Hands on 808 #26 the smallest 1080p camera

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
The 808 #26 is the next keychain style version of the famous 808 cameras which until now were prepared for maximum 720p recordings and their greatest versions were 808 #18 and 808 #16 which can be found on ebay for about $40.
But the previous 720p cameras were not prepared so well as Car DVR recorders because missing some features like Auto-Start recording when charger detected (starting the car engine).

Now with the 808 #26 we have more:
- 1080p H264 at 30FPS (also 720p@60fps and 720p@30fps)
- better CMOS: OV2710 which means better image also in low light condition
- Auto-Start and Auto-Stop recording when starting the car engine
- customizable user screen text, up to 16 characters. Look here.

A future version will have wide lens.

For car use the camera have a small detachable mount.

More accesorries available.

More pictures here.

You can buy this camera from official ebay stores: hxelepro360, power-gps, beetleonline, eletech086, internet-shop365, powerdigital898, or from other online stores like FoxOffer.com. The $100 is an international price so check in your country if you have some seller which is selling the camera for the same price which means for you short shipping time and no taxes.

enjoy,
Mtz

To be continued...

Attachments

• 808 #26 camera.jpg
    808 #26 camera.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 1,997
  • 808 #26 accessories.jpg
    808 #26 accessories.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 1,997
  • 808 #26 car mount.jpg
    808 #26 car mount.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 1,996
Last edited:
Re: Hands on 808 #26 the smallest 1080p camera for $100

Setting the camera.

The setout tool can be downloaded here.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• GUI.jpg
    GUI.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,994
I have an 808 #16 and would have considered this camera as an upgrade, but the thing that bugs me is why did they go for a non standard USB port?

Many cameras in the world have special connectors.
The #18 camera have a smart cable because, compared to #16, the video out was enabled by the special pinout connectors. The advantage was that the #18 was saving more power than the #16 because the video out was enabled only when the AV cable was connected. Also the #18 connection is more firmly than the standard mini USB connector used by #16 and I have a special setup for my car which was better because of this.
But I agree, if the camera was using a normal cable was better for us. But we are lucky because these cables are not very expensive compared to big branded cameras and the user must to order from the start the needed cables and maybe a spare cable.

For $100, at least the ebay sellers should include all needed cables: USB data cable, USB charger cable, AV Cable and the car mount.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
For $100, at least the ebay sellers should include all needed cables: USB data cable, USB charger cable, AV Cable and the car mount.

You're right they should include at least a 3M long UC-E6 USB Cable for dash cam use. Not easy to find one that is that long.

Added the youtube review.

enjoy,
Mtz

Gurkha9 said:
I have an 808 #16 and would have considered this camera as an upgrade, but the thing that bugs me is why did they go for a non standard USB port?

You are right, the USB port used on the #26 is a disgrace.

The upgrade for the 808 #16 is the Mobius, which is from the same developer who created the #16. It is much, much more superior to the #26 in every respect and even costs less!! Weight is about the same, design/size is different - I find it better for dashcam use, but that's a personal opinion.
Advantages: Much superior video quality because of larger lens, much longer recording times than the #26, standard mini USB, perfect as a dashcam because the camera will correctly turn on and off when the ignition switch is turned on/off, no button presses needed, many more parameter settings than the #26, photo mode (which is missing in the #26), power-on video-mode can be configured by the user (i.e. 720p or 1080p + frame rate). Much easier to operate than the #26 and even has a second recording LED to show the driver the camera is recording. There are too many other advantages to list here.
Disadvantages: No audio when in webcam mode.

Mtz's excellent introduction video of the #26 clearly shows the chaos of all the different cables. Operating the #26 is also not very logical.

1. I am sure Mobius will have its own thread, where to discuss about it more.
2. I don't know how are you sure about the great quality and specs of a camera which is not released yet on the market. I am not saying about samples or engineering models.

The #16 will have also separate and special cables to enable the Video Out function, even is micro USB style. The idea of enabling video out depending on cable pinout is taken for the #18 idea. Lucky, the Mobius have the same pinout for video cable as the USB OTG cable.

The #26 will have in the future wide lens and will be inside the camera, so the camera will still remain a small camera which can be used still for its main purpose: spy camera. You can't use Mobius in this way.

I hope after the Mobius will be released on the market to have a dedicated thread about #26 vs. Mobius.

the camera will correctly turn on and off when the ignition switch is turned on/off
The #26 is working perfect regarding this. Just must be used the charger cable which is supposed to be used in the car. I don't see a reason to use the same cable, for example the USB data cable in the car. This cable must stay where the PC is, not in the car, connected with the camera.

I hope this thread to be not transformed in attack the #26 and always praise the other camera like is happening many times on other forum.
But the truth must be said to help forum users and readers.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
1. I am sure Mobius will have its own thread, where to discuss about it more.
2. I don't know how are you sure about the great quality and specs of a camera which is not released yet on the market. I am not saying about samples or engineering models.

