in specific regions.
    • The video frame rate it set to 27 FPS instead of 30 FPS.
  • Recording quality setting (Driving/Parking)
    • "Standard" or "High quality" (the default)
"Driving Recording" modes - more info
  • Standard
    • Video File Info
      • Stored in "normal" directory - File basename suffix "_N"
      • 2560x1440 30fps 15.65 Mbps (F) + 2560x1440 30fps 15.65 Mbps (R)
      • Video file length is 60 seconds
    • When an impact event occurs:
      • Writing to the "Standard" video file in the "normal" directory is ended.
      • An impact event video file is created
        • Impact Event Video File Info
          • Stored in "event" directory - File basename suffix "_E"
          • The impact event video file will contain the last 10 seconds in the "Standard" video file and it will include the 10 seconds after the impact
    • When the impact event video file has been finished, a new "Standard" video file in the "normal" directory is created
  • Smart Time Lapse
    • Video File Info
      • Continuously records 60 second time-lapse video files
      • 2560x1440 30 fps combined Front/Rear H.264 time-lapse video files
      • Stored in "normal" directory - File basename suffix "_N"
      • Front/rear video is recorded at 6 fps - No audio is recorded
      • Each 60 second time-lapse video file equals 5 minutes of wall clock time
      • Writing to the "Smart Time Lapse" video file in the "normal" directory is not interrupted
        • The "Smart Time Lapse" video file continues to be written to while the impact event video file is created.
  • 15 FPS
    • The "15 FPS" mode is identical to the "Standard" mode, except all video files are 15fps video files and that results in a slightly lower bitrate as well.
    • Video File Info
      • Stored in the "normal" directory - File basename suffix "_N"
      • 2560x1440 15fps 11.73 Mbps (F) + 2560x1440 15fps 11.73 Mbps (R)
      • Video file length is 60 seconds
      • Writing to the "15 FPS" video file in the "normal" directory is ended.
      • The impact event video file will contain the last 10 seconds in the "15 FPS" video file and it will include the 10 seconds after the impact
      • When the impact event video file has been finished, a new "15 FPS" video file in the "normal" directory is created

Last edited:
Yesterday, I installed the two GX1000 dash cameras in my car that there were sent to me by Finedigital.

1679246941731.png

What I currently have on the front windshield (right-to-left in the picture):
  • BlackVue DR900X Plus
  • FineVu GX1000 - HDR On
  • FineVu GX1000 - HDR Off
  • VIOFO A229
  • FineVue GX1000 rear camera (connected to HDR off GX1000 front camera)
On the rear window:
  • BlackVue DR900X Plus Rear Camera - RC110F
  • VIOFO A229 Duo Rear Camera
  • GX1000 Rear Camera (connected to GX1000 with HDR on)
I placed one of the GX1000 rear cameras on the front windshield to see what (if any) difference there is between the front and rear video cameras when capturing video for the same field of view. This is because the BlackVue RC110F rear camera when connected to a DR750X Plus or DR900X Plus camera will often record much darker video than the front camera.

Firmware Version

I have GX1000 firmware v1.00.002 installed in both GX1000 dash cameras. I just updated the VIOFO A229 Duo with firmware version v1.1_20230105.

CPL Filters

There are no CPL filters available for the FineVu GX1000 front or rear dash cameras. The angle of the front windshield in my car tends to produce some amount of glare/reflections on the windshield. I'll have to see how the GX1000 handles this situation without a CPL filter.

Windshield Mount - Loose Connection

20230318_GX1000_Loose_Windshield_Mounting_Clip_Gif.gif

After I installed the first of two GX1000 front dash cameras on the front windshield, I found the windshield mounting clip connection to the front dash camera was loose. This allows the GX1000 front camera to move around. It's fully clipped into place and there's no side-to-side movement, it's more of an up/down movement. I found a temporary solution to this issue by using some thin automotive noise reduction felt to place on the two of the four tabs that connect the windshield mounting plate to the GX1000 front camera.

1679248900413.png

I've created a demonstration video for Finedigital to see this issue in detail. Both GX1000 front dash cameras have this problem, so it's not an isolated incident.

FineVu - GX1000 Documentation

I've been working with Finedigital to document the various recording modes available for normal driving and while parked. Finedigital has stated they will be enhancing the GX1000 website info with additional definitions for the various recording modes based on my feedback.

Video Footage

Unfortunately, the next week or so will include a lot of rain in my general area of Northern California. I'll start to gather daytime/nighttime footage when the weather permits.

Attachments

• 1679247989838.png
    1679247989838.png
    366.6 KB · Views: 12
This post will likely only be of interest to those interested getting "into the weeds" a bit with regard to my process of handling the GX1000 video files.

The GX1000 creates an AVI video file with both front and rear video, an audio track and a GPS data track. The "_FR" filename suffix is stating that both front and rear video is contained in this file. My video editor cannot access (at least not that I've found yet) the second video track (rear video). The FineVu app will download the front or rear video and audio (if present) into a MP4 file on your phone device.

