2014DEC28 -- Any comparison >< Mobius V3 & Innovv C3

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius--Wide Angle--V3
I am interested in buying a dash cam. For my purposes the Mobius V3 and Innovv C3 seem to be a good balance between cost/performance.

For me a dashcam needs to be/have:

• Picture and resolution good enough to pick out details such as license plate information.
  • discrete. I do not want to be obvious to casual observers that I am using a dashcam.
  • Date and time stamp
  • Auto on/off -- The unit can turn on/off automatically with the car.
  • Loop recording
  • Decent picture quality at night or when dark (I should be able to see enough detail within 10m of car)

Has anyone compared these two dash cams (action cams) side by side? I have seen the older Mobius vs. Innovv C1 comparisons, but I am interested in seeing an updated comparison using current (latest) versions of the Mobius and Innovv.

Looking at the specs from Mobius and Innovv:
Mobius V3
Battery: Rechargeable LIPO Battery (820mah),

with Battery Charger Manage IC
Video: 1080P 30FPS FULL HD,
720P 60FPS,
720P 30FPS HD
H.264/AVC1 video codec,
selectable file format.
Memory: microSD card slot, supports up to 32GB
(some 64 & 128GB cards), must use Class 4 or above.
Bit-rate: 18Mbp
Cables: USB2.0, plug and play, easy connection with computers,

no driver needed.
Size: Super mini size, only around 61mm (L) x 35mm (W) x18mm (H)
FOV: Narrow Lens -- 86 degrees (1080p) / 46 degrees (720p)

Wide Lens -- 116 degrees (1080p) / 63 degrees (720p)
Innovv C3:
Battery: Rechargeable LIPO Battery (700mah),
Video: 1080P 30FPS FULL HD,

720P 60FPS,
Bit-rate: Average 15Mbps
Memory: microSD card slot, supports up to 32GB
Cables: USB2.0 Size: Super mini size, only around 62mm (L) x 39mm (W) x18mm (H)
FOV: Narrow Lens -- 90 degrees

Wide Lens -- 120 degrees

Both cameras appear to be similar in specs. I am more interested in the Wider angle version of each camera. (116° Mobius and 120° Innovv)

Costs for both seem similar as well:
Mobius V3 w/32GB card:~$140 USD
Innov C3 w/32GB card: ~$170 USD

Another question I have is if there is any significant difference between using a Capacitor vs. Lithium battery. I would primarily use the dash cam in the mid-Atlantic states of the USA. Winters usually do not get colder than 14°F (-10°C) and summers are usually less than 100°F (38°C).

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful responses.

Sincerely,

Anthony

Yeah but the 100°F is normally mesured outside in the shade, a car parked in the sun will get lipo battery killing hot even further north like Denmark is, there is not doubt a capcsitor is the way to go for dashcam use.
The battery in the mobius can be replaced with capacitors, witch is normally a 8 dollar addon for the little action/dashcamera.

I have both cameras and i love them both, and though i have not compared them side by side i do belive the mobius with the wide "B" lens have a little better night performance.

Regarding the morbius you might wanna consider a smaller kit if you do not need all those attachments and wires, the bare bone wide version is some 80 dollars.
If you plan on use a suction cup mount it more or less ruin one of the mobius main forces ( its size )
With a little DYI and just the camera you can make a pretty stelthy install, depending on your car offcourse, some just need a little pice of dubelsided tape and they are good to go.

My own mobius is kept in place on the bare frame of my rear hatch with a neoydium magnet and a pice of sheet metal bend to give me the right angle out the window.

Last edited:
You can see my beta mount here, its the same now aside from i just use a magnet and some bend sheetmetal taped to the camera to make it easy to take out of the car to get footage of the camera.
The little SD card is a pain to work with, so i bring the whole camera with me when i need to get stuff off it.
Allso the same thread contain many mobius DYI install in a range of cars / places, well worth a view.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-14

Last edited by a moderator:
Kamkar1,

Thank you for your response.

Your mobius install on the rear hatch was nice engineering. :)

If I understand you correctly: You are stating that the suction cup will eventually damage the mobius unit.

For a Mobius installation, I would probably need at minimum:

Mobius Wide Angle V3 1080p unit (about $82)
Mounting kit (about $14)
16Gb Kingston microSD class 10 (about $8) (32Gb is about $16)
Supercapacitor (about $8)

About $112 ($120) in total (This is better than what I originally thought.)

If I tried similar with Innovv C3:

Innovv C3 (120° w/supercapacitor) (about $140)

About $148 ($156)

Thanks for getting me thinking. I'll look at some of those installations. Perhaps I'll find something to suit my purposes.

