Hardwire DR500GW

Deano

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am wanting to hardwire my DR500GW. I only want it powered whilst driving as I am going to remove it whilst parked. I was going to use an "add a fuse" type device to get a power supply but wanted to know what device to use to attatch the cig lighter connector to. I didn't see the point of using the power magic pro as that is mainly for monitoring voltage when the engine is switched off which I don't need. I just need some sort of cig lighter socket with wire I can attach to the add a fuse connector.
Would this be ok.. 350661863759 off eBay?

Last edited:
Yes you could but you don't need the fuse or the waterproof part as the plug has a fuse in it. I bought a ciggy socket for $2.99 at local electronic parts store and soldered two wires onto it and also bought an adda fuse and just connected them together with appropriate connectors and wrapped in bubble wrap behind dash. Recommend you tape the plug and ciggy socket together as they tend to vibrate out if not done.

Run the wires up the A pillar and across front of headlining to above the mirror Did that with all my installations.

Just remember to pull wires UP through the trim as that end is smaller and easier to pull through small apertures.
Its a pain in the A**e removing it I have had them in two cars for over two years and none have been pinched (YET) Lol

Yes you could but you don't need the fuse or the waterproof part as the plug has a fuse in it. I bought a ciggy socket for $2.99 at local electronic parts store and soldered two wires onto it and also bought an adda fuse and just connected them together with appropriate connectors and wrapped in bubble wrap behind dash. Recommend you tape the plug and ciggy socket together as they tend to vibrate out if not done.

Run the wires up the A pillar and across front of headlining to above the mirror Did that with all my installations.

Just remember to pull wires UP through the trim as that end is smaller and easier to pull through small apertures.
Its a pain in the A**e removing it I have had them in two cars for over two years and none have been pinched (YET) Lol
Thanks for that

If I bought a female 12v cigarette socket with a negative and positive wire, I would attatch the positive to the wire from the "add a fuse", but where do I attatch the black wire from the socket? Does this just attach to an earthing point near the fuse box? Also, what amp blade fuse should I put in the "add a fuse" for the blackvue?

Earth point is fine, don't use anything larger than 5 amp fuse for the camera, the fuse is there to protect the vehicle not the camera

Earth point is fine, don't use anything larger than 5 amp fuse for the camera, the fuse is there to protect the vehicle not the camera
I assume that either of the fixing bolts in the fuse area at the side of the steering wheel will be ok as earth points?

That is a heavy duty fuse and is a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut

The ciggy plug for the camera has a 2 amp fuse which is much more appropriate than the 40 amp in that one.

Also if you want to use the camera temporarily in another car it helps if the original lead is still intact.

Lastly if you have a car like mine, splicing into wires can put the car into limp mode if the computer reads excess loads above what should be normal on a circuit.

A line fuse like this is far more suitable http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SZ2015.

I assume that either of the fixing bolts in the fuse area at the side of the steering wheel will be ok as earth points?

Make sure the bolt you use is screwed into metal there are usually small ones toward the ends of the dash. Use a multimeter to ensure that they are into the body and not just the plastic

I have hardwired four BlackVue units into the families cars; 2 BMWs, 1 Porsche and a Toyota Tundra Truck without issue. I have found that the electronic day/night mirror is a perfect place to tap into. Next week I'll also add one to my wife's Mini Cooper S.

I have hardwired four BlackVue units into the families cars; 2 BMWs, 1 Porsche and a Toyota Tundra Truck without issue. I have found that the electronic day/night mirror is a perfect place to tap into. Next week I'll also add one to my wife's Mini Cooper S.

Good job!:)

I would like to ask for the power magic pro what fuse should I use for the 2014 model mini cooper hatch?

I would like to ask for the power magic pro what fuse should I use for the 2014 model mini cooper hatch?
Anything above 5 amp will do If you use an addafuse a 5amp will do fine.

If you wire it to continuous power (without power magic) how long before the battery is below 11.8?

Back