Dead RTC=useless DVR

Not-Exist

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hello folks,

I have v1 a119.
Few months ago ive noticed that the time and date restarts.

Well time and date that restarting isnt big issue, but the main issue is that the dvr doesn't erase old files when that hepens because the new file is older than the old file.

I tryed to contact with @viofo , but no luck with him, he just stopped to respond to my messages.

I dont understand why this dvr cant work like g1wc.
If g1wc reset its date, the dvr is recording as normal and erase the oldest files.

The bigest problem is that the dvr isnt warn the user that there is problem with the recording and it actually act like normal and record, it just erase the new recorded file all over and over again.

I think you shuld know, if the dvrs RTC battery will die, the dvr will be useless.
2447f85a8360b86a61724ab021f7d691.jpg

f31912085246aefc4c706ae6e66140d3.jpg

Last edited:
Did you pull the battery up? That's not how they normally look.

Ofcorce, i pulled it to show the corrosion on the battery.

Last edited:
Corrosion? Are you referring to the blackish looking stuff? Kinda looks like burn marks from soldering.

No, white corrosion on the minus of the battery.
9e0fb707ef26329a5504d7e57d2a6a01.jpg

Not solved 100%,
The problem can hit me in the future, there is no indication that somthing wrong with the camera exept time and date that restarting.

It can happen anytime and when ill truly will need the photage, it wouldn't be there.

Also it would be nice to redesign it and include easy change battery housing as the pc motherboard manufacturers do.

By the way, same problem with the viofo a118c.

thanks for bringing attention to this issue. at the very least, I do hope that there is a future firmware fix that will let the camera overwrite the oldest file regardless if the RTC battery is dead. heck maybe even if that fix is to let the camera default to a date way into the future should the RTC battery die.

Just replied the PM.

Due to too busy for 2 action cams project, PM is not replied on time, sorry for that.

Very strange answer because it's pure SW issue and can be solved in 5 minutes like it's done for G1W :
G1W creates file names with a running number before date (001+date; 002+date etc.), thus oldest file name will be always a file with smallest number;
A118 creates file names with a running number after date (date+_001; date+_002 etc.) thus "oldest" file name will be with "earlier" date, and when time/date resets to default, every new 2016_xx will be deleted before old 2017_xx ;

I'm sure that it's not big effort to change file names convention and to fix the bug.
Anyway it's very important info that all A118/119 users must check time/date everyday. Thank You @Not-Exist

Thank you eddiel, sounds like great solution.
Lets wait to @viofo respond .

IMO even sound and visual alert when RTC date resets to default 20016-01-01 will be enough, so the user can at least to delete old files or format SD card, and the DVR will be usable for few hours.

Honestly, how much time a dvr's RTC battery can survive at normal conditions incar use.
Lets say year, year and a half the most, what than?

My g1wc work's like new, it 3 years old maby more!
And yes i can live without RTC battery with g1w erasing file system.

Anybody here will buy dvr that he know it will be useless in year and half (most likely sooner)?

Im sure every user that will be aware about this problem will choose dvr without rtc /gps firmware.

We talking about capacitor dvr's here, it shuld resist high heat and greater lifespan than dvrs powered by battary.

This small RTC none sense can make this dvr useless in no time, you wouldn't even notice.

The most upsetting part is that its gonna be pain in the as* to swap this battery, not ever user can do it by himself.

users will throw it to the garbage, just because they wouldn't know what cause the accident video to disappear.

I want/wish, that this post will move some screws at viofos tech department.
I sure that they doing the best they can, sometimes best isn't enoth.

Just dont give to this post to die, until there will be solution.

P.s
Viofo was kind and asked me to send my dvr for testings for exchange ill get new dvr and shipping returns.

Anyway, i already cut the rtc battery from both the dvrs, so it will be useless to viofo.

Righ now im not sure when or if ill add to it rtc battery.
(dont have soldering station and rtc battery)

Yep, thats sad.
They can make separate software update for users that dont want to trust RTC battery and can live without the GPS.
They just dont want to.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A119 14
Not-Exist A119 14
Not-Exist A119 13
Back