Dashcam that can be used as reverse camera?

niKoGran

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi,

Does anyone know about dual dash camera that
can be used as a reverse camera aswell?
At the moment Im using the l1000,
I wish for dashcam that I can set that the rear view
will be the default on camera start.
Is there anything like that :]?

Thanks!

Reversing camera needs to be mounted fairly low, near the licence plate, dashcam is best mounted high, reversing camera only requires very low resolution, dashcam wants HD resolution.

It sounds a good idea to combine them but it's not worth compromising given the very low price of a cheap reversing camera that will do a perfectly good job.

Yes, and there should be bigger display also i think.

I got now the l1000,
I mounted the rear camera near the licence plate.
(my rear camera is the small water proof, the not rotating one).
All works well, I can use the camera as a reverse when needed,
It is not that good for recording though, it has low resolution and
wide angle, so if I wish to see licence plate of the car behind me,
It will only happen in daytime, if the driver is right behind me :]
What I don't like about that dashcam, is that the front, and the rear,
resolution isn't high, and that I can't set the rear view as a default
when I turn on the camera.
Oh and one more thing that realy bothering me,
I can't mirror the rear view :D

Added an snapshot from rear camera sample...

Attachments

• 20141111_080025B.mov_snapshot_00.49_[2014.11.15_10.52.42].jpg
    20141111_080025B.mov_snapshot_00.49_[2014.11.15_10.52.42].jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 32
On the motorhome i have duel reverse cameras with 7 inch mirror mount tft...

both are mounted 3 meters off the ground, one looking back at the road that gives me a rear view all the time while driving and one that gives me a view of my rear bumper and 4 meters behind for using to park.

On my civic i have the same tft on all the time while driving and just one camera in the rear window below the stupid spoiler that blocks all useful rear vision with distance lines on.

Cameras do not need to be low down, they need to simply give a view that is optimal for reversing !!

Regarding dashcams as a revearsing aid, I was under the impression the AV out was capable of sending a picture to a tft whilst still recording - problem solved.?

Cameras do not need to be low down, they need to simply give a view that is optimal for reversing !!
I think that depends on the car, on my hatchback with a Mini 0803 mounted at the top of the fairly gently sloping rear window at rear view mirror height, the bottom of the image is limited by the end of the tailgate so the view for reversing is not much better than the view from the standard rear view mirror, just a slightly better angle being further back in the car but I imagine a current generation Civic where the tailgate glass is fairly steep and the tailgate then drops down vertically just behind the glass would have a reasonable view for reversing from the top of the glass.

I prefer to mount the rear camera outside the car,
I got a sedan and as you said the spoiler is blocking everything :]
and I didn't understand, what camera are you using :D?

Just a normal tiny reversing camera on the civic and 2 bigger ones with good night vision leds on the motorhome...

outside mounted on the motorhome , inside on the civic but either way after rain i have to remember to clean the window or the outside lens's !

My reversing camera is flush mounted between two centre parking sensors on the rear bumper - gives me a perfect view of what is otherwise obscured by the car, the rear dashcam is on top of the tailgate, between the glass and sun blind - completely different FOV and purpose. Wouldn't want to either one of them to assume the function of the other.

Last edited:
The Panorama G has a video in that could probably be used as a backup camera viewer / dashcam combo.

dSwjEKc.png

This 600cm/20ft cable is included with all Panorama G's as well:

I've yet to hear any customers try using it for this purpose yet but could be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back