Car Stereo/DVR all in one?

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
this thread got me thinking... if they can make a 1080p camera that can still work well over a long cable run, then someone needs to make a Double-DIN form factor multi-channel dashcam/stereo system that uses that rear camera for both front and rear. It would be almost completely stealth since there wouldn't be giant boxes in the windows. Features would be something like this:
  • AM/FM/RDS, maybe HD radio too
  • Bluetooth/handsfree
  • Wi-Fi
  • 3.5mm Aux-in
  • 4.1ch RCA pre-outs (amplifier optional for audiophiles, to keep cost and power use down)
  • Multiple SD and USB slots (one SD card for music/etc and another for dashcam footage)
    • SD card slots concealed behind removable faceplate/screen, or maybe mounted at the extreme edge to maximize faceplate layout options
    • USB ports located on rear of unit, can easily add extension cables to have the ports wherever you want them to be, for use charging devices or reading from thumb drives
  • Uses full-size SD cards for durability and higher capacities - up to 128gb and maybe beyond
  • No optical media (because nobody uses CDs anymore) and thus no moving parts and more room inside for components and ventillation
  • A real volume knob plus a few hard buttons (not part of touchscreen) for things like next/prev/ff/rew
  • 7" touch screen to control everything else
    • Possibly using Android OS for broad range of apps such as media players and navigation software, as well as apps like Torque and other OBD-II apps
  • Configurable to use rear cam as backup-camera
  • Optional GPS/navigation via the addition of a GPS receiver, like some dashcams already have
  • Still uses a supercap to finish saving any video footage, in case a crash is bad enough to take out the car's battery
  • Could even have a 3rd low-resolution interior camera built into the face for use during traffic stops or to keep an eye on teenage drivers.
  • Since all stereos already have constant 12vdc, adding parking mode would be pretty trivial.
Considering that the new dual HD setup linked above apparently has an MSRP of around $400usd, i think a stereo system like this could probably have a similar price. physical packaging wouldn't be as much of a concern since a 2DIN enclosure gives you a LOT of room to work with compared to the usual dashcam enclosure where you're trying to make things as small as possible, so that can help keep costs down.

for people like me who never keep the stock radio and want a decent 2ch dashcam, this would fit the bill nicely.

The SATNAV unit I replaced my stock stereo with has most of what you want. It is Android powered and has:
AM/FM/RDS
Bluetooth with handsfree
Wi-Fi
GSM data if you get the dongle
3.5 aux in
RCA outs for rear seat monitors
2 micro SD slots, one for what ever you want: movies, music, pictures etc and another for map data for the GPS navigation; both are behind small panels
USB slot for connecting external memory storage, I believe it will read a 1 or 2 terabyte drive, there is a USB slot for Apple devices too
CD/DVD drive, I have played movies while sitting in the que at the border, I also made a CD of MP3's for my wife since I have my music on the Micro SD card
Volume control knob, tuning knob, forward and back buttons, navi button and telephone answer and hang up buttons, it also uses my steering wheel buttons
If I had it it would use a reversing cam, I could have ordered one with my unit but felt I did not need it, I can always add it later
GPS navigation, it came with iGo Pro but they did not have good maps for my location so I switched to the Android version of Navitel, works perfect
Not sure but I think mine uses a cap, when I shut the car down the unit takes a few seconds to shut down so it can restart where it left off
No built in cam but does have a microphone in the face but think it is for voice commands when doing hands free, also came with a plug in microphone but my car already had one for the stock radio so it is connected through the harness
I could have ordered a dash cam for the unit when I bought it, would have been just the front though, no dual channel. Even though they list it as 30fps and 1080P with 120 degree lens I was not convinced it would be as good as a dedicated dash cam so did not order it. Maybe I should order one and do a review of it on here? Wonder if I could use a different/better camera?

The web site where I got my unit:
http://www.carnaviplayer.com/android-os-navigation-radio-player-for-kia-ceed-2013-p-1011
The camera:
http://www.carnaviplayer.com/car-digital-video-recorder-for-s100-s150-in-dash-head-unit-p-952

Last edited:
too bad that unit seems to be custom made for the Cee'd (or the "see apostrophe dee" as they call it on top gear). based on your description though, it does sound like it's pretty close to what i want. will have to read further on it, get specs, and see what other models they make it for, or if they make a normal double-din unit that will work in almost everything.

as for maps, you might want to try out OSMAnd. I don't know how their maps are in your area - it uses Open Street Maps - but they're pretty good here in the US, and the best part is it doesn't require an internet connection once you have downloaded the maps.

edit: looks like they do have a normal double-din unit with the same features. i hate how they don't have a regular volume knob like yours does. i absolutely despise using buttons for volume in a car stereo. i drove a scion that didn't have a knob on the head unit, and it was so slow to turn the volume down when a loud song or commercial came on. same problem in my wife's toyota sienna with steering wheel controls. the buttons are too slow to turn up or down so i always reach for the knob on the head unit.

