Blackvue DR750LW-2CH... Killed my car battery after 2 days!!!!

cclo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys... I don't know how many people in Canada have this yet...

But I got this Camera installed and hardware to my car on September 2.... Never have a problem until yesterday.

I used my car everyday... excepted this week. I didn't go out on after Thursday Oct 16 at 7pm... and it was a short trip..... Parked my car in the garage till Saturday night (Oct 18 at 8pm) ... and my car battery die.... Couldn't start at all!!

Lucky I got those Battery Charger from Canadian Tire and able to use it to boost it.

I check the camera SD card. Show the Last Camera files was created on Oct 18 at 4:00 am in the morning. And that is just 33 hours after last time I drive my car before the camera cutoff... That suck!

This thing suppose to have a build in power monitor!!!! I already set the power monitor on that thing at 11.8V and 36 Hours cutoff time... I guess it didn't work.

I just gone and pick up a Power Magic Pro and install it.

Does anyone here have battery that killed by Blackvue? How long does you guys able to keep the camera in Parking Mode until your battery totally dead?

I have a 2013 Honda Accord, the battery is just 15 months old.... The battery shouldn't be the issue.....

Last edited:
Sounds like you had wires connected around the wrong way. If you had been doing trips every day the car may have kept going but when you left it for longer it may have run the battery flat

What power monitor are you talking about

The Blackvue 750LW have a build in battery monitor. You set it though the LCD screen. I set the cutoff voltage at 11.80 v and 36 hours. Yes, I was driving my car everyday, no problem there until this Thursday. Where I left it for 2 days.

So now, I just gone out and bought a Powermagic Pro from Blackvue and put the timer on only 12 hours and 12 V.

This constant drining and charging your battery can't be good. Now with the PowerMagic Pro, I just shutdown my camera when I park my car in the Garage at home. Lucky I live in a house not an apartment, or this parking mode is usless.

You will find its best to have it set at higher then 11.8 volts, if a battery is less then 12 volts most ecus in modern cars wont even try to start. set it to cut off at 12.2 volts minimum...

when you ccrank the car at 11.8 volts as soon as the starter kicks in it is reduced by around 10% so to 10 volts thats not enough to turn the starter motor. its also to do with amps. but volts indicates amps in a battery.

if you imagine the volts are how fast the water is flowing.
eg a mills water wheel.
so you have a nice 12 volt supply that's like the water going at 12 miles per hour and the amps are the amount of water at say 100Amps is 100 litres. its enough to start the wheel. but if you throw the water faster like 14 volts. it will turn faster due to the speed of the water. if you reduce the voltage to a trickle it will run slow if at all because a lot of water moving no where is still water. if you have 12 volts turning the wheel but only 1 amp eg one litre full then the wheel also wont turn. theres not enough to throw the wheel around it would be like trying to turn the wheel with a cat wee. fast but not much power.

Hope you understand the ? me ? logic.

Well for Blackvue product only have 2 settings on cutoff voltage, it is 11.8v or 12v. I set mine to 12 right now. Yesterday, when I get my car in my Garage. The battery wan't weak... It is all dead.

My power door lock won't even function, need to use manual key. The dome lights is LED and it is all dead. My car is Push button start.... The engine won't even try to turn.... Of course at that time the Blackvue also dead. It is like someone had removed my battery. I would expected weak batteries.... But it is complete dead.

12v is too low still

Well, I got no choices... 12V is the maximum I can put. But now, I put it for 12 hours cutoff....

This afternoon, I have the battery all charged up. After when it is done, I checked it is around 12.88V. Then I unplugged it, 4 hours in the garage, with nothing on.... No camera, just my Honda Stock Alarm system, it drop to 12.48 V; before I drove to work. Which I think it is good.

A 30 minutes drive to work... Need to work the night shift... :( After I shutoff the car. I getting 12.58V, that is when the battery is still plugged into the car.

I going to check again after my shift end... which is 10 hours from now....

some cars have a cutoff controlled by the ECU, if battery is too low the car won't start but the battery may not necessarily be flat as such

Hi all, I just went out and checked my car. My blackvue camera had shutdown, the power magic pro had done it job. It cut off the camera because my battery went to low. I checked my battery voltage... It is 12.22V and my Camera cut off.... From 12.58V to 12.22V only took little over 6 hours.

It is cold here tonight in Canada, around 3 C. And the parking mode only worked for about 6 hours....

Does this sound right to you guys? How long was you able to have your camera running on Parking Mode before it get cut off?

Thanks in advance...

cold weather your battery will show lower voltage that's normal, the 12v cutout won't be accurate, could easily be plus or minus .1, so 11.9 to 12.1, after it cuts out voltage will come up a little so it sounds consistent

Best using a 4 stage smart charger to recover a completely flattened batttery to stand a chance of it maximising its capacity... and battery age is no guarantee of condition.

I wouldnt be blaming the camera until i had tested the current it was drawing in parking mode and worked out if it was posible for it to flatten a "good" battery in the time you have "assumed" it has...

Well, I just bring my car to Honda on my way home this morning. They did a load test, and my battery is good. He said everything checked out.

So this camera only give 6 hours in Parking mode.... From now on, I only use the Parking mode when I park in a bad area. I not even going to use it at work now.

I have an aux bettery in my boot to power my cameras only the cameras and lights (strobes) it lasted about 2 days with the DR550GW but even though it tests fine now it only lasts about 18 hours then the voltage is too low to power my invereter. it beeps to tell me when its dead. it is a big battery but I now have two mini 0801 and mini 0803 cameras in there. as well as an inverter to power my chargers. so the drain is bigger.

Well for Blackvue product only have 2 settings on cutoff voltage, it is 11.8v or 12v. I set mine to 12 right now. Yesterday, when I get my car in my Garage. The battery wan't weak... It is all dead.

My power door lock won't even function, need to use manual key. The dome lights is LED and it is all dead. My car is Push button start.... The engine won't even try to turn.... Of course at that time the Blackvue also dead. It is like someone had removed my battery. I would expected weak batteries.... But it is complete dead.

To enable the battery cut off feature you need to user the 3 wire hardwiring cable, not the standard cig cable that the DR750LW comes with.

Thanks, I bought the PowerMagic Pro and put in front of my camera. I set it to 12v for now, however, I surprise that the camera only able to hold 6 hours before my PowerMagic Pro cut the power of my camera.

has anyone hard wired to the battery of the vehicle?
any steps of how to do it

There are dozens of threads on here about how to use a Power Magic which is what you need to do it.

Also depends on whether you want parking mode or not.

Do a search on installing power magic or hardwiring dashcam.

Am not going to type it all up again Its there with pictures and all

I have the camera for about 2 weeks now. The parking mode is working just fine in my condo parkade. In the first week, I was worried the parking mode might drain the battery so I kept checking the recording the next morning. The camera did turn on from 6-20 times with each one minute recording depends on how busy the traffic in the parking that night. I had set it to 12 hours and 12V so it did turn off completely in 12 hours if I left the car over 12 hours.

To enable the battery cut off feature you need to user the 3 wire hardwiring cable, not the standard cig cable that the DR750LW comes with.
Is this really true? Where can I get that cable if so? The user guide makes no mention of it and they don't have this cable on the us blackvue website.

Right now, I have a rechargeable battery under the seat and hook up the camera to that. No more issue. I also replaced my car's battery to yellow top. My old battery is killed by the camera.

Back