Combined front/rear video filename example: 20230317-09h05m22s_FR_N.avi

I wanted to have a way to perform the same separation of the front and rear video from the original AVI file when I download the files from the microSD card. In an earlier post, I included a bash shell script that extracted the front video (with audio) and rear video (with audio) into their own AVI files. I was able to successfully play/view those video files with various video players on my Windows 10/11 laptops.

Here's that original bash shell script that used ffmpeg to create the two separate video files.
Bash:
#!/bin/bash
# Extract front camera video with audio
ffmpeg -i $1 -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy ${1%.*}_front.avi
# Extract rear camera video with audio
ffmpeg -i $1 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy ${1%.*}_rear.avi

When creating a demonstration video for Finedigital, I used my video editor Adobe Premiere Pro. I was able to include extracted video/audio in my video timeline. I noticed the video from my ffmpeg created AVI files were not playing correctly in Adobe Premiere Pro. It would display one frame and it would stick on that frame for the entire length of the video clip.

I worked on revising my ffmpeg extraction commands to try and get a MP4 file for the front/rear videos including the audio (if present - time lapse has no audio). Trying to have ffmpeg create a MP4 file with the front video with audio would fail (and same for the rear file creation). It was having a problem extracting the audio and creating an audio track in the MP4 file. I ended up creating a MP4 file with just the front video, a MP4 file with just the rear video and a WAV file for the audio. Those files work well in all players and in Adobe Premiere Pro.

I updated my two bash shell scripts with new ffmpeg commands args and I added a "for" loop to allow me to pass a list of files into the bash shell script.

finevu_extract_no_audio.sh
Bash:
#!/bin/bash
for fn in "$@"
do
  ffmpeg -i $fn -map 0:0 -vcodec copy $(basename -s .avi $fn)_front.mp4
  ffmpeg -i $fn -map 0:1 -vcodec copy $(basename -s .avi $fn)_rear.mp4
done

finevu_extract_with_audio.sh
Bash:
#!/bin/bash
finevu_extract_no_audio.sh "$@"
for fn in "$@"
do
  ffmpeg -i $fn $(basename -s .avi $fn)_audio.wav
done

The video files created by the GX1000 are AVI video files which has the front video, rear video and a mono audio track.

Normal mode filename example: 20230305-14h01m29s_FR_N.avi

The "FR" in the filename means that this video file has the "F"ront and "R"ear video contents in the video file. Most video players will only play/access the first video track which is the front video file. My video editing program (Adobe Premiere Pro) cannot access video track two (rear video),
What is the benefit of using such a video format?

What is the benefit of using such a video format?
I have not been given an explanation of why Finedigital decided to use a combined video file for the front/rear video.

Today, I went on a shakedown run with two FineVu GX1000 dash cameras installed. I reinstalled a VIOFO A229 Duo for a comparison 2K front/2K rear camera and I still have a DR900X-2CH Plus installed in my car. I did my rough adjustments for the field-of-view for each dash camera in my garage, but there was still a need to tweak the FOV adjustments on a few of them after this shakedown run.

The VIOFO A229 Duo seemed to have lost all of the customized settings I had in place just after upgrading it to v1.1_20230105 firmware. I fixed some of the A229 settings mid-trip (parking mode) and the rest when I arrived back at home. I'll have to monitor the A229 Duo to see if that happens again.

For the FineVu GX1000 dash cameras, I had the ADAS feature enabled for one of the two units. I turned it off when I arrived back at home. I'm not a fan of ADAS features in a dash camera. For example, I was changing lanes on a freeway and the GX1000 ADAS beeped (two beeps, a short pause and then three more beeps) for correctly and legally moving from lane 1 to lane 2. It looks like I forgot to turn on the "Summer Time" setting for the GX1000 with the HDR feature turned off. All of the adjustments of the settings and FOV have been completed.

I wanted to show some examples of the front and rear cameras from this shakedown trip. The GX1000 with the HDR setting set to off also has its rear camera on the front windshield. The reason for this is because of a long running problem with BlackVue "X Plus" dash cameras with the RC110F rear camera. The RC110F rear camera video is very dark (darker than it should be) in many situations, so I ended up testing that issue by having a rear camera on the front windshield so the exposure level can be compared with the same lighting conditions. So far, the GX1000 rear camera's default exposure setting looks appropriate for the various lighting conditions I exposed it to today.

Front Samples:

20230320_day_front_all4.jpg20230320_day_front_all4_sky.jpg20230320_day_front_gx1000_hdr.jpg20230320_day_front_gx1000_hdroff.jpg20230320_day_front_gx1000_rear_on_front.jpg20230320_day_front_a229_cpl.jpg

Rear Samples:

20230320_day_rear_all3.jpg20230320_day_rear_gx1000.jpg20230320_day_rear_dr900xplus_rc110f.jpg20230320_day_rear_a229_duo_rear.jpg

Last edited:
I've been working on my GX1000 review this week by gathering video footage and testing various operational behavior in the various recording modes.

