raw file output. Blackvue / Smarty

micro2112

Reaction score
I am looking at getting either a Blackvue dr400g, or a Smarty BX1500 to use for an acedemic project.

Can anyone who has one tell me how the files are stored? is there a separate file of gps data, accelerometer data, and the video file? or are they stored in some proprietary format that only the included software can view?

micro2112 said:
I am looking at getting either a Blackvue dr400g, or a Smarty BX1500 to use for an acedemic project.

Can anyone who has one tell me how the files are stored? is there a separate file of gps data, accelerometer data, and the video file? or are they stored in some proprietary format that only the included software can view?

Hi micro2112,

The Blackvue DR400G-HD saves 3 files:

.mp4 which is the video
.3gf which is the accelerometer data
.gps which is the gps data

I don't know what the Smarty BX1500 stores.

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan said:
micro2112 said:

Hi micro2112,

.mp4 which is the video

Dash Cam Man

Would you (or anyone else) be able to zip and upload those files somewhere so that I experiment with the data before i get the cameras?

micro2112 said:
Would you (or anyone else) be able to zip and upload those files somewhere so that I experiment with the data before i get the cameras?

Hi micro2122,

I currently don't have access to a Blackvue DR400G-HD. Perhaps someone else can share the files.

Some more info on the files:

The .gps file contains the GPS NEMA output
The .3gf contains the accelerameter data.

The format of the .3GF file is as follows:

The file is structured in fixed sets of 10 bytes.

Bytes 0-1: always 0000
Bytes 2-3: the time offset in milliseconds
Bytes 4-5: vertical accel with 128 equaling 1g
Bytes 6-7: horizontal accel Left-Right with Right being positive
Bytes 8-9: horizontal accel Forward to Back with Back being positive.

The 2 bytes are used as a 16bit signed integer.

Dash Cam Man

micro2112 said:
are they stored in some proprietary format that only the included software can view?
Registrator Viewer exports GPS tracks to formats: KML (for Google Earth), CSV (for Excel), GPX (GPS eXchange Format), PLT (Ozi Explorer).
It works perfectly with Blackvue and altitude is included. It doesn't seem to work with Smarty BX1500.
http://registratorviewer.narod.ru/features_en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
DashCamMan said:
The format of the .3GF file is as follows:

The file is structured in fixed sets of 10 bytes.

Bytes 4-5: vertical accel with 128 equaling 1g
Bytes 6-7: horizontal accel Left-Right with Right being positive
Bytes 8-9: horizontal accel Forward to Back with Back being positive.

The 2 bytes are used as a 16bit signed integer.
The field associated with bytes 2 and 3 appears to be unsigned. I'm curious what happens when the settings are set to 3min file sizes (since there's not enough room to store the offset soon after the first minute passes).

DashCamMan said:

Update:

I now believe this is slightly incorrect. I have data files with a 1 in byte 1 (second byte). If the first 4 bytes are treated as a 32-bit integer the offset sequence remains monotonically increasing in all of my 3GF files. I don't know if it's signed or unsigned (though I presume unsigned).

micro2112 said:
DashCamMan said:
micro2112 said:

Hi micro2112,

.mp4 which is the video

Dash Cam Man

not sure if it's of any help but you can download a sample file from one of our cameras with the corresponding GPS file here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?czc96j7tqkgangt not sure what your project entails but the format is common among quite a few cameras so maybe of some interest to you

Last edited by a moderator:
Back