Stealth & Plain Black Front Dash Cam

NorthStar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys

I am into having a stealth and hard(er) to notice front dash cam, but Blackvue is definitely very bad in that since they have lots of text printed on the front of the camera and shinny golden ring around the lens!

The question is, did anyone try or have any idea about covering all that and having a plain black camera?

Either a temporary solution that could be taken off once you decide to sell the camera, or a permanent one. Both are fine with me

Any thoughts?

IMG_7675.jpg

Black vinyl insulating tape over the text does me. Paint the gold ring with mat black paint. Simples.

And get a blendmount which mounts to the rear view mirror eliminating the visible pittasoft branding on the flat part of the blackvue mount. It also eliminates the need for any adhesive on the windshield. I have one installed in my car with my dr750.

Sharpie isn't UV safe, will fade to purple and then go transparent after a few weeks in the sun

I take it your windscreen doesn’t UV filter?

For clarity; Whilst strictly correct - we call almost all permanent markers Sharpies but you could use a Black Paint marker, a touch up pen for a black car, electrical tape etc all to good effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

no it doesn't

For clarity; Whilst strictly correct - we call almost all permanent markers Sharpies but you could use a Black Paint marker, a touch up pen for a black car, electrical tape etc all to good effect.

a black paint marker would be the better option, electrical tape turns to goo after a while

My tape has crinkled, but is still on it.

Another option instead of tape is a strip of “wrap”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just the job if you have some, but I can buy 5 rolls of black insulating tape for £1 in the pound shop.
Look good in black carbon fibre wrap though. You have given me an idea.:)
Might exacerbate the overheating problem though.:(

Just so you know the word Blackvue on the camera end is not just advertising It is used as an indicator of the angle of the lens

Usually two clicks down at the front is the right orientation to get 1/3 sky 2/3 of what you really want.

How many knew that.

I coloured mine with a black marker. It stayed covered for years until I bought a new camera.

If you’re not worried about a permanent fix you could always use a small ‘glass-fibre pencil stick’ to rub away the lettering. I did this with my previous camera to good effect.
Just remember not to breath in any of the ‘fibre dust’ that you will probably get !.

Just the job if you have some, but I can buy 5 rolls of black insulating tape for £1 in the pound shop.
Look good in black carbon fibre wrap though. You have given me an idea.:)
Might exacerbate the overheating problem though.:(
How about using some real carbon fibre? Carbon is highly heat conductive, you could even build in some cooling fins and end up with improved cooling!

How about using some real carbon fibre? Carbon is highly heat conductive, you could even build in some cooling fins and end up with improved cooling!

Considering carbon fibre is an effective shield against RF, Wi-fi and GPS signals, I’m not sure that would be a good idea !.

Rubbing alcohol will remove most printed inks like this. However, alcohol can alter the finish (dull) of some plastics.

Thanks guys for all of the creative ideas!

I think glass-fibre pencil as permanent solution, and plastidip as a temporary solution could have the best results with zero side effects anytime in far future

Thanks guys for all of the creative ideas!

I think glass-fibre pencil as permanent solution, and plastidip as a temporary solution could have the best results with zero side effects anytime in far future
A fine ScotchPad will give a better finish than a glass-fibre pencil, probably faster too.

A fine ScotchPad will give a better finish than a glass-fibre pencil, probably faster too.

I think it will leave some fine scratches though?

Not sure if glass fibre pencil will leave scratches behind or not

Back