Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

raitchison

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I was looking at a Mini 0803 off of eBay from Foxoffer (https://www.ebay.com/itm/400801042044) and I wanted to make sure that this unit is the "improved" one that has the better GPS mount and the heat sink since those seem to be the two biggest complaints people have with this unit.

I asked the seller via eBay and their response wasn't really helpful due to the language barrier. I asked:

Is this the newest model with the improved GPS mount and heat sink?

I have read reviews on this unit and a common complaint is that the original mount does not hold the unity securely and results in shaky video.

Also there are many reports from people in hot climates that the unit overheats and can even melt the case.

Supposedly there is a newer revision with an improved GPS mount and a heat sink to address both of these issues. I want to make sure that I get that model.

And they responded:

Thanks for your message,this item only Last one limit,if you need please order asap.

Or you can buy this 0805 new item:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/400798342690

Now while they didn't answer my question at all I was curious about the 0805 unit they linked. There is basically no info on that unit out there right now but based on the improvements from the 0801 to the 0803 that it seems likely that the 0805 is better. It does offer more video modes including 2304x1296x30p and 720p60 video (the latter looks interesting to me)

Now one would expect that the improvements made to the 0803, namely the more secure mount and the better heat handling would be incorporated in the newer unit but maybe that's not a good assumption to make.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks in advance

What are everyone's thoughts?
Let's see if I can help here.
First off billknow is the speaks for FoxOffer here. He might be able to talk about theirs more specifically.

While mine is not from FoxOffer i'll try to address some of your other questions.
Since you are located in the USA you might want to look into SpyTec They sell the 0803 and are based out of NY

My 0803 was from GearBest and I have not hand any problems with it. I did not receive the newer mount, but after I got it I talked to them and they said that all new orders would come with the new mount.

They also have a different heat sink then others that looks like this.
168ed21.jpg

Also here is a thread about one Mini over heating.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 0805 is the replacement for the 0803, all the suppliers will soon run out of 0803s so I would choose the 0805 although it currently has no track record so although it may be improved with all the faults of the 0803 fixed, it may have new faults, only time will tell, but at least it will have support into the future while the 0803 is unlikely to have further updates...

Having said that, I would wait for the Mini 0806 which is definitely significantly improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having said that, I would wait for the Mini 0806 which is definitely significantly improved.
I second this. I meant to tack this on to the end of my post. If you can wait the 0806 is a nice improvement so far. I do like the case a lot more then the 0803

If you don't have a dash cam yet, get one as soon as you can. You never know what you might be able to record. I recommend against waiting for the Mini 0806 since there is still no definite timeframe as to when it'll be available.

For the improved Mini 0803 mount, we always have it in stock at BlackBoxed.ca.

Kelvin

If you don't have a dash cam yet, get one as soon as you can.
If you don't have anything at all by all means to get something sooner then later. Maybe grab a G1W and then when something you are looking towards comes out you can always move the G1W in the back or in another car and buy an 0805/0806.

0803 0805 0806 .jpg

For sure 0806 will have the best cooling system from all Mini series and you can see the heatsink through the front holes.

Both 0805 and 0806 are using the same chipset and almost same firmware. The quality of videos are the same based on chipset and firmware, but can be different because of lens.
0806 have:
- only HDMI output
- two external cards
- 135° lens with nice clear white light of streets lights during night recording (great!)
- brighter display
- 3 separate LEDs for camera functions
- better sound
- much more case holes for better cooling
- magnetic ring for CPL lens easy mounting
- windshield mount with two micro USB connectors (top an bottom) for easy camera mount for right and left drivers

0805 have:
- HDMI and AV output
- one external card
- 120° lens with almost natural color light of streets lights during recording and car number plates can be more visible because of narrower angle compared to 0806
- darker display
- one case hole with 2 LEDs for camera functions

enjoy,
Mtz

Back