G90C (A7LA70) vs Mini 0806 (A7LA50) Daytime Comparison

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
OK I dusted off the G90C and finally got around to a side by side of these two cameras.

Pricing:
G90C: The G90C is available from JooVuu in the UK now priced at £79.99 with the GPS module.
0806: The Mini 0806 is not yet released and I do not know at this time what the retail price will be.

Settings:
Both cameras have been configured as close as possible - as a quick overview:
Resolution: 2560x1080 30fps
Quality: Super Fine (Highest Bitrate)
AE Metering Mode: Center

Dewarp is not configurable on these cameras so is on for the G90C and off for the 0806.

Firmware Versions:
The latest firmwares for each camera were used - these are as follows at time of writing:
G90C GPS: 785
Mini 0806: 141128

Bitrate (2560x1080):
G90C:
Average 18Mbps, Peak 23.5Mbps
upload_2014-12-2_13-17-36.png

0806: Average 20Mbps, Peak 24Mbps
upload_2014-12-2_13-16-33.png

Video:
Here's a side by side video of the two - Mini 0806 at the top and G90 at the bottom:

Pictures:
: 0806
Bottom: G90C

You can see from the screenshots below that the G90C is just ever so slightly sharper than the 0806 I have and this is highly likely due to manufacturing tolerances (they're both pretty sharp!).

Last edited:
Looking at the second image at x2, Mini 0806 on the left:

Mini0806_G90.jpg

The G90 has far more false colour, the 0806 is has a much cleaner image.

The G90 appears to have bent/rippled what is presumably an almost straight number plate - is that what de-warp does?

The G90 is maybe slightly sharper but it has used more artificial sharpening and the plate on the 0806 image is a lot closer to the edge of the image making it harder to get a sharp image and resulting in more dash reflection at that point (the CPL works best in the centre of the image).

Because the Mini 0806 has less artificial sharpening etc, it is easier to clean it's images up in a video/image editor:

Mini0806_G90_b.jpg

They are quite close, but I'd rather not have all that false colour.

That ripple is actually the edges of my windscreen - you only really see those imperfections at the corners with really wide angle lenses - I'd never noticed it before but you can see it when you look out at the same angle.

The A118 used to pick up on it as well - it's quite strange seeing some of the videos - it's the same in the rear and that gets some proper deformities due to the rounded shape of the glass.

Both cameras have oversharpening - it's a shame Novatek don't have a chip that supports the higher resolutions as they currently seem to generate some of the cleanest images I've seen from any dashcam.

It's hard for the engineers as they have to try and make it as easy as possible for everyone to get the details they need - here's another example from above:

G90C:
upload_2014-12-2_16-55-6.png
0806:
upload_2014-12-2_16-54-26.png

With all the will in the world you're not going to get anything really useful from that second picture.

A lot of the time it just looks like compression artifacts from what they see as they were placed side by side - if you ran two 0806s or two G90s side by side you'd probably see the same different results due to different angles of light and placement etc.

The pictures show they both perform at the same sort of level though - with the Mini having the more discrete (and hopefully more durable) package. I think the Mini will sell more purely because of the form factor but it does show that Dome have had a very capable camera out there for quite a few months - it just maybe needs work around packaging it for the Western market who want discrete instead of in your face chrome.

Here's a side by side video of the two - Mini 0806 at the top and G90 at the bottom:

@reverend, as to Mini 0806 retail price,you may refer to Joovuu.com or Joovuu.com/us, both website has started presales yesterday and estate end of Dec,will start the shipping.

Thank you very much for the detailed comparison. How can I find latest firmware of G90C?

You should ask the reseller of the camera first - who did you buy from and do you have GPS or no GPS?

Thanks for the detail comparison.
For the firmware for GS90C, it is a new camera, I think there is no upgrade firmware, but no problem for us to share the firmware in future when there is a newer version.

Thank you very much for the detailed comparison. How can I find latest firmware of G90C?
If you bought from Joovuu.com and it is G90 (A7L70 with GPS),then you may download the GPS software and firmware from our website,
we stock newest G90
If you may consider to buy some Non- GPS car dvr models for 2015 year,below it is a very very cheap price,this special offer will be very very low,do not miss it:
https://www.joovuu.com/gb/home/174-shadow-gt680w-car-camera.html
Special offer!Shadow GT680W 1920X1080P,30FPS Novatek 96650 Dash Camera
GPS,we could also get it for you,but will means more charges,you may talk with support center if you may have interests.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
reverend Side by Side Comparison 23
Back