Last edited:
The SATNAV unit I replaced my stock stereo with has most of what you want. It is Android powered and has:
AM/FM/RDS
Bluetooth with handsfree
Wi-Fi
GSM data if you get the dongle
3.5 aux in
RCA outs for rear seat monitors
2 micro SD slots, one for what ever you want: movies, music, pictures etc and another for map data for the GPS navigation; both are behind small panels
USB slot for connecting external memory storage, I believe it will read a 1 or 2 terabyte drive, there is a USB slot for Apple devices too
CD/DVD drive, I have played movies while sitting in the que at the border, I also made a CD of MP3's for my wife since I have my music on the Micro SD card
Volume control knob, tuning knob, forward and back buttons, navi button and telephone answer and hang up buttons, it also uses my steering wheel buttons
If I had it it would use a reversing cam, I could have ordered one with my unit but felt I did not need it, I can always add it later
GPS navigation, it came with iGo Pro but they did not have good maps for my location so I switched to the Android version of Navitel, works perfect
Not sure but I think mine uses a cap, when I shut the car down the unit takes a few seconds to shut down so it can restart where it left off
No built in cam but does have a microphone in the face but think it is for voice commands when doing hands free, also came with a plug in microphone but my car already had one for the stock radio so it is connected through the harness
I could have ordered a dash cam for the unit when I bought it, would have been just the front though, no dual channel. Even though they list it as 30fps and 1080P with 120 degree lens I was not convinced it would be as good as a dedicated dash cam so did not order it. Maybe I should order one and do a review of it on here? Wonder if I could use a different/better camera?

The web site where I got my unit:
http://www.carnaviplayer.com/android-os-navigation-radio-player-for-kia-ceed-2013-p-1011
The camera:
http://www.carnaviplayer.com/car-digital-video-recorder-for-s100-s150-in-dash-head-unit-p-952

I have 3y experience with those headunits. Started with S60, then S100 models, which had 720p fornt DVR. Now they added 1080p to S100 and S150 series. Back then they were based on Ambarella A2. Daytime is OK, but night was so-so. Price now is 59-67usd.

too bad that unit seems to be custom made for the Cee'd (or the "see apostrophe dee" as they call it on top gear). based on your description though, it does sound like it's pretty close to what i want. will have to read further on it, get specs, and see what other models they make it for, or if they make a normal double-din unit that will work in almost everything.

as for maps, you might want to try out OSMAnd. I don't know how their maps are in your area - it uses Open Street Maps - but they're pretty good here in the US, and the best part is it doesn't require an internet connection once you have downloaded the maps.

edit: looks like they do have a normal double-din unit with the same features. i hate how they don't have a regular volume knob like yours does. i absolutely despise using buttons for volume in a car stereo. i drove a scion that didn't have a knob on the head unit, and it was so slow to turn the volume down when a loud song or commercial came on. same problem in my wife's toyota sienna with steering wheel controls. the buttons are too slow to turn up or down so i always reach for the knob on the head unit.

Hardware on S150 is high latest, high quality, good performance ( especially sound ). The only thing I dont like is Radio GUI part stations preset / memory. ( my personal opinion ), other than that it is a good choice for after-market car multimedia player.

There are many Trading companies who resell them.

Whole range of S150 products for different cars you may find here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=s150+dvd+gps&catId=&initiative_id=SB_20140815102729

Something I had not thought of when I wrote my reply, I do not always turn the unit on when I am doing short trips around town. If I did not turn the unit on then the camera would not record; I would have to turn the unit on all the time just to get the cam to record. The cam I have, and most dedicated dash cams are auto start, so no need to do anything if you are in a hurry, it just works.

I have 3y experience with those headunits. Started with S60, then S100 models, which had 720p fornt DVR. Now they added 1080p to S100 and S150 series. Back then they were based on Ambarella A2. Daytime is OK, but night was so-so. Price now is 59-67usd.
oh that's interesting - looks like the camera itself has its own microSD card, and so the stereo is only used for playback and maybe changing settings. i can see 4 buttons on the camera, but not sure what they're for, especially with no display on the camera.

good to hear these aren't bad units. i'll start saving and maybe by christmas i can afford to buy myself one.

it's nice that they have so many front panels to look stock in various models, but my car predates all that. it's a 1998 toyota camry. it has a standard double-din opening above the climate controls.

the not recording video while off seems a bit daft, especially if the camera has its own sd card to store video on. good to know though. that said, my radio is pretty much always on, even now. i usually leave it on AUX all the time since i use my phone for media, and FM is worthless here (each station always plays the same 5 songs and 50 million adverts) and AM is only useful now and then for traffic reports (and more adverts).

The problem with an all-singing, all-dancing unit is that for everything to be decent quality, you often pay a very hefty price - and end up using almost none of the gadgets.
Also, when one part goes wrong, often everything is compromised.

[QUOTE="niko, post: 82300, The only thing I dont like is Radio GUI part stations preset / memory. ( my personal opinion ), other than that it is a good choice for after-market car multimedia player.

