Marcus 1 GPS problems

BladeVsNeo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Marcus 1, Marcus 3
I have a M1 in my rear window and a M3 in my front window. When I park the car overnight, upon first start in the morning, the M3 takes about 20 seconds to get a GPS lock (longer if the car is moving - about 1 minute) but the M1 takes about 20 MINUTES to get a lock (wont establish a lock at all if the car is moving....ever!). Even once it has managed to get a lock, if I turn it off and come back 5 minutes later it goes through its 20 minute startup routine. I swapped the GPS modules between the two cameras which made no difference. I tried different placement on the window which didn't help. I did find that if I go into the GPS menu on the camera and look at the satellite status screen, it suddenly manages to get a "fix" and all seems to be fine then. Is anyone else having any issues or does it look like I have a dodgy camera?

Have you swapped the cams front and back? Do you have tinted glass at the back, in glass antenna etc?

Have you mounted a GPS antenna receiver module facing sky ?

faulty then I guess
I thought so too but.....

Have you mounted a GPS antenna receiver module facing sky ?
That did it!

Well this has got me stumped. I have a Marcus 1 rear camera and Marcus 3 front camera in one car and Marcus 5 in the other car.

All 3 GPS modules are stuck "upside down" on the glass due to the 3M adhesive back.

Marcus 3 with GPS on windscreen - works fine.
Marcus 5 with GPS on windscreen - works fine.
Removed Marcus 1 GPS from rear window and placed on parcel shelf - works fine now! So weird!!!

Jokiin, you must be on to something. There must be something at the back of the car interfering with the GPS signal when the module is upside down. I even removed the magnet from the GPS base as that was a possible solution. However, none of them work upside down on the back window but have no issues on the front.

Anyway, it's going now. Thanks you both for your input! Cheers.

Some cars have am/fm antennas embedded into rear windshield demister stripes. For example many VW group cars have top 3 stripes as an antenna. Those are active ( amplified ) and generating an electromagnetic field which might inerfeiring with gps signal.

No there is not any antenna embedded into rear windshield. It's on the roof. Demister wires are disconnected too so that's not it.

Back