Doubts about which fuses to choose

lukas_4942

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
Hello guys!

I am going to hardwire a Blackvue 650 on my 2011 Audi A6.
I checked the fuses "map" located on side of dash.
I am wondering if I can connect the wires to 2 different types of fuses.
For example: the "ALWAYS ON" (so that I can use the parking mode recording) connected to a MINI fuse and the "ON WHEN ENGINE RUNNING" connected to a standard (ATO/ATC) fuse.
Or wires should be connected always to same type of fuses (2 minis / 2 standards)?
My doubt came because the only standard fuse that has no power when car is off is the one that controls the engine and Tiptronic automatic gearbox. I would prefer to find something "less important" for example the mini fuse that is related to air condition and tyre pressure monitor (I don't have the T.P.M. on my car).

Other question: would you just "wrap" the wire around the leg of fuses or better to add a Fuse Holder Bypass (Dual Fuse Tap)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lukas

DSC_7869_1.JPG

Never old school wrap wires around the prongs, bad idea. By an add-a-fuse pigtail.
(available on Amazon, eBay, and your local automotive shop)

The physical size of the plastic fuse housing type makes no difference. (mistaching is ok)

QQy8yig.png

If you are intending to tap in to a permanent positive make sure you test the voltage when the engine is OFF..

IT may surprise some, but due to resistance of the circuit supplying it, the voltage can be a lot lower than 12v... mine was 13.87v with a tested at the battery 12.4v but it did rise to 14.4v with the engine running.

Thank you very much for the info.
I am going to use as "Always ON" the standard fuse that control lights of one side of saloon and as "ON when ENGINE runs" the Mini fuse that controls the heated sprayer to wash the windshield .
Already ordered (and now waiting) the add-a-fuse pigtails + 2 A fuses!
Kind regards

Lukas

Back