3M clear double-sided tape for bracket / mount. Strong hold, but Easy to remove

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
I have been testing many different manufacturers double-sided tapes for my stock and DIY dashcameras brackets.
Many of them have very strong hold, but the problem comes when you want to remove tape from windshield. Most of them stuck very strong to the glass and it is pain in the ...... to completely remove them.
Month ago I bought 3M transparent double-sided tape from local Lidl. I think it cost 3.99€
Very happy with it:
- clear / transparent
- strong hold
- most important, if I need to remove it, - then it comes off quite easily ( in comparison with others ) in one peace without leaving any marks on windshield.

3M clear tape (1).JPG

3M clear tape (2).JPG

3M clear tape (3).JPG

3M clear tape (4).JPG

3M clear tape (5).JPG

3M clear tape (6).JPG

Niko that looks like a good product. I will look out for it next time I go into a Lidl store. 5 Meters should last a v e r y l o n g time.

Niko that looks like a good product. I will look out for it next time I go into a Lidl store. 5 Meters should last a v e r y l o n g time.

3M has wide range of quality products. Problem is that range is too wide and to get trough all of them takes time ( test and try ).
Another problem with Lidl is as you know, they do not have constant stock of products. They do buy some stock and after it sold out, - you have to wait another 6 year when it will be back again on shelves.

this looks similar to what Finevu & others package w/ their mounts...the stuff that comes in rectangles w/ a red backing. It also is easy to remove. I've seen it in a hardware store in a roll also, w/ a red liner.

I think I may have finally found it, or at least the closest thing to it here in North America. I spent a fair amount of time looking for it here or Germany, via product number, UPC code, you name it. Even wrote a local 3M distributor the other day who said that they do not have it and even if they did carry it they wouldn't sell me just a single roll.... After a couple hours, I think I've found it; You'd have to click on the "3/4 in. x 5 yds. *5-yard roll" option, here; http://www.amazon.com/3M-4658F.../dp/B003ZF8Y1Y/ref=sr_1_12 I ordered a roll and we shall see.

I found this following product (see attached picture) at a North American chain called Michaels Arts & Crafts, I bought it for $7.99 CAD (which compared to a five meter roll the Niko got at Lidl for about the same money as four little strips from Michaels is quite the rip-off). I haven't opened this package yet, it seems not to be transparent, is removable but since I will be able to find various other uses for this kind of product, I am glad I just ordered the transparent roll.

3m.jpg

I found the clear to be a bit too reflective/shiny looking from the outside. Black is still the way to go if they make it in Black.

Dont know about you Guys, but every time i see somthing written in Greek i get a WTF moment :p
Currently i use clear, but the dots on my window cover it up pretty good.

how does the double sided tape withstand heat? im in the southern us and we've been seeing some 95 F days alot over the summer, so i dont wnat to come out to the car and then see the camera hanging because the tape seperated because of the heat

how does the double sided tape withstand heat? im in the southern us and we've been seeing some 95 F days alot over the summer, so i dont wnat to come out to the car and then see the camera hanging because the tape seperated because of the heat

Yes, you should be fine at 95F and above. 3M makes quite a variety of VHB double sided tapes though with different specs. You can read up on them at 3M's web site HERE. Check the temp ratings on the left side of the page. As @niko mentioned earlier in this thread 3M makes so many products it would be hard to test or even keep track of them. To make matters worse, there are differences in international packaging and possibly even product numbering. Anyway, I believe the equivalent 3M clear double sided tape in the US market is Heavy Duty Mounting Tape #4910. (good to at least 200 degrees F exposure or more long term, up to 250 - 300F exposure short term)

Also, depending on your needs consider 3M Dual-lock tape. Works similarly to Velcro but very secure and non-wobbly. Similar in adhesive characteristics to the product being discussed here but makes for easy camera removability. There's a good thread about 3M Dual-Lock Tape on DCT HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool thanks for the info. its nice to come to a forum and good really good help

+1, Dashmellow. Last week I called 3M and talked to a couple of tech support guys, and decided to go with black VHB tape because it is for the "dotted" area of the windshield. I'll deal with the removal issue when I cross that bridge. Right now the important thing is an adhesive that will not give out in ~150 degree F heat which is potentially what we get in the sun at summertime. Here's the thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-wind-shield-by-using-cap-from-pringles.5198/

BTW, one of the 3M techs told me that Amazon.com is an authorized 3M dealer, so if it's sold directly by Amazon itself, you can assume that it's not a counterfeit product.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm... i just noticed the windshield mounts that are sold all over the place have 3m VHB on them... lol i just need to find the most cost affective way of mounting... im kinda leaning towards a rear view mirror mount because i wouldnt mind the mobius poking down slightly under the rear view mirror

I bought the grey version of this (didn't realise at the time) and it's great - today I removed the A118 from the back window and it was definitely stuck on well as it took ten mins to remove!

I just used dental floss to saw through the 3M tape and then it easily peeled off the plastic and window when I could get to it - I'm going to head to the local LIDL tomorrow to see if I can pick up some of the clear stuff around here to try that :)

What does it looks like installed from outside? I noticed clear tape and clear suction has a shine to it that draws attention to it. I'd prefer matte black tape to clear. It's a shame the good/perfect stuff only comes in grey. (strong hold, but not too sticky to remove)

What does it looks like installed from outside? I noticed clear tape and clear suction has a shine to it that draws attention to it. I'd prefer matte black tape to clear. It's a shame the good/perfect stuff only comes in grey. (strong hold, but not too sticky to remove)
VHB comes in black, very high bonding and rated for high temperature, but unfortunately, not that easy to remove. Somebody here suggested using a crowbar :), was it you, Dashmellow?

Hi Niko,
Does it work on the black vinyl dashboard? I tried to use 3M double lock Velcro to stick the cam's main control unit to dash, but it failed for the job. :-(

I have been testing many different manufacturers double-sided tapes for my stock and DIY dashcameras brackets.
Many of them have very strong hold, but the problem comes when you want to remove tape from windshield. Most of them stuck very strong to the glass and it is pain in the ...... to completely remove them.
Month ago I bought 3M transparent double-sided tape from local Lidl. I think it cost 3.99€
Very happy with it:
- clear / transparent
- strong hold
- most important, if I need to remove it, - then it comes off quite easily ( in comparison with others ) in one peace without leaving any marks on windshield.

View attachment 4173

View attachment 4174

View attachment 4175

View attachment 4176

View attachment 4177

View attachment 4178

Hi Niko,
Does it work on the black vinyl dashboard? I tried to use 3M double lock Velcro to stick the cam's main control unit to dash, but it failed for the job. :-(
This particular tape holds on dash, but not with full strenght and only if dash has smooth surface.

Hi Niko,

If you have ever used an automotive car care product such as Armor-All to clean your vinyl dashboard the 3M Dual Lock tape will not adhere. Try cleaning the spot where you want to apply the fasteners with a 50:50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water and you should get better results. Surface preparation is important whenever applying this type of product.

See 3M's VHB Tape Surface Preparation page for more information.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N DIY Projects 2
Back