Transfer files to home network via wifi

Initially, I was thinking about my own interest in keeping an archive of my dashcam files, but the more I think about it, I think there is a market here on the commercial side... Think about taxi, tow truck and ambulance fleets... Their dash cams are continuously recording vehicle activity, and then when they returned to base, those files could be automatically archived to a server for future reference. Keep in mind that often, legal issues are brought to light weeks or months from the date of occurrence, so the ability to access "old" video files could be quite valuable. It seems to me that the pieces are all available, it's just a matter of putting them together.

Personally, I'm more interested in saving to a Hard Drive (or SSD) that stays in-vehicle.

Then perhaps other "carputer" hardware could be put together to enable transfer or remote access, etc.

Beef up the local storage to the point where "archival" is less relevant. I would then think about "backup" as opposed to "archival". By this I mean duplicating the local Drive storage to a 2nd Drive.

Oh and then! Have the ability to pull out a small, say, 2 GB SD card that automatically contains the last Alert/Event file; for handoff to police or other parties in a collision or something (hint hint for your next cam Jokiin)

Sigh... the possibilities...

Our ideas far exceed available (affordable) technology already, we have to wait for things to catch up

Is there a way to accomplish this using a cellphone and an On The Go cable? I just ordered an OTG cable, so I'm not sure what I will be able to accomplish with it yet. But I also have an old wifi capable smartphone lying around that I could dedicate to car DVR file transfer use.

Back