New adapter

Well, lot's of facts ignored but these are very important maybe;)

- Imported PVC material provides the cable strong flexibility
- Nickel plated connectors, which is resistant to corrosion.

DX generally just cut and paste whatever info they're given, can be right or wrong

Personally I haven't had issues with them from an after sales perspective, they stand behind whatever they sell and fix what's wrong, it's just wrong more often than it should be and they're very very slow

I'm having issues with them right now - just on the live chat to see if they can figure it out but it appears they've taken my money but lost my order - make of that what you will :)

I guess it's when things go wrong you find out how good a company really is!

Usually abnormalities are traceable, i'm quite sure if this is their error they will fix it, but if it's uk mail who lost item then i don't know what will happen.

It was a system error in my case - there were no orders showing in my account that I could track.

I've been talking to them and to be fair they've managed to dig out the correct order number and now it shows up in my account - it's as though they weren't linked properly but fair play it's taken them less than 10 minutes to fix and now I've got an order and tracking number showing up.

I ordered with expedited shipping which was listed as 5-7 days to the UK so fingers crossed it should be here in the next couple of days.

As for your voltage cutout like you say there's nothing mentioned on there - one of the Chinese hardwire kits I have is 11.6V which is a bit too low IMHO.

I wonder why chinese are so attracted to that 11.6 volts, is it some kind of special lucky number...:p
They keep offering it in so many places, but in our temperature it does mean empty battery.

The 11.6v is a pre built solution that they use, not sure which dumb engineer came up with that, I had one made for us that's 12.2v and they looked at me like I had two heads, they didn't get it at all

I've got mine set to 12.1V and you can already hear the difference in tone where it's slower just turning the engine over at that plus the xenon headlights don't turn on via the key when it's that low - I'm waiting for the 12.2V to be added to the X2 as hopefully that will be better :)

Also I've seen a few of these OBD adaptors saying they'll max out at 3a although to be honest I don't know if I'd be happy doing that. Saying that I did run a Blitz R-VIT over the OBD power line and that had no issues on my old car.

Just updating this one - I ordered from DX on the 9th December with express shipping and the first attempted delivery was on the 29th December so 20 days at Christmas with the holidays in there. Not sure if that's typical of them or whether it's the couriers fault.

I've not collected the package yet - but will see later if it came from the Netherlands warehouse or straight from China - the tracking number suggests the Netherlands and 20 days from there seems a bit ridiculous bearing in mind it took just three working days I think it was from me to Germany which is further from the UK!

I suspect that mine is in one certain ship near Southampton...:p
I have one coming too, but maybe these long holidays has made huge traffic jam to NL post.

Finally i got this power adapter, but it was quite a disappointment.
First, i had a dream, i was dreaming of an intelligent power adapter which go "on" when my car starts and go "off" when my car is parked, maybe add some kind of timer for let's say...30 mins, that was my dream.
But in reality this adapter is totally stupid, no intelligent at all, it's always "on", 100% of time, drawing power as much car battery has.
DX product specs say that there should be some voltage threshold to shut it down, but i don't know is my unit faulty or what but when i let input voltage drop from 12.49 to 10.94 volts adapter is still working like there's no tomorrow.
So, i don't know what kind of use this is built, maybe if you keep your device on 24/7 then this could be handy.
Material quality looks good inside and out, soldering quality is about 8 out of 10. There is only two pins connected, pin 16 constant 12v and pin 5 signal ground.
Housing is quite full and stuffed and for safety reason i removed pins that have no use, so in case of accidental shortcut there is less possibilities to get power to any data pin.
I have no use for this as it is, but as a diy project this may be handy some day.
teer.jpg

Thanks for the review.

Does it output 5 volts like advertised?

If you had a spare battery, or adjustable bench power supply it would be interesting to see if it actually has any cutoff at all.

DX shipping can be even more than 100 days after you ordered.

@Sabe, thank you for the pictures. At least we have another option except cigarette lighter and fusebox. I don't know if all cars have permanent power on OBD or maybe there is some PIN with power only when engine is running. Some cars have that 30 minutes timeout. I am using car interior light for powering my dashcam and always I have some minutes of recording after leaving the car. That adapter is expensive 18 Euro if buying from EU department of DX.

I think a gasoline car can start with only 11.8V.

I've not collected the package yet - but will see later if it came from the Netherlands warehouse or straight from China - the tracking number suggests the Netherlands and 20 days from there seems a bit ridiculous bearing in mind it took just three working days I think it was from me to Germany which is further from the UK!
You received an order from China but using PostNL as shipping method. This was great because I expect you didn't paid any tax for customs your order is coming from EU, not China. Even they are using an european shipping company for sure they have the cheapest option and because of this the shipping time is so long.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz and map.
Because it's difficult make test in a working car i rigged this adapter to three 18650 li-ion battery connected in series and in this testbed starting voltage was that 12,49 volts, my dvr was running with it for a couple of hours until voltage dropped to 10,94 and dvr was still recording, i didn't continue further because if car battery has 10,94 volts it is quite useless anyway. I can't say will it work differently in car, or is just this one unit bad. I have toyota verso and i let it be in there recording maybe for an hour and it was still recording, so i'm quite sure that there is no timer.
Maybe there is a very slim chance if starting voltage should be higher than 12,94 to make voltage guard active, because in a running car voltage goes around 13 and 14 volts, i don't know how these devices work so i don't know is this even possible, i just try to think positively:rolleyes:
I can't make that test with my li-ion batteries because 4x volts is maximum per battery, but if i find any more info i will tell it.

Back