[/QUOTE]
I have been following the XDA forum for this head unit, I seem to remember (it is a long thread) that you are not the only one who does not like the radio setup. Someone came up with a different one but like most things some like it and some dont. I have to admit the stock interface is not the most "elegant" (or even usable) but it works well enough for me. That is the nice thing about using Android, the customization you can do. I would eventually like to install a hidden undetectable radar detector (as opposed to one hanging off the rear view mirror) and use the head unit as a remote display since several radar manufacturers make Android apps for their units.

honestly though, a device like this isn't much different from the smartphones everyone seems to have now, it's just in a different package. to me, the $400-500 price range of the units Niko linked to seems fair. beats the hell out of the $1300 my brother-in-law just paid for a name brand android head unit in his car, and it doesn't even have DVR functions at all!

good to hear the folks at XDA are on the case here. maybe we'll see some custom roms with kitkat instead of just ICS which comes stock.

The problem with an all-singing, all-dancing unit is that for everything to be decent quality, you often pay a very hefty price - and end up using almost none of the gadgets.
Also, when one part goes wrong, often everything is compromised.
The dealer wanted $1,500.00 for a SATNAV unit for my car; aftermarket units around here where not a lot cheaper and where not Android powered. I had to pay $150.00 for shipping (was only $65.00 to the states!) so was still only $650.00, less than half what the dealer wanted. The dealer unit probably runs WinCE 5 which is not even the latest version and has a lot less customization than Android. I have had very little issues with my unit, but have seen some on XDA who have, but then XDA is for people who want to hack on their units. I am running Android 2.3.4 (what came with it) and it worked out of the box perfectly, plug and play. Even though it is running Android and will do everything a phone will do I am not using some of the more "phone" apps. I have contacts on my phone so do not need it on my head unit for example. I suspect the people having problems with their units are trying to make it into an in dash phone; I just wanted a more customizable head unit, which is what I got.

I'm looking to purchase a car stereo with navigation as well as a multi channel dash cam DVR system. Logically it seems like these would be integrated, while researching I came across this 2 year old thread. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/car-stereo-dvr-all-in-one.6862/ Clearly others were thinking the same years ago but I can't seem to find where it came to fruition. I've called Crutchfield and a couple other car audio/video retailers and all tell me they've never seen anything that does both. I have absolutely no experience or knowledge in this field but I would like to use the navigation screen on the audio system as the interface of the dash cam system to cut down on the bulk of equipment and exposed wiring, without sacrificing options...multi channels, looping, storage space, parking mode, g-sensor etc. Again, no knowledge but it seems logical if dash cam units tend to get too hot mounted to the windshield (where heat from the sun is magnified) and discreet units are desired for aesthetics and theft prevention, having only small cameras mounted and using a pre-existing screen might be a solution.
Can anyone tell me if this technology is out there in a double DIN? If not, is anyone working on it? I don't want to buy something now and soon after what I've been looking for gets released. If this is a case of too many features too much to go wrong, does anyone have suggestions? I have android if using a phone app is the alternative.
Thanks in advance for any help!

HEY ! what did i say about you and thinking ? :)

What i dont get is why haven't some one made a amplifier with wifi/Bluetooth, i mean people use their phone for everything, so why not have a thing in the car you can push all your stuff to.

I would love such a thing to bury in my dashbord, all it need to have is a volume knob and the ability to splice into the original wire harness in my dashbord.
And it dont even have to be a gazillion watts, i am done with that sh,, so 50 - 60 watts is fine with me.

Though it was a regular headunit the thing Parrot ( RNB6 ) abandoned now looked good for a while, and i have seen nothing interesting that could replace it.

kamkar1 thanks for the reply...that's pretty much what I was looking for. All the hype and then they didn't release it?? That was BS!
The only other information I could find was a Pyle stereo headunit that had very poor reviews-one calling it a "pyle of poop" https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01BECUOTE and this video on YouTube showing a similar setup but I have no idea what the products or apps are
I'll keep checking back for updates should anyone know what's in the YouTube video or of any other headunits. Surely with 2017 models soon to be released, some company will have caught the train. But there I go thinking again!

You might be able to "hack" some android or windows based head units and then use a web camera or IP camera connected to it to record the footage of.
But i think its a less than optimal way of going about the "problem"

Now that the EU more or less ruin the fun of owning a quad copter / drone, then parrot may pull this project out of the drawer again, cuz i think they nixed this project to focus on the ever more popular quad copters.

I liked the look of the parrot RNB6, not least as the touch screen on my cheap ass Chinese head unit have broken down.

Joying (carjoying.com i think) makes lots of custom fit Android units as well as some regular double din units. I'm l looking at getting myself one for my "new" 2006 Toyota Rav4, and if I like it, I may get one to replace the crappy factory nav in my wife's 2008 highlander hybrid.

Way cheaper than the ones from carnaviplayer above, and apparently decent support on XDA if you're into that. DVR functions are still a bit of an afterthought but better than nothing I suppose.

No affiliation, just mentioning a product I think looks decent and is actually sold in the US on Amazon rather than alibaba or whatever

Back