Shadow Tec / Seezus GT550WS

Ziad

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello again,

This camera has flaws. While the quality of the video is impressive, there are defects in design that should be rectified. Manufacture website is also not helpful.

First and foremost generally when you are upgrading firmware a reputable device should be recognize if the firmware is for that model camera. In my case, the device attempted to update the firmware with the GT680 firmware. This deemed the camera function-less.

Second Problem: In an attempt to fix this i tried removing the sd card and putting it back in. That is the second design fault. The camera casing does not totally encapsulate the sd socket, consequently when i tried putting the sd card back in, it went in the cavity and fell inside the camera.

Third problem (manufacture Fault), while it was easy enough to remove the casing, i inspected the cameras internals, the mini usb socket had totally bad soldering. The solder was dull and brittle and on almost most pins they had pulled out. I guess that explains the led flickering colors (when operational) and pc camera function not working when arrived.

Fourth design fault, when the camera was operating, i managed to put the gps plug in the AV out. While this did not cause any long term problems, it turned the lcd off. As this device did not come with a comprehensive manual, it took me forever to figure out what was the problem. First, why would you use the same socket type and in the same general area?

Fifth, the manual is pointless based on the limited information you gain out of it. I had figure out what the colors mean from an internet forum and even that was not accurate. No mention or warnings about placement of certain files on the sd card, example .bin files that may render your device useless.

Truly this camera had failed me and although i did my best to research prior to purchase, no mention on these design faults was ever made. Hence i'm posting this thread to raise awareness.

Regards

Last edited:
After a couple of sleepless night I was able to fix this cam.

First in relation to the sd card falling in the cam casing, well a thick layered double tape placed on the inside sure did the trick.

Relation to the crap factory soldiering on the micro jab slot, well I removed it, put some solder on the mother board double sided taped the slot and resloded the pins and fixing pins.

The firmware, well if you thought the above was difficult, finding a firmware for this cam is a nightmare. Went on Alibaba, spoke on live chat with the seezus support, nice lady helped me out with the firmware, even game me the updated firmware v2.5. Installed it onto the sd card and loaded almost perfect.

I say almost perfect, although everything works, but computt want recognize the camera nor does it recognize it to be mass storage even though I select it. I believe this might be associated with a driver update as a consequence of new firmware update.

We retail this brand and model and have had nothing but good reviews. Its actually one of the better cameras from our experience.
Perhaps you ran into a knock off unit?

There will always be design errors.. No perfect camera.

Buy from a reputable retailer, who provides proper support in your area. With "Cheap" price comes cheap service!
Hello again,

This is a a pathetic camera from all angels. While the quality of the video maybe okay, there is so many defects in design and even the manufacture website is not helpful.

First and foremost generally when you are upgrading firmware the device should be smart enough to recognize if the firmware is for that model camera. In my case, the device attempted to update the firmware with the GT680 firmware. This deemed the camera function-less.

Second Problem: In an attempt to fix this i tried removing the sd card and putting it back in. That is the second design fault. The camera casing does not totally encapsulate the sd socket, consequently when i tried putting the sd card back in it went in the cavity and fell inside the camera.

Third problem, while it was easy enough to remove the casing, i inspected the cameras internals, the mini usb socket had totally bad soldering. The solder was dull and brittle and on almost most pins they had pulled out. I guess that explains the led flickering colors (when operational).

Fourth design fault, when the camera was operating, i managed to put the gps plug in the AV out. While this did not cause any foreseeable fault, it turned the lcd off. As this device did not come with a comprehensive manual, it took me forever to figure out what was the problem. First, why would you use the same socket type and in the same general area?

Fifth, what the hell is going on with such a pathetic manual, i had figure out what the colors mean from an internet forum and even that was not accurate. No mention or warnings about placement of certain files on the sd card, example .bin files that may render your device useless.

Truly this camera had failed me and although i did my best to research prior to purchase, no mention on these design faults was ever made. Hence i'm posting this thread to raise awareness.

Regards

@Ziad pointed out pointed out things in some or in all cases may exist, thats true and if to be very picky then I could add dozens more, but lets not forget PRICE !

There is universal rule: what you pay is what you get.

Within this price range Seezeus products price vs value is fairly justified. There are 100ds other similar dashcams within same price range which have many more flaws and virtually no aftetsales support. At least from Seezeuz we are getting time to time some support and manufacturer + vendors are presented here.

To have no or very little complaint, then need to pay more for high-end product which cost at least 2-3x more.

I hope you see my point. Its all about price vs value.

