would it be possible

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
To get a place to chat here on DCT ?

seriously I hope not (no offense) but I admin another forum where the owner added a chat plugin, it was the death of the place as people did all their Q&A directly with whoever they thought was going to best answer their question, even now my inbox has almost 400 messages, a lot where people come and ask me something privately thinking it's the quickest way to get an answer, those ones I'll politely ask them to ask again in the forum so it's public and other people can benefit from the Q&A trail, that's how forums grow by sharing information openly

Okay i can see the issue you mention jokiin, but i was only thinking chit chat, anything else, but i can see how ppl can disregard that in search for a quick reply to a problem.
Seem like many of us have a lot of Things in common aside from dashcams, and a chat would be easyer than a thread in the Off topic forum.

As you might have notised i am pretty good at going off topic in the forum threads :oops: but i try my best not to be too bad and clutter Things up too bad, and thankfully this seem to be a easy going forum :)

seriously I hope not (no offense) but I admin another forum where the owner added a chat plugin, it was the death of the place as people did all their Q&A directly with whoever they thought was going to best answer their question, even now my inbox has almost 400 messages, a lot where people come and ask me something privately thinking it's the quickest way to get an answer, those ones I'll politely ask them to ask again in the forum so it's public and other people can benefit from the Q&A trail, that's how forums grow by sharing information openly

I agree, chat would destroy the whole open support idea of this forum. PM (Private Message) is ok for the occasional thing that needs to be said in confidence. You can always ask someone for their Skype to IM if needed. Everyone wants to feel special having instant real time responses. (human nature) The Forum really educates everyone long term best though. It's DashCamTalk, not DashCamChatRoom :)

Okay i can see the issue you mention jokiin, but i was only thinking chit chat, anything else, but i can see how ppl can disregard that in search for a quick reply to a problem.
Seem like many of us have a lot of Things in common aside from dashcams, and a chat would be easyer than a thread in the Off topic forum.

As you might have notised i am pretty good at going off topic in the forum threads :oops: but i try my best not to be too bad and clutter Things up too bad, and thankfully this seem to be a easy going forum :)

nothing wrong with having an off topic section in a forum

Adding a chat function is not hard...just an additional add-on. But I don't want to deteriorate the quality of the forums since a lot of useful information is captured and shared for everyone to see. If the forum grows much larger, perhaps I will implement but for now I don't want to risk it.

I think it would be a poor idea for all the reasons already put forth. Private Messaging seems like it can essentially handle this function already without disrupting the forums. I've had a few ongoing "chats" with other members and this seems to work well without bringing in additional complexity. There was a reason XenForo decided to refer to PMs here as "Conversations".

Last edited:
I watched a chat add on kill a 30,000 member forum very quickly, the chat app was very busy but the forum posts effectively stopped, another forum I'm on has a chat app but has 600,000 members, on that forum it hasn't made an impact as the place is super busy all the time anyway

Back