Load pictures

REyewitness

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
GT200W, GT680W, GT550WS, G1W-C, K6000, SJ4000
How can you load a picture to your post? never seems to work for me.

Are there some size limits or formats?

Thanks

Or you upload them to your ftp/webserver (or to an image upload service like imgur) and include them using this code:
Code:
[img]http://url.to/img.jpg[/img]
Then the filesize doesn't matter.

If the picture is less than 1MB make sure you are using the "Upload a File" button not the picture button. Over 1MB, it won't accept.

Are the images hosted on your own account when uploaded or elsewhere?

Just thinking about bandwidth, usage etc, is it likely to cause a problem at some stage do you think?

Are the images hosted on your own account when uploaded or elsewhere?

Just thinking about bandwidth, usage etc, is it likely to cause a problem at some stage do you think?

I was thinking the same thing, DashCamMan is being quite generous turning on the feature. I use http://imgur.com/ exclusively.

Is it possible to implement automatic file resize of each picture ? I am lazy always to resize manually ;)

Is it possible to implement automatic file resize of each picture ? I am lazy always to resize manually ;)

That's a really good question, niko. I have wanted to upload several pictures but they have been too large.

I dont know if DCT platform allow this function, but some other forums can do this. You basically may upload even 10Mb per one picture, but website processes and resizes it to sertain smallwr Mb size set by admin / developer of that website.

I dont know if DCT platform allow this function, but some other forums can do this. You basically may upload even 10Mb per one picture, but website processes and resizes it to sertain smallwr Mb size set by admin / developer of that website.

This kind of functionality is a tax on resources though that slows the site down while processing

This kind of functionality is a tax on resources though that slows the site down while processing

@ tax on resources ? ( my bad English ), - does it mean this add-on cost extra $ for website developer, right ?

Not money, the same server that we're on would do the processing so it slows the site down anytime it's handling images

Not money, the same server that we're on would do the processing so it slows the site down anytime it's handling images

Every time I hear word "tax", I instantly associate it with "taxman" who knokcing on your door to collect another stupid tax, like pet tax, or maybe soon they will tax for breathing air ? :)

OK, I see what you mean. And in order to not allow site to slow down when processing images, need to upgrade a hosting account to higher speed ( data processing ) ?

even the fastest servers take a hit when processing images, I would think keeping the limits reasonable is a better option, forums are already a heavy burden on server resources

even the fastest servers take a hit when processing images, I would think keeping the limits reasonable is a better option, forums are already a heavy burden on server resources

Ok. Understood. Will keep resizing manually. Thanks for explanation.

Regarding the 1MB limit, it actually hasn't impacted the bandwidth to date and don't think it is a problem. If the site grows, CPU and memory will most likely be the bottlenecks not bandwidth.

There is an option in Xenforo to limit the picture dimensions. Just to test it out, I have increased the attachment size to 5MB and included max picture dimensions of 1920 x 1080. I will see if there is any impact on the server. I believe this will resize the images and reduce the image size, but I haven't fully tested it yet.

Just tested it with a 2.9MB picture but didn't go through yet.

Just tried uploading a 4MB photo and it gave me a server error. I will need to investigate further on what size the system can adequately handle.

Back