Sony AS100V vs SJ4000 vs M10 Dash Cam test

Pavle

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
I have put all my 3 action cameras on a cloudy day and here is how they preformed

Thank you for your comparison video. As expected AS100V's video is brighter and clearer, but then it is more expensive and a bit bigger in size. One good point about AS100V is its built-in image stabilisation which is not available in most other action cams i.e. GoPro. What I am a bit surprised is your M10's video appears slightly darker than your SJ4000, when both of them have exactly the same hardware internally. I like the M10's cube form design the best, but apparently there is a design fault with its waterproof case. When you have M10 in its waterproof case, there aren't buttons that allow you to change different menus and choose the options, is that correct?

Glad you found it useful :)
At the begining of the video I mentioned that I used different SD cards. That MIGHT be the reason, since I haven't noticed much difference when I used same micro sdhc card.
Sony wins, but in my opinion sjcam gadgets look slightly sharper in bright light.
The best advice I can give you is to watch my reviews of m10 and sj4000 to compare videos. I might soon create face to face comparison of the two.
I have a lite version of M10 , so I do not know about waterproof case issue. Never had issue with case on sj4000 thought the buttons were a bit hard to press, everything worked.

Glad you found it useful :)
At the begining of the video I mentioned that I used different SD cards. That MIGHT be the reason, since I haven't noticed much difference when I used same micro sdhc card.
Sony wins, but in my opinion sjcam gadgets look slightly sharper in bright light.
The best advice I can give you is to watch my reviews of m10 and sj4000 to compare videos. I might soon create face to face comparison of the two.
I have a lite version of M10 , so I do not know about waterproof case issue. Never had issue with case on sj4000 thought the buttons were a bit hard to press, everything worked.

I see. Interesting that different SD cards would alter the video brightness on M10 and SJ4000, I wouldn't expecting that.

As for the waterproof case, it's not a problem for SJ4000 because it has 2 buttons on the side for the 2 buttons on SJ4000 cam. But the case for M10 only 1 button for the 3 buttons on M10 cam, people commented that one button lets you get into the menu, but missing two buttons to navigate up and down the menu. Stupid design.

I tried to find a specific thread or subforum for SonyAS100V but since there aren't any, I just thought to share few shoots taken today on an snowy and foggy weather during our hiking trip.
Really like how camera preforms.
I will soon post my full review of this camera.
Unfortunately because the forums image size limit, had to compress photos.
1yqreo.jpg

n48fg5.jpg

2popsmt.jpg

Yeah the AS100V is nice, and i assume it will drop more in prize now that the new one is here.

I had really great customer service at Sony. Couldn't be more pleased.
I remember buying AS100V for 219$ on Black Friday, 3 days later they decreased the price to 199$. Since I had 30 days price guarantee money back, they have refunded me the difference.
Price will certainly drop. From all my action cams Sony AS100V has been the best.

AS100V is still quite expensive in Australia :(

One negative point about it is when using it as action cam in its waterproof case, other users complain the lens shape is curve on the waterproof case and this makes the video all blurry under the water.

Yes as i undestand it they ( sony ) have used too cheap materials in the underwater case, but i think they allso sell another one that should perform better.

It is quite pointless to put some stupid plastic in front of a Carl zeiss lens, thats like having a nice car with a tires from 1970 on it.
And i see no reason to not make a better and by that allso larger watertight case, if you are diving you dont need a super small unit.

Not sure if you can replace the plastic lens on the housing with glass, but i am affraid it cant be done.

@kamkar1 I havent done any underwater shoots, so I have no idea about that, though there is underwater option, not sure what it does.
Front part of the case can be easily replaced since its mobile.

Here is a video I havent edited much, juts put few shoots together from our hiking trip in the Serbian mountains yesterday. Its been recorded with SonyAs100v, though I slightly had to reduce birthrate since I had to upload it fast.

I would not have much use for the housing either, and the sonys are splash proof and thats good enuff for me.
But it seem to be a common complaint area fron the gopro fans.

I have allso just been looking a little at the AS200V model, allso looking nice.

I am not sure if I should post this is sj4000 or m10 secion of the forum, so I decided to post in in this topic where we talked about them both.

I wrote a short article comparing m10 and sj4000 in terms of features and few other interface such as user interface ,usability etc.

http://sjcamguides.com/sjcam-sj4000-vs-m10/

Let me know if you have any suggestions or questions, I will gladly answer them or update article if I missed something out.

Cheers guys, happy recording in the meanwhile!

Back