Soon, We Might Be Using Aluminum Batteries

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Strike first and start saving all aluminium cans for future, it will be price of gold some day:)

"Aluminum-ion produces about half the voltage of Li-ion..." so put two of them in series and be done with it. they already do that with li-ion batteries - every cordless drill battery pack, RC car battery pack, laptop battery, etc etc... even car batteries are typically 6 cells in series to provide ~12vdc.

Strike first and start saving all aluminium cans for future, it will be price of gold some day:)
Considering that aluminium is the 3rd most common element and makes up 8% of the earths surface by weight despite being very light, I don't think we need to worry about running out of it!

I've been following new battery tech with keen interest for years now and have learned to take these sort of "breakthroughs" with a grain of salt. Not a single "next big thing" I have read about has yet to make it out of the lab and into the marketplace despite all the well placed, exciting sounding PR articles. Obviously, this is an extraordinarily competitive field as the reward for the "next big thing" in battery tech is enormous.

Titanium-based batteries "a huge game changer"

New all-solid sulfur-based battery outperforms lithium-ion technology

Sand-based lithium ion batteries that outperform standard by three times

Powered by seaweed: Polymer from algae may improve battery performance

Breakthrough in rechargeable batteries: New twist to sodium-ion battery technology

Super-powered battery breakthrough claimed by US team

Scientists at USC have developed a water-based organic battery that is long lasting, built from cheap, eco-friendly components.

"Breakthrough?"- Battery-ultracapacitor hybrid based on barium-titanate powders

Last edited:
Looks like they are going to be ridiculously large...
if they can get the AL to liberate all 3 electron that it's capable of, that'll shrink them well enough. and as the article states, physical size isnt' as much of a concern for electrical grid storage for things like wind and solar.

those quick charge times sound like something much closer to a capacitor than a typical battery.

I've been following new battery tech with keen interest for years now and have learned to take these sort of "breakthroughs" with a grain of salt. Not a single "next big thing" I have read about has yet to make it out of the lab and into the marketplace despite all the well placed, exciting sounding PR articles. Obviously, this is an extraordinarily competitive field as the reward for the "next big thing" in battery tech is enormous.

Titanium-based batteries "a huge game changer"

New all-solid sulfur-based battery outperforms lithium-ion technology

Sand-based lithium ion batteries that outperform standard by three times