The #16 will have also separate and special cables to enable the Video Out function, even is micro USB style. The idea of enabling video out depending on cable pinout is taken for the #18 idea. Lucky, the Mobius have the same pinout for video cable as the USB OTG cable.

The #26 will have in the future wide lens and will be inside the camera, so the camera will still remain a small camera which can be used still for its main purpose: spy camera. You can't use Mobius in this way.

I hope after the Mobius will be released on the market to have a dedicated thread about #26 vs. Mobius.

the camera will correctly turn on and off when the ignition switch is turned on/off
The #26 is working perfect regarding this. Just must be used the charger cable which is supposed to be used in the car. I don't see a reason to use the same cable, for example the USB data cable in the car. This cable must stay where the PC is, not in the car, connected with the camera.

I hope this thread to be not transformed in attack the #26 and always praise the other camera like is happening many times on other forum.
But the truth must be said to help forum users and readers.

enjoy,
Mtz

I didn't mean to upset you and was simply replying to a post where the original user was under the impression the #26 was an update from the #16 - which it certainly isn't.
I may have bought a Mobius sample or engineering model as you put it, I don't know, and I really don't care because the camera works really great. I agree the Mobius is not a spy camera, but this thread is about dashcams and not spy cameras, so it's irrelevant anyway. I also stated very clearly that the Mobius has a larger lens so I think it's obvious the #26 is better for spying purposes, but not so good for quality video and low-light conditions. I have already sold my #26 after only a few days of disappointment, so don't worry I won't have more to say here. I also only tried to warn the original poster about making the same mistake as I did. I believe people have the right to know the truth.

I am not upset because I am not selling this camera and I have no advantage if this camera is sold or not. I just want the truth.
If you have both cameras the best for users is to record in same conditions and upload the videos to let everybody to see the differences. In this way we are helping more the users, more than words.

enjoy,
Mtz

The idiots don't ship it with the car charger cable (basic camera only auction.. the camera comes only with the USB PC cable).
They also don't have a separate auction for this cable.
Is there any way to tell the two cables apart when you have them to hand?
Madness, esp. when it's advertised for car use.

Same story for the AV cable, buy the Full Bhuna item on eBay (13 pcs including bike mount etc.) or no AV cable unless you setup a private Paypal sale with the manufacturer.

Jazzist said:
The idiots don't ship it with the car charger cable (basic camera only auction.. the camera comes only with the USB PC cable).
They also don't have a separate auction for this cable. Is there any way to tell the two cables apart when you have them to hand?

I believe one is round and the other a flat cable.

Flat cable should be for in car charging. There is pics in this thread of this cable so you could make one of your own leaving only two cables.
Edit: theres a pic, for autostart you need a cable with only pin 1 (-GND) and pin 8 (+5V)
e9ezu9em.jpg

vyradequ.jpg

y7aty4e3.jpg

Mtz said:
In my experience, no, it doesn't work perfectly for me.
It starts up on receiving power only half of the time that I give it power (using the supplied USB adapter and cable in a car).

Until now it was autostarting every time for me. But not used very very much.
Will be available a firmware which is enabling auto-start also for the AV cable.
And in some days a new Setout Tool.

Is nice to not see macroblocks in this hard recording:

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the car charge cable at last, cannot believe they don't include this with the camera, that's absolutely stupid.

I also got the waterproof box, the camera rattles around inside this box like a willy in a sock. I have a fix for this which is a self adhesive rubber foot on the lid of the box at the back of the camera to pin it down, I will post a pic.

The manufacturer desperately needs a proper website. Hosting on sendspace and no version information with file(s) is simply not acceptable. Look at the DR32 debacle where nobody knows if they have the latest firmware or not. Lukas show how it should be done. It's unprofessional.

Massive oversights aside.. it's a lovely little camera, takes superb quality videos :D

I took it cycling last weekend.. I didn't have the bike mount at this time and simply velcroed it to the handlebars so it rattled around allot. Even so I could see the amazing night performance as I cycled through long and old railway tunnels. The lighting on the video was brighter than it actually was.

I haven't tried it in the car yet but I would say it is a perfect car camera. Brilliant size. If they could get a g sensor and GPS in (maybe via a plug in module the same size as the camera that you leave in your car) the next model it would be perfect.

I have a #26 enroute (should be here in about a week). Does the flashing LED go out after a few cycles during recording or does it continue to flash throughout the recording process?
On my #20 the flashing LED goes out after a few flashes.

The LED is always flashing. Of course you can disable from the Setout tool. You can easy know when the camera is recording because it is becoming hot during recording. So if you can touch the camera there is no need for LED. :cool:

enjoy,
Mtz

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Scott

Even seems to be offtopic, I added a video about the waterproof case.

I remember some australian forum user want to put the camera outside the car so the waterproof case can be an option for him. Also for bikers.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Back