Yeah but the 100°F is normally mesured outside in the shade, a car parked in the sun will get lipo battery killing hot even further north like Denmark is, there is not doubt a capcsitor is the way to go for dashcam use.
The battery in the mobius can be replaced with capacitors, witch is normally a 8 dollar addon for the little action/dashcamera.

I have both cameras and i love them both, and though i have not compared them side by side i do belive the mobius with the wide "B" lens have a little better night performance.

Regarding the morbius you might wanna consider a smaller kit if you do not need all those attachments and wires, the bare bone wide version is some 80 dollars.
If you plan on use a suction cup mount it more or less ruin one of the mobius main forces ( its size )
With a little DYI and just the camera you can make a pretty stelthy install, depending on your car offcourse, some just need a little pice of dubelsided tape and they are good to go.

My own mobius is kept in place on the bare frame of my rear hatch with a neoydium magnet and a pice of sheet metal bend to give me the right angle out the window.

I'm pretty sure he is saying, with the suction cup mount you are losing the stealth aspect of the camera. (Makes it bulky)
Kamkar1,

Thank you for your response.

Your mobius install on the rear hatch was nice engineering. :)

If I understand you correctly: You are stating that the suction cup will eventually damage the mobius unit.

For a Mobius installation, I would probably need at minimum:

Mobius Wide Angle V3 1080p unit (about $82)
Mounting kit (about $14)
Supercapacitor (about $8)

About $112 ($120) in total (This is better than what I originally thought.)

If I tried similar with Innovv C3:

Innovv C3 (120° w/supercapacitor) (about $140)

About $148 ($156)

Thanks for getting me thinking. I'll look at some of those installations. Perhaps I'll find something to suit my purposes.

Rick77,

Thanks for the clarification. Your comment makes what Kamkar1 wrote more understandable to me.

Thanks,

Anthony

discrete. I do not want to be obvious to casual observers that I am using a dashcam.
hv8cvr.jpg

Bumper mounted C3. The only one will notice is your mechanic.

CheckYourLights,

That is discrete. ;) Do you have any concerns about damage to camera from road conditions (salt, rocks, snow, etc?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fact most important when comparing the two is that the Innov uses proprietary cables which you can't just go to the store and buy. Check enough Innov threads and you will see what a PITA it is and how using the wrong cable can destroy your camera. The Mobius uses a standard Mini USB cable which can be found in your local BestBuy. In general, the Mobius seems a better quality

GJHS,

I did not realize that the Innovv used proprietary cables. If they are not easy to find/buy, then I would also consider that a PITA.

GJHS,

I did not realize that the Innovv used proprietary cables. If they are not easy to find/buy, then I would also consider that a PITA.
If you check the Innov threads you will see a bunch of quality issues. Either one you choose, don't take my word and I know it's a lot of info yet take a good amount of time reading the threads on both cameras. Also for your first camera buy local, it's just easier.

Do you have any concerns about damage to camera from road conditions
It has fallen off twice (We used Dual Lock Tape and the two ends of the tape came apart and needed pushed back together when we hit a driveway dip, but the tape stuck to the camera fine) The lens is water proof and has a rubber outer coating that seems to be made really well. Also if you do break a lens it is nicer to be able to buy a 30 dollars lens over a whole new camera.

Also it is on a very low riding car(4th Gen GM Fbody)
2mx22ba.jpg

If it was mounted to the bumper of a normal car that sat higher or a truck it would not be much of an issue.

I think the fact most important when comparing the two is that the Innov uses proprietary cables
Sadly this is one of the draw backs. The camera comes with a rather long, but proprietary power cable. Something that I hope to see changed with the next model.

If you check the Innov threads you will see a bunch of quality issues.
There is a wide and narrow lens and you can use one of the other. The narrow lens seems to have an issue where one frame every so often is discolored.
Either one you choose, don't take my word and I know it's a lot of info yet take a good amount of time reading the threads on both cameras.
By all means I second this. I love my C3 and we use it all the time, but while it is great for me you have different needs and tastes you should always take in as much information as possible and decide what is best for your situation. Hopefully all our posts help.

Hey @CheckYourLights, clip the wire short behind the lens, to the bottom of the car so if it comes off there isn't enough wire to allow it to hit the ground.

I think the fact most important when comparing the two is that the Innov uses proprietary cables which you can't just go to the store and buy. Check enough Innov threads and you will see what a PITA it is and how using the wrong cable can destroy your camera. The Mobius uses a standard Mini USB cable which can be found in your local BestBuy. In general, the Mobius seems a better quality

Dam i didnt know that

Innovv or Mobius, Each has its own advantages,
To choose which, base on people's need and their decision.
I do not want people have the image that two are get competition,
and believe both are moving to their own way to develop good camera.

Back