Using Power Magic Pro under extreme cold weather

According to meteorologist it'll be unplugged when not in use until Wednesday.

Extreme Cold Warning
A cold front that prompted extreme cold warnings for southwestern Manitoba Saturday night has extended east across the entire southern part of the province Sunday.

Environment Canada has issued extreme cold warnings from as far north as Swan River, the Interlake and Bissette all the way down to the U.S. border.

Temperatures are forecast to plummet the –30 C {-22 F} mark in the evening, with wind gusting to 10 {6 mph} to 15 {9 mph} kilometres an hour.

Wind chills are expected to hit the –40 {-40 F} to –45 {-49 F} range Sunday night.

Temperatures will warm up into Monday evening.
Yeah, it's getting a little chilly here tonight.

i had issues with mine [edit: i live in minnesota, so its often below zero Fahrenheit, was 25 and felt like it was spring!] but i run both a dr650 and 550, so i have 4 channels total, using the power magic pro plus which gives two sockets. once it got below freezing it was cutting it off within a minute or less of turning my car off.

i bought two t power plus batteries which can give 10-12 or more hours for each camera. takes awhile to charge though, like an hour of driving, so i turn them off when im parked at home in my garage so i dont drian them. i just have them on when i go out shopping or to friends houses where i have to park on the street.

I have a discharge preventer too but not a power magic. I have it set to 12.2v and my cf 100 seems to shut off within an hour or three once the temp gets below 50f. It's only going to get down to maybe 28f tonight but even at 12.2v the engine sounds a little slow to crank. I don't want to tempt fate by Lowering the shutoff to 12.0. And this is Houston, where the only ice you ever see on the ground is what someone dumped out of a cup! ;)
i run my t power plus batteries to cut off at only 12v and i havent had an issue here in minnesota although the battery is new and my car is a 2012.

but whats nice is the t power plus can recharge your battery if you cant start your car, plus i have an ALLPOWER rechargeable battery that can jump start a car several times.

After having to have my two month old battery boosted twice during an extreme cold weather warning within a week. I began researching more about my Power Magic Pro, which I admit I should have done sooner.

So now that I know the PMP is configurable and I didn't have to suffer dead batteries, or having to unplug the unit when I plan on parking over night, or other dead batteries when I forgot to unplug the unit.

I figured I'd experiment with the PMP's settings. I went into my car and looked for the PMP under the dash and could not find it anywhere. I checked near the fuse box, nothing. I even checked the glove box, not there either. So I called the installers, they installed it "behind" the panel under the dash. :confused:

They told me that if and when I ever want to change the settings all I need to do is remove the panel {needing tools}. :rolleyes:

Once it warms up I'm just gonna move it to a more accessible place. I just hate to think I'll need a another boost if I forget to unplug the unit, again. Or worse forget to plug it in if something ever happened to me on the road.

Would turning it off not help? As I understand it, turning the power switch off would be the same as unplugging it. Their would be no power draw due to no recording while the vehicle is off.

Oh yeah turning it off is fine, just the highest voltage setting offered is still too low in a lot of cases

The extreme cold has past, so I should be okay for now.

i really need a battery charger, but my garage is a detached garage and not near an outlet. I live in town homes and we are not allowed to stretch extension cords out either, snow blower/thrower has hit one before and thrown up sparks after it was cut from some resident who tried to bury one in the snow out to his/her garage.

even tho my garage has all sorts of lights, electrical outlets, i assume the previous tenant only used it during the summer and didnt ever leave it there.

is there a window in the garage or the garage door? maybe you can rig something up with a solar charger. or is there an electric garage door opener? perhaps you can tee into its power for a charger.

is there a window in the garage or the garage door? maybe you can rig something up with a solar charger. or is there an electric garage door opener? perhaps you can tee into its power for a charger.
No there is no window and it is not a powered garage door either. The lights hanging from the ceiling are plugged into a power strip that is not plugged into anything.

so it's basically a big, fancy storage shed. sigh.

would you get in trouble if you mounted a solar panel just above the car or man door and ran its wire through the door jamb somewhere? i just got a 2.5w maintainer for about $25 on amazon. granted i don't have to deal with the kind of cold you do but now that i work from home fulltime, my car doesn't get driven much.

my garage doesn't have a window either (though i'd like to add them to the garage door) but i plan on mounting a solar panel somewhere externally once i get my miata running again, since it only gets driven like 3000 miles per year.

Back