Illinois General Assembly passes bill to ban citizens from recording police

You'd think in this day and age they'd be wanting to go the other way and have complete transparency to prevent any repeat of events in the past when something has gone down and people are rioting over it - unless they're scared of what could be revealed?!

I m amazed at how when something goes down those higher up that should know better spring to defend the badged criminal...

But it seems anyone can be a cop - one I know working in the bible belt has a peeping tom conviction and left the uk for spain shortly after after tax evasion came to light. There he bigamously married a wealthy Spanish woman, was found out and fled to America where he became and still is a cop !!!

You'd think in this day and age they'd be wanting to go the other way and have complete transparency to prevent any repeat of events in the past when something has gone down and people are rioting over it - unless they're scared of what could be revealed?!
When in the past, is now. There are huge protest happening to protest three incidents of police brutality against unarmed citizens. Two of those were filmed by bystanders. Ny has just put cameras on the police to quiet the protesters, though the problem lies in the fact that those cops won't be tried in court for their actions. The film already shows the cops broke the law and were completely at fault.

I doubt this will stand against a fight in court with someone like the ACLU; the news services will go after this too as it will be used against them at some point. I seem to remember some state, might have been Illinois, having a no record cops law struck down by the Supreme Court. The state vowed to rewrite the law so it would hold but I can not see how that could happen. They are public servants doing a job in public, the supreme court has already said that you have no privacy in public, DUH!

Body cams aren't the answer. How long till those video are ;) missing? Tougher fines and punishment for cops is the answer.

As evidenced by the Baltimore cops deleting the cell phone video. Luckily it was sent to the cloud and they weren't smart enough to delete that too, or this would've been treated as just another "crazy" accusation by a criminal resisting arrest. There can be no trust until there is complete transparency and better oversight. Tougher fines and punishment is one way to address part of the issue, but individuals with these types of personalities should never be allowed into a position of power or need to be quickly and publicly removed from the force when their actions are discovered. Any attempt at concealing these types events only serve to undermine what little public trust they have developed with the community.

KuoH

How long till those video are ;) missing? Tougher fines and punishment for cops is the answer.

It may be a little over the top yet by law here they can't force you to give up your password yet they can subpoena your fingerprints. So A. lock your phone and B. Skip the fingerprint option.

As they always say Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely and that's what the cops want, which is why they don't want to be filmed. Thank God she had proof or as you said it would have been their word against hers.

I'll be right back - I need to turn off the sound. Too many passengers.

Here is a newer article. http://www.will.illinois.edu/news/s...ows-recording-police-contrary-to-internet-rum
... But the keyword here is "public." Under the new legislation, state senator Raoul says anyone is free to record an officer when there's no reasonable expectation of privacy... in public, in a car, even in your own home, if a police officer comes to search.

Critics say this "reasonable expectation of privacy" standard is too broad, and could potentially deter citizens from recording police at all. But Raoul says it was left broad on purpose.

“Sometimes when you list some, by implication some may interpret that the ones that you don’t list are not covered,” he said.

What's still not allowed is surreptitiously recording law enforcement on the job if they're in their office, wiretapping their phones, hacking email, etc. Senator Raoul says that's because that recording puts police investigations at risk.
But even that crime would only be a class 3 felony, down from a class one. (Eavesdropping on regular citizens, by the way, would be a class four felony, which carries...

Your honor i was wearing my body cam, but unfortunately there was a smear of doughnut stuffing on the lens rendering the recording useless.

Here its damm hard to identefy a cop, you can ask for his credentials, but like in a demonstartion you can not identify a single cop as they have no numbers or the like on ther combat gear or regular uniform.

I dont know what a cop is payed in the US, but its not enuff for me to wish i had ther job.
And besides my moral is tainted by the things i did as a teen, and i expect officers of the law to be above things like that, and sadly it is often proven that many cops are just like the most of ppl.
And most ppl will do and say whatever to save ther own ass, even when they have been caught with ther hand in the cookie jar.

This culture of deny deny deny is set forth by the wery ppl who make the laws for us all, so its no wonder this dishonorable practise filter down thru society.

Just read in the news the ppl who tour the busses in and around Copenhagen to check if ppl got a ticket, they will now be bearing some form of body camera as they are often attacked and so on while doing ther job.

The next will proberly be the meter maids as parking is now a industry here, if not they do get verbally abused a lot or so i undestand.

All of that reveals a short coming of dash cams: the inability to protect recordings. If he had his own dash cams rolling the cards would have been erased or taken. In these circumstances there needs to be a way to protect recordings or silently, automatically upload them off site.

The thing to do is to be discreet. If they don't know they are being filmed they will act accordingly and convict themselves. If you have video keep it to yourself quietly, then get it to your attorney ASAP so he can copy it and handle things from there. Let a trusted friend hold the original in a sealed envelope- it's your "insurance".

Sad that the USA has gotten like this but nowadays the Cops are the ones not to be believed or trusted- and they prove that viewpoint all by themselves daily. If there are any good ones left they are doing nothing to keep their comrades on the right path so they are equally guilty in my eyes. Since they will not reform themselves it's up to the people to reform them, which sending them to jail ought to accomplish well enough. The Media loves showing the videos of Cops acting badly these days, and we can and should help them let the unassailable truth be known to all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Legal Questions 26