Last edited:
I appreciate what your saying NiKO. The things i pointed out, may change people's opinions next time they look at buying this camera. Perhaps they are worse cameras, but all in all needs documenting. If someone had a post such as mine about 2 weeks ago, i would have bit the bullet and bought the better brand camera. Sick of Chinese crap. I'm sure anyone would pay an additional cost of $10 max to fix these issues. This camera is 2013 model don't forget, so they had 1 year to rectify simple things. Injection molding a new camera case to resolve the issue i had, what would that be you think? During mass production they go through many molds anyway why couldn't they improve it.

What really ticked me over was the firmware. I tried uploading the DOD330w firmware, and the camera did not upload it. However i went on the Seezeuz web page and in the download was a bin file. No comment was made on what model camera it was for. I thought it would be safe to download. Once the worst could happen, the camera will not update firmware. Well it did update it and killed my camera. What's worse no one had a firmware. Stuck for luck.

Now i have issues with the V2.5, pc doesn't seem to recognize the camera. Happy tethering.

Hate to leave things unsettled. In relation to V2.5 and my usb not being recognized. Not the firmware issue, but one of the pins to the mini usb socket was not connected. Some more soldering later, and walla the usb is recognized. Having said that i was also able to get v2.4 firmware. Not much of a difference between the two firmwares.

I HAVE A GT550W SHADOW DASH CAM ,BUT, I CAN`T GET THE SD CARD TO GO IN THE SLOT RIGHT TO RECORD.CAN I TAKE THE CAM APART TO SEE WHAT IS WRONG?

I AM UNABLE TO DETERMINE WHEN THE SD CARD IS IN THE CAMERA WERE IT SHOULD BE ,I CANNOT TELL IF IS RECORDING.I AM NOT ABLE TO VIEW ANY VIDEO.

Hay man the sd card fits a particular way if u look inside the slot, you would see a shinny metal face of the slot. The sd card fits with the terminals not facing the metal face of the slot.

MY SD CARD IS IN THE SLOT CORRECTLY ,BUT,IT GOES ALL THE WAY IN AND IT IS VERY HARD TO TAKE IT OUT. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TELL IF THE CAMERA IS ACTUALLY RECORDING,WHEN I PUT THE SD CARD IN A CARD READER I DO NOT GET ANY PROMPT TO OPEN THE FILES.

Amongst my initial anguish when receiving this cam, I ran into quality manufacturing issues. Soldering on the circuit board on some components was really bad. Also the sd card on my cam works, but suspect that the mechanism is degrading. Try returning cam for warranty.

How about going in your computer and seeing if the computer recognizes the device.
The computer recognizes it as mass storage.it was puchased at xmas 2013 and i just got around to installing it.It is a gt550ws shadow.I contacted the vendor an d although at first they said it was over NINTY days old ,but, then asked me to try a new sd chip ahd try reseting it and send a video of the problem of operating the camera.If it were operating correctly i would not have a problem.

For most of Novatek96650 camera, when upgrade software, it seem the camera only check the file name, also the firmware name is same, so we should be careful when upgrade the FW.

Are you handy?
i am mostly mechanical than electrical. i think my problem is the sd card slot . when the card is all the way in the camera does not turnoff and you have to pry the chip out ,if i don`t push it all the way in the camera comes on in menu mode but no red recording light. i respect your advice and i think you know what my problem might be.

MY SD CARD IS IN THE SLOT CORRECTLY ,BUT,IT GOES ALL THE WAY IN AND IT IS VERY HARD TO TAKE IT OUT. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TELL IF THE CAMERA IS ACTUALLY RECORDING,WHEN I PUT THE SD CARD IN A CARD READER I DO NOT GET ANY PROMPT TO OPEN THE FILES.

Camera is recording when LED light on top left corner (pin hole to left of screen above buttons) is flashing either solid red or may look purple.
You will also notice on the LCD itself a round red dot flashing on/off.

I would suggest replacing the micro sd card.

Camera is recording when LED light on top left corner (pin hole to left of screen above buttons) is flashing either solid red or may look purple.
You will also notice on the LCD itself a round red dot flashing on/off.

I would suggest replacing the micro sd card.
The vendor suggested i replace the new sd 10 card with a sd 6 .does this make sense?
Thank you for your advice.

The vendor suggested i replace the new sd 10 card with a sd 6 .does this make sense?
Thank you for your advice.
No, we supply Adata class 10 32gb. Never a issue!

What brand micro SD were you using?

No, we supply Adata class 10 32gb. Never a issue!

What brand micro SD were you using?
I have not been able to get my camera to record.I contacted my vendor and they sent me a message from their tech support that I should leave the sd chip stick out about 1/8 of a inch and use a NEW 6 SD CARD and it should work.it does not work. I USE A 32 SAN DISK 10.
Thank you,

Back