dash cam catches old man jumping in front of moving car, can such videos stand up in US courts?

T

twoscoops

dash cam catches old man jumping in front of moving car, can such videos stand up in US courts?

the video is probably from China? I used Google to translate it and the old man apparently just waited on the side of the road... then jumped... he obviously wanted to get money from the driver... fortunately, the driver had a dash cam installed

what's even funnier is that the police ended up giving the old man a jaywalking ticket!!! :)

This is another reason there are so many dash cams in Russia- lots of videos of people jumping in front of cars in order to get a quick buck. I think video like this would prove innocence (for the driver) in a US court.

The video becomes evidence. In the case of this video it's clear that the driver did nothing wrong.

The video becomes evidence. In the case of this video it's clear that the driver did nothing wrong.

Agreed, and without the video, it sure would be hard after the fact to prove the driver didn't hit the "victim". The witness walking out from around the parked vehicle on the right would only see the car backing up.

Anyone see these staged accidents in North America?

Anyone see these staged accidents in North America?

I have not seen it in person, but the local TV station has reported it
numerous times in the past. (Washington, DC metro area, which
includes MD and NoVA)

Most of these are three cars boxing someone in to create fake accidents....
and sometimes pedestrians walking into busy street on purpose. I think
insurance fraud is a worldwide problem. For this reason, I think the
insurance industry should push the government into making dash cams
mandatory on vehicles. There is a big push now to make rearview back-up
cameras mandatory.... they should probably get front dash cams into the
same legislation. To please privacy advocates, the cameras can have an
on-off switch so the car owner can be allowed to switch them off. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not China, Taiwan maybe, dashcam uptake there is amongst the highest per capita anywhere due to this type of insurance fraud

Wait? I thought Taiwan was a province of China? :oops: (Google Translate translated it as "Taiwan, Province of China" when I asked it to translate that YouTube page) My co-workers who immigrated from Taiwan always called themselves "Chinese" and got extremely angry when I called them "Taiwanese" recently.... :(

Taiwan is under the impression that they own China but they are letting the Chinese live there, they are independent countries though with the occasional hostility between them

That video would exonerate the driver in a US courtroom. In fact, it would not reach the courtroom.

Back