iPhone apps

"loop" recording could not cause overheat if we are talking about deleting files time to time.
iPhone has a "pressure" while recording (encoding) the video. And if real-time processing is used - it might give additional load to the CPU which could cause to heat and overheat in some cases. Mostly for long time (2 hours and more) recording. Also it could happen more often in summer than in winter.

I personally trying to make heavy parts of app, like video recording, as much light weight as possible (in case of loop recording).

BTW - I made similar app for Symbian S60 (Nokia) a year ago. It has similar name - SymDVR https://sites.google.com/site/symdvr/en

The RAM suction cup does not stick on the dash - you would need to buy a sticky disk if you wanted to do that with the RAM. The Otti would stick on anything as it is a gel suction cup and amazing. I can barely pull it off. The Otti is a good size for the glass or dash.

The RAM is much larger and so you can't tuck it to the top of the windshield, but it is ok lower under the mirror.

The RAM is much more solid and does not shake as much.

The RAM costs 2.5 times as much as the iOtti, but is needed for quality video. The iOtti is arguably as good or even better for normal-people use like using the iPhone as a GPS on the dash.

[Broken External Image]:http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9351/img8164small.jpg

img688.imageshack.us_img688_3199_img8165small.jpg

If you want raw video comparing them, and also comparing lenses, it is here:

http://www.silencertalk.com/dashcam/mou ... nscompare/

I may make a YouTube comparison, but that is a lot of work and I already know what I want to do - keep both mounts and I like the wide angle lens the best, the fisheye second best, and no lens third best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks rsilvers for the detailed feedback on the mounts. I'm sure this will help many others out. I have never seen a gel suction cup but it sounds very cool!

In the UK it would be hard to position a screen-only mountable holder legally in the strictest sense, obstructions should be out of the "sweep" of the wiper blades, GPS and phones etc included. The ram mount was one I was looking at too, but hard to buy and pricey in the UK.

My video with iPhone 4S and iSymDVR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the dashcam from the App Store
In my other car while I decide if I should but another blackvue 500 or the picovation

I have a spare iPhone 4 so it helps that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we use these cameras for tracing location's video as we just trace the location ?

After a lot of testing and wanting something simple and low battery drain, I'm using this on a spare iphone 4
I'm pleased with its simplicity. I don't need the resource grabbing GPS and maps. It also uses minimal memory.
http://duicam.org/

I will "retire' my iphone 5 in the following months. I have already a (front) dashcam and I was planning to use it as a rear dashcam, no sim inside.
Biggest issue would be it would not automatically start once power is applied (even worse, if the car is not used, the battery would die and phone would need to be started).
I think this would be an impossible problem with iOs to overcome, no app could support either cold phone start or even hot, am I right?

Zombie thread. Well guys, it’s 2017 and duicam seems to be disappeared from iTunes apps now; we’re now on iOS 11; there’s an dashcam app for iphone called Nexar which uses AI to spot things on the road ahead such as hard braking; it needs further development but it sounds interesting. Meanwhile another app called “DashCam 2” looks to be getting decent reviews.

What I’d like to know is - do any of these apps handle things well if a phone call comes in? Or if music is being played? What about navigation apps running at the same time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi teddyc1, I've been using DashCam 2 today and made some test footage in 4k on my iPhone. there were a few hiccups like sometimes when starting the app the image is blurry but forcing it closed and reopening will usually resolve it.
It doesn't show timestamps, speed, location, camera branding etc. on the video.
You will see from the video that the image stabilization on the iPhone X was not enough to overcome the limitations of my mount, and there is an audio rattle. Maybe I need to use the old Blue Tac trick. :)
One other issue is I had to turn off bluetooth and disconnect the charge cable due to a really weird issue; when pressing record on the app my BMW Connected Drive system starts making a call to my own phone number and the call counter just keeps going as if I have a call in progress to myself until i stop the recording. It's an issue reported with other apps on the iPhone, I might be able to resolve it with a phone reset, but until I do, it means I can't really test using the phone and app at the same time. The App also really hammers the battery (even more than Waze) so I can't really use it for long commutes with the charger unplugged. I've asked the developer if he has any suggestions and I might mention it to BMW if a reset of the phone doesn't resolve it.
Getting videos out of the app is a little fiddly as the "Save" option causes the app to crash, but I've found the best way is to export to iCloud Drive and download from there.

Here is the Vid - it was a 4k mov and it's slowly being converted by YouTube, 1440p is the highest res so far, but hopefully the 2160p variant will be encoded by the time you click this link:

Back