The search for a 2 amp fuse...

M3_J

Reaction score
Country
United States
Almost done with my A118C hardwire by fuse tap. Last part I need is a 2 amp (or 1.5 amp) fuse, low-profile mini size. I've seen a couple other users mention them, but where the hell do you buy them? Lowest I can find anywhere is 5 amps. Any ideas?

On the off chance anybody has a spare one, I'd be more than happy to pay postage (plus a beer?).
Help much appreciated!

Edit: Found one on eBay for $7. Is that as cheap as they go?

That eBay listing is the one I found (and the only one thus far). Thanks for the links.

That third link I added seems like the best deal assuming they don't kill you on the shipping.

As jokiin say 5 amps is ok, but after quick check 2, 3 and 4 amp fuse is standard item here in any auto spare part store, nothing special about those.

the fuse is there to protect the vehicle, not the device, a 5 amp fuse would be fine
It's main purpose is to stop your new camera/hardwire kit/cable from bursting into flames and burning the car to it's shell if something goes wrong with what you have added. The main risk is that you run the cable near a piece of sharp metal which over the next 6 months cuts through the insulation and then causes a short circuit, you then want your fuse to blow before the new cabling gets so hot that it bursts into flames (probably while you or someone else is driving) and so if you use 3 amp cable you should use a 3 amp or less fuse, if your hardwire kit is rated at 1.5 amp then you should use a 1.5 amp fuse or less. Most dashcams require around 0.2 amps through the fuse to operate so a 1 amp fuse is sensible, never use a fuse more than 5 amps, 5 amps * 12 volts = 60 watts which is definitely enough to cause a fire with a short circuit.

Back