A CPL filter would be very beneficial for the GX1000

The sun has made a rare appearance in Northern California a few days this week. Fridays, I drive the car with the dash cameras being reviewed on a route that is about 30 miles roundtrip. The times when the sun was shining directly into the front of the car a reflection of the dash board is quite noticeable on the inside of the front windshield glass. The GX1000 dash camera footage quality was impacted by the reflection on the inside of the front windshield. A CPL filter would be beneficial in those situations. A VIOFO A229 Duo with a CPL filter handled the windshield reflection issue far better.

Left GX1000 / Right GX1000 / VIOFO A229
1679760421214.png 1679760439504.png 1679760462585.png

Driving Recording - Event Sensitivity

The GX1000 firmware settings include a "Driving Recording" mode "Event Sensitivity" setting. The default is "Mid". With it set to "Mid" far too many minor fluctuations in the road surface were being flagged as impact events. After my Monday drive with the "Event Sensitivity" set to "Mid", I changed the setting to "Low" and that helped reduce the number of "detected" driving recording impact events, but there were still far too many being "detected". The BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus and VIOFO A229 Duo dash cameras were not detecting any impact events when the GX1000 was detecting impact events. The number of "beeps" from the GX1000 was quite annoying.

Friday afternoon, I went on a 3 mile driving route in my local town to test a few video settings of the GX1000. The GX1000 mounted on the left side of the center rear view mirror was going "nuts" with it indicating almost every tiny pebble in the road was an impact event. I admit the roads are not the smoothest on this driving route, but again the DR900X Plus and A229 were not detecting any impact events. The GX1000 to the right of the center rear view mirror was far less upset and only detected two impact events while driving this 3 mile route.

It appears that something may be failing in the left GX1000 because it was "detecting" impacts almost constantly while the right GX1000 was not. I've sent info to Fine Digital about this issue. I'm guessing the left GX1000 might have a bad or failing G-Sensor.

Loop 1 - 3 Mile Test Route

These screenshots are from the FineVu Player on my Windows 11 laptop. I like how the FineVu Player will scan the directory tree where you point it at to find all of the video files for the trip and list them in time order. You can see the number "Event" files from the left GX1000 is quite large.

Left GX1000 (Driving Recording = Standard) / Right GX1000 (Driving Recording = Smart Time Lapse)
1679761247571.png vs 1679761286231.png

Loop 2 - 3 Mile Test Route

Once again the left GX1000 was "detecting" impacts almost everywhere on this route. I noticed that making a right turn would almost always result in the left GX1000 detecting an impact.

Left GX1000 (Driving Recording = Standard) / Right GX1000 (Driving Recording = Standard)
1679761414897.png vs 1679761433172.png

Driving Recording - Event Sensitivity

I was given an early copy of the 1.00.003 GX1000 firmware to test whether the driving recording event sensitivity issue was resolved. I drove a few times on my local town test loop and there were no abnormal impacts being detected by either GX1000.

Nighttime GX1000 HDR Testing

Last night, I started gathering nighttime footage for the GX1000. I was told by Fine Digital that the GX1000's HDR setting enables/disables HDR for both the front and rear cameras. I wanted to test statement. One of the GX1000 dash cameras has both the front camera and rear camera on the front windshield so I can see how well each one captures any given lighting situation.

In my recent reviews, I've started including a test of how well each dash camera captures an illuminated roadside sign. I have two versions of this test. I only have one VIOFO A229 Duo dash camera, so the first test is with the A229's WDR On and the second with the A229's WDR feature Off. I have one GX1000 (both cameras on front windshield) with HDR off, one GX1000 with HDR off and a BlackVue DR900X Plus to add one more to the test.

Based on these results, I can confirm the GX1000's HDR setting does in fact enable/disable HDR for both the front and rear GX1000 cameras. The GX1000 with HDR on captures the illuminated roadside sign the best. The GX1000 with HDR off was not really able to capture the sign's details. The BlackVue DR900X Plus front camera and the VIOFO A229 front camera with or without WDR enabled do not capture any of the sign's details in this test.

Test 1: DR900X Plus, GX1000 front HDR on, GX1000 rear HDR on, GX1000 front HDR off, A229 front WDR on
1680041595400.png

Test 2: DR900X Plus, GX1000 front HDR on, GX1000 rear HDR on, GX1000 front HDR off, A229 front WDR off
1680041616691.png

I created a video on my YouTube channel which contains daytime and nighttime video samples from the FineVu GX1000 QHD 2-channel dash camera. I'm still working on the in-depth review.

A CPL filter would be very beneficial for the GX1000
Something like that should be mandatory these days, really if you do not need a CPL filter, you are the rare one, most other will need it.

I just finished my in-depth review video for the GX1000.

I created a review thread on this site.

A direct link to the review video:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Panzer Platform GX1000 37