Fake .. What to do ...

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
0801 1080P Ambarella A2S60
Just received my mini 0801 and it's a fake unit like the pictures posted on page 2, but without the suction cup, and cheap cardboard wrap around packaging.

Contacted the seller about his listing on ebay, his reply was to return for a refund (no admission of selling a fake), listing is still up unchanged, the return shipping to Shenzhen, China would add another large cost which I'm reluctant to pay, could get "Lost" en-route, then no refund.

At this time ebay has not been informed ... should I????.

I could ask for a price adjustment, maybe....

I don't feel like shipping this back, seems to work ok, although the menu is hard to read...

I would raise a complaint through Ebay or PayPal - if you used that method of payment - not as that will cover return costs but the supplier might just return your payment to limit the aggravation.

If its not as described and is a `genuine fake` then log a complaint with Ebay as such.
I have heard on more than one occasion that you will get a full refund via paypal and wont have to send the goods back.

If you raise a claim for goods not as described you have to send the goods back, if you raise a claim that the item is a fake you'll be asked to destroy the goods and still get your refund

View the listing and tell me if I made a mistake ... don't wont to report if I'm wrong ...
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/251495120061

The listing looks like original 0801 (both pictures and description). I'd say you have solid ground for your eBay claim.
Only mistake you made is buying from that seller. Could have had it cheaper (~$81 delivered) from FoxOffer - his camera's are genuine (got one myself).

I'd report it to eBay as fake and use refund to buy from FoxOffer or local supplier. Or for~$100 you could get new 0803 Model.

Definitely inform eBay that it's a fake and that you want your money back, they might pass you over to PayPal who'll sort it for you.

I received some faulty speakers last year, contacted eBay who put me through to PayPal who said to email the guy and if he doesn't reply within 7 days to get back in touch. I emailed him, didn't get a response for 9 days so I rang PayPal and they gave me my money back straight away and that was that. I was never asked to return the speakers and I got my money. eBay/PayPal are incredible at customer service situations such as this so you should have no problem whatsoever.

Some sensible and good advice here and you are right in wanting to be certain before going ahead with action.

Late replying again, out of town for a few days opening my summer home (in the boonies).

Thanks for your sound advice I am following up with the seller to see his response, once known I will take action through Ebay to make a claim.... his listing is still the same showing an original mini 0801....

I'll keep you posted..

Well it would seem that my claim has been authorised by paypal, but the catcher is that I return the item to China with tracking info, the rates to China from Canada are through the roof, surface is $48 and air is $78, wow ... by the time I buy the bubble pack and then post to China its like buying another cam, I think I'l keep this and put it down to buyer beware.

Well it would seem that my claim has been authorised by paypal, but the catcher is that I return the item to China with tracking info, the rates to China from Canada are through the roof, surface is $48 and air is $78, wow ... by the time I buy the bubble pack and then post to China its like buying another cam, I think I'l keep this and put it down to buyer beware.

did you claim as fake or goods not as described?

Fake is just one type of "not as described".

The eBay resolution center is where you make that claim and workout with the seller a reasonable settlement which may or may not include return shipping the item. The seller doesn't want to pay a full refund cause he is out the product which wouldn't be able to sell as new, besides the buyer could send him an empty package with delivery tracking to save on shipping. Once the package tracking show the item was delivered, the refund is automatically handled by eBay with PayPal. Most sellers will settle if the buyer is reasonable.

PayPal also provides buyer protection, but may direct you to eBay on claims for items bought there.

Fake is just one type of "not as described".

in the US at least it is a federal offense to send fake goods through the mail so returning the item would break the law, that's why it's preferable to claim as fake rather than not as described, might be different in Canada perhaps, obviously returning the item is not practical due to cost and a lot of these Chinese sellers count on this I'm sure

Well I'm back to update, my complaint has been cancelled, my initial complaint was that the item listing was not as advertised.

The cam works and recycles just fine with my 32gb card.

The kicker is that the listing is unchanged after all the back and forth emails.....

Ebay will pass you on to PayPal and then .... well you know the

If you are looking to get a real Mini 0801/Mini 0803, take a look at our website. We are located in Ontario, so it'll be shipped to you extremely quickly, 1-2 days, and you can ship it back to us if there are any problems with it.

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back